Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Please keep calling GM and complaining about AFM!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49976)

Tomato 10-30-2009 10:46 PM

Please keep calling GM and complaining about AFM!!!

Looks like they have heard us, as most have seen the "memo" or TSB they issued regarding AFM complaints. Please keep calling them and asking for a way to shut it off. Best/most reasonable would be to disable it when we shift into M/Sport Mode or Competitive Mode on the Stabilitrak.

Easy fix for GM -we just need our voices to be heard!

Mr. Wyndham 10-30-2009 10:49 PM

Shut it off? :iono:
That seems a little counter-productive, don't you think?

kismyss 10-30-2009 10:52 PM

do you have phone numbers of who to call or email addresses how about a petition

ShnOmac 10-30-2009 11:05 PM

If there is a way for the consumer to shut it off(without a tune) that defeats the purpose and the Fuel economy ratings would no longer be valid and could help raise the fleet average. Im just sayin....

Milk 1027 10-30-2009 11:08 PM

yeah, that's just counter-productive

BackinBlackSS/RS 10-30-2009 11:09 PM

Ok, but what about the TSB? What is that all about?

Kodiak Ak 10-30-2009 11:10 PM

I vote that AFM works in drive only. We have VVT, we might as well be able to use it on the longer drives. It will also save future buyers of this car from paying the gas guzzler tax.

Sport/M mode no AFM.:) Give us the option to turn AFM off by shifting in to S/M mode. Sport mode is not very sporty in a 4 cylinder.
:grayvertshift:

Ject 10-30-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodiak Ak (Post 1114050)
I vote that AFM works in drive only. We have VVT, we might as well be able to use it on the longer drives. It will also save future buyers of this car from paying the gas guzzler tax.

Sport/M mode no AFM.:) Give us the option to turn AFM off by shifting in to S/M mode. Sport mode is not very sporty in a 4 cylinder.
:grayvertshift:

lol :word: I agree..
I disagree on the shifting into M to turn off AFM, It would probably still get the gas guzzler tax...
More practical would be when we turn off T/C and Competitive mode on that AFM would be turned off.

the sound of it turning on and off with my exhaust is annoying as h3ll..... not to mention the rumble/vibration feeling i get when i push the gas just a little to kick it back into all 8 cylinders.

GMRULZ 10-31-2009 09:02 AM

turned mine off completely w/ a tune. Picked up 3mpg on the hwy w/ a proper tune and no AFM vs AFM and factory tune. If GM would have just tuned it better they wouldn`t need the stinking AFM to keep from getting the guzzler tax.

Tomato 10-31-2009 10:54 AM

Counter productive? Come on. It's counter intuitive to have AFM kick in if you are driving in Competitive Mode. This suggests, as Chevy calls it, spirited driving. There's no way AFM is going to save fuel if it's kicking on for a few seconds at a time.

I won't argue about the M/S trans setting, but let's get it deactive with Comp mode.

Call 1.800-222-1020. I know I along with several others already have.

DGthe3 10-31-2009 03:17 PM

I can see both sides, but I agree that it doesn't make much sense to have AFM engage while you are in sport or competitive mode.

FEVER 10-31-2009 03:53 PM

I missed the TSB, what did it say.

prostock69 10-31-2009 04:19 PM

We had our car tuned to where it only comes on when the vehicle reaches 55 mph. It is SOOOO much better now, especially if you have headers on your car (which only makes the AFM noise more noticeable and aggravating).

DGthe3 10-31-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostock69 (Post 1116479)
We had our car tuned to where it only comes on when the vehicle reaches 55 mph. It is SOOOO much better now, especially if you have headers on your car (which only makes the AFM noise more noticeable and aggravating).

I thought it already had a similar minimum speed