Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   My Zl1 won't rev past about 4800 ever gear. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294599)

Auszl1 05-10-2013 03:53 AM

My Zl1 won't rev past about 4800 ever gear.

I just picked up my 2013 zl1 it has 3000miles on it.
It won't rev past 4800 rpm and feels like it is hitting a rev limiter. You feel it cut in hard in 1st and 2nd gear. The heads up display flashes the shift light.
Should it rev past this?
What could be wrong?

Thanks

2012-1822 05-10-2013 04:13 AM

Are you really in Australia? Didn't know they were sending the ZL1's down there, I guess why not. Anyway, unless there is just something I don't know about cars for sale where you are at, you ought to be able to wrap that thing up to about 6200 rpms no problem. I do it some what frequently at the track or when I just get the urge getting on the freeway. So take it back to your dealer or which ever GM service center you'll be using.

I hate that you are having an issue, it really is an awesome car. But that's what warranty's are for

Auszl1 05-10-2013 04:20 AM

Thanks for the reply, yes I am an Australian. I ordered the car from California and had it converted to right hand drive. Huge job. I picked it up today and as soon as I hit the highway to give it some, I ran into this prob. The conversion guys will look at it on Monday , over the phone they have no idea what it could be. I have one of the only zl1s in Australia.

2012-1822 05-10-2013 05:00 AM

And one of the only right hand drive ZL1's anywhere. Just curious, did you have to convert it to import it or did you just want to

tmandoug1 05-10-2013 05:27 AM

Sounds like maybe during the conversion over to right hand side they may have missed some wires or maybe missed hooking up an interlock/fuse?

Auszl1 05-10-2013 06:37 AM

Do you really think the conversion is the reason? Yeah your right it may be one of the only right hand drive ZL1's around.

Do you think resetting the ecu will help?

Thanks for your help

Cybeast 05-10-2013 07:05 AM

Maybe conversion messed up pedal sensor.

Auszl1 05-10-2013 07:14 AM

I had to have it converted. It is against the law to drive a left hand drive vehicle. The conversion cost the same as the car believe it or not. Steering parts and dash custom made mirror replica.

Be awesome to find out why I can't rev over 4800rpm. Nowhere to take it in Australia for an easy check up. We don't have Chevrolet here.

rayhawk 05-10-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auszl1 (Post 6526397)
I had to have it converted. It is against the law to drive a left hand drive vehicle. The conversion cost the same as the car believe it or not. Steering parts and dash custom made mirror replica.

Be awesome to find out why I can't rev over 4800rpm. Nowhere to take it in Australia for an easy check up. We don't have Chevrolet here.

Wow, what a waste. Seems like it would be cheaper to put a dummy in the right side seat with a fake wheel and make it look like it is driving!

silverds 05-10-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Take it to Holden. The Camaro is built on the same platform as the Monaro and Commodore. Which Ironically was converted from right hand drive for the U.S. market.

BlackinBlack 05-10-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auszl1 (Post 6526150)
I just picked up my 2013 zl1 it has 3000miles on it.
It won't rev past 4800 rpm and feels like it is hitting a rev limiter. You feel it cut in hard in 1st and 2nd gear. The heads up display flashes the shift light.
Should it rev past this?
What could be wrong?

Thanks

First of all. :welcome:

Interesting that it was converted to right hand drive. Pics???

To me it sounds like the tach is off. The HUD is showing the shift light and the car feels like it is on the limiter then my guess is it is on the limiter. I would check the RPM with a OBD2 plugged in device. It should be able to show the real RPM.

To me it makes more sense that the conversion messed up the tach than the ECU that controls the engine. My 2 cents.

v6sonoma 05-10-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

At best a Holden dealer might have access to the GM tools to figure out the issue. Maybe. If they would even touch it.

Auszl1 05-10-2013 09:12 AM

I have been reading on the forum about the "fuse pull" is this worth trying? If so, is it the same fuses on the zl1? Ecu seems confused. I'm sure the car should be running harder.

HDRDTD 05-10-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackinBlack (Post 6526533)
First of all. :welcome:

Interesting that it was converted to right hand drive. Pics???

To me it sounds like the tach is off. The HUD is showing the shift light and the car feels like it is on the limiter then my guess is it is on the limiter. I would check the RPM with a OBD2 plugged in device. It should be able to show the real RPM.

To me it makes more sense that the conversion messed up the tach than the ECU that controls the engine. My 2 cents.

You could also double-check by noting the speed in each gear at the indicated 4800 rpm.
That 'might' tell us if the tach is reading properly or not.