Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Dust Specks and other Paint Blemishes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253639)

SamHouseIII 10-03-2012 08:05 PM

Dust Specks and other Paint Blemishes

4 Attachment(s)
Took the ZL1 to the dealer about my paint, have about 20 spots that are messed up. I wonder how this got by QA?

They think they can buff them out....we shall see, I don't think so.

closs2sx 10-03-2012 09:21 PM

the dust specs are par for the course got them in mine as well not happy about it but it could be worse i guess

OldScoolCamaro 10-03-2012 09:27 PM

Do yourself a favor. Go out on the Chevy lot and look at other paint jobs, not only on Camaro's, but from other models as well..as closely as you have yours. Do it in bright light, from an angle on and be discriminating. After doing so I feel you may feel your car is within specifications. I did the same thing after looking over my car, and...I received a better understanding of current production vehicle finishes. Not saying you are not right, but, just try it.

Nailn it 10-03-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamHouseIII (Post 5651762)
Took the ZL1 to the dealer about my paint, have about 20 spots that are messed up. I wonder how this got by QA?

They think they can buff them out....we shall see, I don't think so.

Yeah, those are pretty nasty. Mines got quite a few too. I've owned Chevys my whole life and paint jobs have never been their strong suit. My ZL1 has a few, not quite as bad. I have AGM. You can see the primer on a few sections of the hood too where they skimped on the paint. I gotta be honest though, I had a 2012 SS. The body panels were off, trims were a little crooked etc. but my ZL1 is flawless, minus the paint ( could be better) but overall quality makes me proud of Chevy. They really stepped it up. In reality for what we paid for these cars we got a lot! I will take the magnetic ride, badass motor and power train and Launch control over a flawless paint job any day off the week. We got a supercar on a budget. Not downplaying your paint issue, that one in the middle picture is quite nasty, but fixable. Other car company's might have better paint jobs, but they will all get smoked on the track!

SamHouseIII 10-03-2012 10:11 PM

My 2011 2SS IOM paint was flawless. I am not complaining, just would expect that this would be better, dealer is working to fix it.

SlingShot 10-03-2012 10:20 PM

I only found one bad spot about the size of a dime on my hood. A good hand polishing took care of it. I have to say that this car with IOM looks 10x better than my 2010. In my SS I have not been able to find any dirt or bad spots in the paint, not even a run.

Nailn it 10-03-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamHouseIII (Post 5652182)
My 2011 2SS IOM paint was flawless. I am not complaining, just would expect that this would be better, dealer is working to fix it.

Oh, I didn't mean it that way. There's no doubt I would bring it to the dealer. I guess the QC guy needs glasses. They definitely should have caught that. Good luck.

OldScoolCamaro 10-03-2012 10:27 PM

Mine has several different blemishes, fisheye to name one. To fix it "properly" it would require major paint work to repair at a big risk for a few relatively small spots that are hard to see unless you get up to it and look from a trained eyes perspective. I'm not gambling with it. I documented it, but that's as far as I am willing to go because spot or area work is a coin toss. Repainting the whole car? I shudder at that thought.

sammyv 10-03-2012 10:39 PM

Wow! I think I should look mine over a bit closer!

hognutz 10-03-2012 11:39 PM

mine is pretty good. the real issue is I don't trust dealer or repair paintwork. it usually is worse than the factory blems a year or two down the road.

Under flourencent light in my shop the over orange peel affect is there though.
I have notice that all these robotic two stage cars are like this under the right light though. most don't even notice it.

I also had a passenger side rear vlance issue right were it meats the rear quarter in thewheelwell fit issue.

I am not that trusting of dealer work anymore. every time I have had dealer or repair paint work in my life it substandard work. It takes time a patience to do really good body work and that just doesn't pay anymore.

alyssasdad 10-04-2012 04:51 AM

I had the same thing on my roof molding like in photo #1. I used one of those magic erase sponge things(cant remember the name of it) with water and rubbed it a few times and re waxed the area. Its gone. Dont rub hard or it will scratch.

Stephen12ZL1 10-04-2012 05:26 AM

one larger dust fleck here on the roof near the sunroof. other than that mine is pretty clean

SamHouseIII 10-06-2012 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got it back from the dealer today and WOW did they take care of it!! Jim Glover ROCKS!!!

Hercules 10-06-2012 09:36 PM

I have found at least three spots on mine. I look at it that I have to pick and choose my battles. They aren't as bad as yours but I notice them every time I wash it. I also don't trust my dealership or their bodyshop to do it right. My dealership buffed the hood insert so hard their are burn marks, which I haven't taken it back for as of yet, but I do plan on getting that taken care of. That battle, at least for me, is worth fighting. It looks like your dealer did an awesome job.