Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Delete Resonators with X-pipe? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82786)

ducq 05-11-2010 03:26 PM

Delete Resonators with X-pipe?

Hello:headbang: I'm new to camaro5 but have been lurking since I got my 2010 camaro 1SS LS3. I recently put on some borla S-type axle back exhaust on my babygirl and the tone is nice but I was expecting just a bit more of a meat eating sound to it. I now regret not going with the full catback cause the YouTube videos I've seen sound very nice. I was lead to believe there is no difference in sound between the catback vs axle back other than hp gain.

Okay stay with me now:readthethread:

Well I live in California so I can't remove my cats. Borla suggested I buy their x-pipe setup which would give me the piping for my axleback to become what it would have been had I thrown on the catback exhaust but it costs almost 700 bucks! I've read that the resonators act as mid mufflers and tone down sound and raspyness (not as much as the L99 but they do). So I'm thinking, would I be able to put on a magnaflow 2.5" x-pipe and delete resonators with just straight pipe? would that give my exhaust a bit more growl? and would there be problems with magnaflow metal going on borlas 304 stainless steel metal, or would the 2 be far from each other that they wouldn't touch? Sorry I just want my exhaust to sound throatier and not like a BMW!(YouTube 2010 camaro s type axle back):cry:

please don't jack my thread with intake questions I see that happening a lot haha:bow:

96rss/ls6 05-11-2010 07:43 PM

I dont think many people are responding here because of all the variables going on here. The s type is definately quiet. As far as the x pipe sound it will change the sound, but it sounds to me like you are really just looking for more volume. The resonator delete may give you a little more sound. And cuttting off the rear set of cats would probably give you a little more. But I would suggest finding the sound you want and then try to trade with someone in the classified forums that wants there car more quiet.

caverman 05-11-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96rss/ls6 (Post 1839779)
I dont think many people are responding here because of all the variables going on here. The s type is definately quiet. As far as the x pipe sound it will change the sound, but it sounds to me like you are really just looking for more volume. The resonator delete may give you a little more sound. And cuttting off the rear set of cats would probably give you a little more. But I would suggest finding the sound you want and then try to trade with someone in the classified forums that wants there car more quiet.

I would probably have to agree with this.

You're probably better off selling your axle-back for 50%-60% of what they go for. Then use that money to buy either the Magnaflow Comp 2.5" cat-back or the SOLO Mach X. Both of these are basically a resonated x-pipe with a muffler delete.

You can get the Magnaflow from MagnaflowPlus.com for about $650 shipped if you call them (don't go by their web site prices). For the SOLO you'll have to buy from them for about $750 shipped.

Do a search on the forum for both of these systems. There is plenty of info and videos out there.

Jason@JacFab 05-11-2010 11:07 PM

Just for your reference, I just did the X-pipe w/ resonator delete on my car this last sunday...

The thread is here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82032

I went with the Dynomax Axleback, hoping it would be louder, BUT I had to go a little farther. Deleting the resonators didn't make a HUGE difference, but it is noticeable, probably more in person than on the videos. Deffinitely louder under load.

There is a before the X-pipe and resonator delete, and an after X-pipe and resonator delete video, both with the axleback installed. I don't have a video of stock. Check it out, maybe it will give you an idea if doing the x-pipe & resonator delete is enough.

I pretty much did mine myself for $111 dollars. If your axle back is like mine, it doesn't go past the front of the axle, and you still have factory pipe. Look into the Edelbrock 6717 setup ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-6716/ ), you have to cut your factory pipes, but I think it would probably work fine with your borla axleback, and not hurt your wallet. Unfortunately, I built my setup before I ever knew this Edelbrock piece existed.:-/

ducq 05-12-2010 01:26 AM

Yea sorry for my jumbled up post, i wrote it up on my iphone while in my work truck on break. I just have so much running through my mind about my car! haha i spend all my off time looking up parts and skimming through these forums. Well i don't think ill be removing my borla axle backs to sell them, i just want to modify them a bit. I do like the tone they have, i just want to add a bit of a raspy growl to it.

i can notice the difference between the two racnjsn. It did pick up just a bit more of a chunky rasp to the exhaust. It's just about the same change in my exhaust im looking for, perhaps a better quality X-pipe might give just a bit more? i don't know if different metals and slightly different shapes to the X-pipe make a difference.

Edrock 05-12-2010 06:44 AM

Check out the clips in my sig for some samples. Not apples to apples but gives you some idea of resonator delete. I'd say go for it. I'm glad I did. You should be able to get a local muffler shop to do this for a fairly good price. Good luck.

AlSuwaidi 05-12-2010 06:50 AM

Im lost..

Jason@JacFab 05-12-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducq (Post 1841190)
It's just about the same change in my exhaust im looking for, perhaps a better quality X-pipe might give just a bit more? i don't know if different metals and slightly different shapes to the X-pipe make a difference.

If I could do it again, I'd get the edelbrock piece. I think it's the only one available that I've seen that replaces the H pipe with an X and deletes the resonators in one shot, and if there is more, the edelbrock one is probably the easiest on the pocket book. Unfortunately, i'd never seen it advertized, and didn't know it existed before I built mine.

longbeachss2010 05-12-2010 10:55 AM

JUST GET AN X PIPE. AND GET WHAT U NEED. I GOT STARIGHT PIPES NO RESO. ND NO X PIPE.

miSSouri_5 04-04-2011 04:48 PM

I just put on Flowmaster Axle-back exhaust. Good for now, but I can see replacing resonator with the Edelbrock X-pipe in the future.

SS>GT 07-26-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 (Post 1840763)
Just for your reference, I just did the X-pipe w/ resonator delete on my car this last sunday...

The thread is here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82032

I went with the Dynomax Axleback, hoping it would be louder, BUT I had to go a little farther. Deleting the resonators didn't make a HUGE difference, but it is noticeable, probably more in person than on the videos. Deffinitely louder under load.

There is a before the X-pipe and resonator delete, and an after X-pipe and resonator delete video, both with the axleback installed. I don't have a video of stock. Check it out, maybe it will give you an idea if doing the x-pipe & resonator delete is enough.

I pretty much did mine myself for $111 dollars. If your axle back is like mine, it doesn't go past the front of the axle, and you still have factory pipe. Look into the Edelbrock 6717 setup ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-6716/ ), you have to cut your factory pipes, but I think it would probably work fine with your borla axleback, and not hurt your wallet. Unfortunately, I built my setup before I ever knew this Edelbrock piece existed.:-/

That X-pipe is no longer available from summit racing. Do you know of anywhere else to get it?

axis 07-26-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS>GT (Post 3524233)
That X-pipe is no longer available from summit racing. Do you know of anywhere else to get it?

There are several other companies that make X pipes. Depending on what you want, the prices vary. Magnaflow makes a universal 2.5in True X pipe for around $75 that works great and fits perfectly. It's a weld in piece though, unless you want to put a bunch of clamps in a small area.

Camaro_Custom_Painted 07-26-2011 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ordered my x-pipe from Heartthrob. A very good fit and sound. It was $105 and my local shop welded it in for $48.

SS_Matt 10-18-2011 09:48 PM

I have the Flowmaster Outlaw axleback. It's definitely loud enough, but I'm wondering what an X pipe like this would do for the tone.
Can someone describe the difference in tone?

Also... in that pic- how does the welder weld the top of that pipe when it's up so close to the car? :iono:

Thanks for any feedback.