Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ok a bit concerned about my apex catch can. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362517)

Trob85 06-07-2014 07:45 PM

Ok a bit concerned about my apex catch can.

Ok so it's been about 50 miles since installing it, maybe a bit less, and I checked it for oil and nothing not even a hint of mist. Granted it's been only cruising not much getting on it. Should I be concerned or is my engine being efficient and not creating a lot of blow by.

fif_gen_powa 06-07-2014 08:14 PM

That not good man I'd seriously stop driving the car until you figure out what's going on

Ohten 06-07-2014 08:17 PM

I agree I would not drive it any more.

GMTool 06-07-2014 08:31 PM

I don't have a cc, but if I did and from what I have read I would think you need to put a lot more than 50 easy miles on it to see if it's doing it's job.

Trob85 06-07-2014 08:41 PM

Well when I initially got the can I followed some horrible directions and routed it wrong causing my rear main to have blow by if not blowing it out, not sure yet. But I rerouted the system the correct way and haven't seen any oil leak from the rear main. Also I have a Procharger if that makes a difference. I believe it is sucking air just worried the can isn't stopping the crap from going to the intake I'm going to check the lines a will post if I find anything in the lines.

Pace 06-07-2014 09:01 PM

Give it some aggressive driving and more mileage. Also check the can when everything is still warm. Use gloves.

Trob85 06-07-2014 09:14 PM

Ok little update checked every line no restrictions from the nipple in the rear, not a pcv valve I assume, nothing restricting the line to the manifold. When I blew through line with the bottom off it worked fine. No I'm not proud of this but I put a line on the nipple "pcv" on the drivers cover and sucked on it to see if it was something internal, nope worked properly. Even checked the clean side line to the supercharger inlet neither line looked like it had oil in it, dry as could be. I assume if blow by gasses were going to the can or inlet of the charger there would be some sort of residue so I'm wondering if I'm being to nice to the car and not giving the can something to work with.

mikeyg36 06-07-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubzzz44 (Post 7726804)
That not good man I'd seriously stop driving the car until you figure out what's going on

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohten (Post 7726809)
I agree I would not drive it any more.

Please tell me that's sarcasm.

Todd in Vancouver 06-07-2014 09:46 PM

Also have a Apex CC on my ZL and it has worked great. I get oil out of mine when I check it once a month but I also do 1-2 track days a month as well so mine does get driven more than just cruising.

OzzySS 06-07-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyg36 (Post 7727018)

sure hope so...

anyway OP, i didn't have anything collected for several hundred miles, so i just stopped checking until i added a couple thousand miles. then i got a couple ounces outta mine.

give it time to collect something noticeable if you've double-checked your install.

Ohten 06-07-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyg36 (Post 7727018)

It is,I would stop driving a car that shows no signs of sucking oil through the intake.

In the short time that the catch can has been installed be happy you have not found anything.

briancb1 06-08-2014 08:52 AM

Youre not getting any oil in there because you didn't prime the can prior to starting the car.

Remove the hose that connects the catch can to the intake manifold. Put it between your lips, have your girlfriend start your car and suck as hard as you can. When you get dizzy that means its primed. Reconnect the hose and you're good to go.

Bad@ssCamaro 06-08-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancb1 (Post 7727654)
Youre not getting any oil in there because you didn't prime the can prior to starting the car.

Remove the hose that connects the catch can to the intake manifold. Put it between your lips, have your girlfriend start your car and suck as hard as you can. When you get dizzy that means its primed. Reconnect the hose and you're good to go.

:bellyroll:

Apex Motorsports 06-08-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trob85 (Post 7726760)
Ok so it's been about 50 miles since installing it, maybe a bit less, and I checked it for oil and nothing not even a hint of mist. Granted it's been only cruising not much getting on it. Should I be concerned or is my engine being efficient and not creating a lot of blow by.

We use a large filtration chamber with a lot of media in it. At 50 miles there is probably a small amount captured in the media that has not drained out yet. 50 miles is way too soon to expect to see anything. Wait until 500.