Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   2011 V6 vs 2008 V8 Mustang (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301065)

esponda 06-10-2013 11:37 AM

2011 V6 vs 2008 V8 Mustang

So my called me out.

He has a 2008 V8 Mustang: CAI, Pypes O/R H, Tune (think it is a manual).

I have a 2011 V6 Camaro: Automatic, CAI, Long tubes, high flow cats, cat back exhaust, trifecta tune, isolator, ported intake, ported throttle body. Tires are motivos. Camshafts are on the way so I could potentially wait for those to be in my car too.

Don't know we will get to a strip. But I'm curious what you all think.

Oh and we are both noobs who have never been to a drag strip....

jlawrence613 06-10-2013 12:01 PM

If he can drive and you race at the strip I think he MIGHT have you beat. His car could be anywhere from a 13.6 to a 14.3 depending on his driving ability and weather conditions. I have very limited interaction with the V6 Camaro. Check your fastlist and compare mods. I'd imagine you'll be in the mid to low 14's. MAYBE a 13.9 if everything is favorable.

Good Luck.

shiznight 06-10-2013 12:08 PM

i had his mods and on street tires i managed to cut the best of a 2.1 60ft (factory 19's) and ran 13.60's in 500 d/a. i was an auto there for a bit easier to launch. also my car was a 2010 mustang gt which had a factory cold air intake. but i also had catless h-pipe and tune, but that was the best i could get out that car with factory 3.31's on those tires. wemt 13.20's with dr's and 12.80s with gears. so imo if you can launch the car as an auto and knowing him he will dump the clutch you will win. newer stick drivers tend to get over excited when people are watching and choke on the launch

shiznight 06-10-2013 12:09 PM

btw stall the car to 900ish-1k rpms (one tire fire camaros dont hook) and ease into the launch. get there early and get a few runs in before you two line up. you should win imo if you can launch properly

FaytalsCamaro 06-10-2013 12:54 PM

Thats gonna be a close race...hope you have the ability to record it. I would definitely be interested in the outcome

KMPrenger 06-10-2013 01:43 PM

Both noobs at the strip...should be fun! (unless you guys hate each other or something lol)

Of course I'm rooting for you, but the GT has the advantage with the lighter weight, better torque, and gearing. You may have a slight HP advantage...maybe.

The key to winning this race will be the launch...as in you need to get yours the best it can be, and he needs to spin his launch. If he lauches perfectly he will get out to an early lead and you won't be able to real him in.

Do as shiznight says. Hold your left foot on brake. Bring rpms up to about 800 - 1000 at the most. When the last yellow light is flashing release the brake and apply the throttle quickly. I'm not sure mashing it is the best, but you don't want to roll on it like a grandma either. Definitely use sport mode, and at least spin the tires to clean them off before your run. If you don't mind it, you should spin them good to get some heat in them.

Best of luck and don't forget to let us know the outcome! Don't wait for cams!

esponda 06-10-2013 02:25 PM

I'll try to get it recorded. Camshafts come in this week hopefully...they were mailed back to me the beginning of this month.

We both compete in some other sports so I guess its only natural that this was gonna happen haha.

Agarc 06-10-2013 02:36 PM

yea i had a steeda cold air sct tune and axle backs and ran 13.6 pretty easy

DarkneSS 06-10-2013 02:39 PM

He definitely has the advantage on paper but in the real world auto > manual for racing, don't care what anyone says. I'd say if you guys raced 5 times you would probably win 3-4 of the 5. What rim + tire set up are you running though?

Biscuitpie 06-10-2013 02:51 PM

It will be a decent race but if he get's 4.10's then you're screwed.

08-G35s/6MT 06-10-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkneSS (Post 6653208)
He definitely has the advantage on paper but in the real world auto > manual for racing, don't care what anyone says. I'd say if you guys raced 5 times you would probably win 3-4 of the 5. What rim + tire set up are you running though?

From a roll in real world manual > auto, from a dig auto > manual.

The 3v will win easily, Camaro might kind of keep up or get ahead to 70 or so... but past that the 3v will walk away.

esponda 06-10-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkneSS (Post 6653208)

20" nitto motivos, 245 and 275. Not the ideal set up but the hankooks were terrifying to drive in the slightest of snow to say the least...I don't know his tire set up but he has not changed his tires as far as I know.

DarkneSS 06-10-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT (Post 6653495)
From a roll in real world manual > auto, from a dig auto > manual.

The 3v will win easily, Camaro might kind of keep up or get ahead to 70 or so... but past that the 3v will walk away.

Only if you're talking about identical model cars, then the manual has the advantage on a roll otherwise automagic all day.

And from experience I can tell you you have it completely reversed. 3vs advantage is down low with the big torque advantage, if he drives it right he'll pull lengths and the rest of the race he'll just hold the lead. V6 camaro has better top end, 6 speeds vs 5.
Quote:

Originally Posted by esponda (Post 6653842)
20" nitto motivos, 245 and 275. Not the ideal set up but the hankooks were terrifying to drive in the slightest of snow to say the least...I don't know his tire set up but he has not changed his tires as far as I know.

Those tires are honestly terrible for drag racing, very stiff lol . The 20s are slowing you down too of course but they do actually make the car easier to launch. If you can get off the line and cut a 2.1-2.2 60' I think it will be a close race. I doubt you'll cut anything better than that but unless hes a good driver he'll probably cut 2.3s-2.5s which should give you the W.

Good luck!

2012 Mustang GT 06-10-2013 09:45 PM

3V makes power down low. If you can stay with him or get ahead on the launch you should stay ahead. 3V dont like to rev just like the older 2V 4.6's they just make more power b/c of the extra air flow. You definitely have the advantage out the hole unless he is Evan Smith Jr. He's probably going to spin