Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Performance upgrades (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6984)

playhard67 09-21-2008 09:19 PM

Performance upgrades

I'm not knowledgeable on this and hope that you guys could offer advice.

Based on what I've read and seen (I was at INDY), I'm thinking of possibly outfitting my SS2 with the following upgrades from Day One.

What do you think? What would you do differently? What would you add?

1. GMPP Cam swap (I read somewhere on this board months back about a certain cam that can be swapped in)
2. Cat back Exhaust
3. Pedders Street II

MCPOAJ 09-21-2008 09:29 PM

zz572 620R swap.../thread lol

Thrasherman 09-21-2008 11:31 PM

Playhard-
I'm sure you are aware that would probably void the old warranty? I'm planning on running the warranty out before any mods. I did it to my Corvette with only 2900 miles on it and I wish now I would have waited....but only you can make that choice...Keep us posted.

playhard67 09-22-2008 06:44 AM

I understand the Pedders would (don't know if it voids only the suspension related parts??

But, if i get the Cat Back and Cam from GMPP and have the dealer install it at the time of purchase...won't that keep the warranty?

radz28 09-22-2008 09:47 AM

I don't think opening up the engine, regardless of using GM parts (unless you're replacing or repairing for warranty purposes) will allow you to keep your powertrain warranty. If you put a cam in there, I don't think you're keeping any warranty; catbacks and CAIs- different story.

The_Blur 09-22-2008 10:05 AM

You won't void the warranty by adding new parts unless the new parts break old, warranted parts. Read this law.

Those are winning parts. I would wait a couple of weeks. Even if you can afford the SS out of pocket, it is a lot of money to throw at something at once. You'll probably appreciate the mods more if you know how stock feels for a while.

Otherwise, these are great choices for starting a seriously modified Camaro.

MCPOAJ 09-22-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playhard67 (Post 135188)
I understand the Pedders would (don't know if it voids only the suspension related parts??

But, if i get the Cat Back and Cam from GMPP and have the dealer install it at the time of purchase...won't that keep the warranty?

basic boltons won't void your warrenty

radz28 09-23-2008 09:25 AM

Just to be clear on what my point(s) were is that if you open up that engine, and there is a problem with it later down the road, they are going to screwtinize whatever you've done very hard. To put it a different way, just because I added headers to my '02, I had the dealer pretty much start a witch hunt on me; I got the area GM service rep' involved, and he didn't help much either.

I'm not saying any of this to bash GM. If you think about it, any modifications you make push certain aspects of the car out of design parameters. Sure, there are safety factors the engineers have accounted for and engineered into the car, but talking cams means higher revs', which means sturdier valvetrain is necessary, the oil thickness and protection differs that from which the engine was tested under and tollerances may no longer be optimal, and blah blah blah. In another instance, I learned that, at least in the recent past, there have been programming to even protect the cats' from being over heated, so the PCM will actually adjust the air/fuel ratio to keep them from burning up. That can actually hurt performance a little but in the interest of keeping the emissions system healthy.

I'm no engineer nor have a tenth of the knowledge these people would have, however, I'd done enough research to begin to understand everything they take into account to deliver us a car that will last a long time. When someone goes and starts changing things, it throws a lot out of whack and just know that if you want to play, you gotta' pay. I'm sure nothing would really go wrong with adding a cam, in all seriousness, just keep in mind if something does, I wouldn't expect the dealer (especially in my experience) to be on your side.

I just wanted to clarify a little in the even I was unclear :D

The_Blur 09-23-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 136356)
Just to be clear on what my point(s) were is that if you open up that engine, and there is a problem with it later down the road, they are going to screwtinize whatever you've done very hard. To put it a different way, just because I added headers to my '02, I had the dealer pretty much start a witch hunt on me; I got the area GM service rep' involved, and he didn't help much either.

I'm not saying any of this to bash GM. If you think about it, any modifications you make push certain aspects of the car out of design parameters. Sure, there are safety factors the engineers have accounted for and engineered into the car, but talking cams means higher revs', which means sturdier valvetrain is necessary, the oil thickness and protection differs that from which the engine was tested under and tollerances may no longer be optimal, and blah blah blah. In another instance, I learned that, at least in the recent past, there have been programming to even protect the cats' from being over heated, so the PCM will actually adjust the air/fuel ratio to keep them from burning up. That can actually hurt performance a little but in the interest of keeping the emissions system healthy.

I'm no engineer nor have a tenth of the knowledge these people would have, however, I'd done enough research to begin to understand everything they take into account to deliver us a car that will last a long time. When someone goes and starts changing things, it throws a lot out of whack and just know that if you want to play, you gotta' pay. I'm sure nothing would really go wrong with adding a cam, in all seriousness, just keep in mind if something does, I wouldn't expect the dealer (especially in my experience) to be on your side.

I just wanted to clarify a little in the even I was unclear :D

That's not bashing GM at all. As I see it, more weight it put on the tuner to make sure that the parts added are in balance. Today's performance engines are already pushed pretty hard out of the factory. To avoid pushing limits too far, tuners must learn more about what needs to be installed and how to install these parts at the same time to prevent overdoing one or more parts of the car. My favorite example is forced induction. If you get an expensive supercharger kit, you can't forget to add pistons and beams or one of many other internal mods to keep the car from blowing up. Cams sound great, but without supporting mods, the engine is likely to be pushed too hard over time. When this happens, GM won't accept your warranty because it is your new parts that caused damage to old parts.

Basically, the Camaro will be great out of the factory, but car enthusiasts tend to want more power. That greed inspires some great modifications and custom jobs, but doing that without the right research or advice can cost a driver the car. Be careful. :thumbsup:

SS4EVER 09-23-2008 10:13 AM

Also it's going to vary dealer to dealer. Some dealers are complete a-holes, and other dealers can be really good about it.

I really don't know what's going to be available for launch, but if I wanted to get the most power that I could from the exhaust I wouldn't just get the cat-back. If anything it'll give you better sound. You need long tubes, headers, high flow cat. Just not sure if that will be out right away.

Mblock66 09-23-2008 10:25 AM

I agree 100% with radz. This is a fluffly law to make you think you are covered. Dealers know nothing about it and it would be up to you to take them to court on YOUR dime. It is almost never worth it and you will be SOL. Believe me been there MANY times.

Acura almost denied my claim on a faulty auto trans on my 2001 CL type S b/c I had an AEM intake on the car. They stated that the intake brought the car to new HP levels that this transmission was not built for (btw intake added 7 total HP). Therefore it prematurely wore out the trans. Car had 2900 miles on it and 1000 only with the intake. I finally convinced the GM of the dealer that this is a bogus move on them and we all know it isn't the cause when there were CL trans failures all over the place almost causing a recall.

On my subaru they refused to cover a transmission due to a cat back system ONLY on the car. Basically the same explaination as Acura, but this time they brought the "zonal" rep in and they said no so it ended there. I called Subaru of America saying that subaru offers a cat back system for this car, I simply bought another brand but no dice. I paid over 3 grand for a used trans to be put in the car.

So seriously don't live in this cloud that you will be covered. Pay to play.

playhard67 09-26-2008 08:41 PM

I appreciate all the replies. Thank you. My dealer said any GMPP parts installed by the Dealer will be fully covered under warranty..but, I can see where they may then say that the part caused something else to fail and that isn't covered....

But, pardon me, I'm still confused why would GMPP offer a catback and cam for this car, but then say that it caused other failures?.

69 Hugger 09-26-2008 08:58 PM

Can you order an Ls7/Ls9 for the camaro ? only reason I ask is I read a thread, in it someone was putting an Ls7 in the car. wishfull thinking. thought there were only two V8s one for the Auto and the other for the Manual

Camaro0911 09-26-2008 09:18 PM

Does anyone know if the electronic limiter be removed from the SS?