Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   GMPP Camshaft (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21285)

Camaro_Psycho 05-04-2009 06:57 PM

GMPP Camshaft

I have a couple of questions. Is it possible to change the camshaft with the motor still mounted in the car? Also at what horsepower/torque would you say the internals should be changed to forged?

Thanks

detroitboy 05-04-2009 08:56 PM

I would also like to know the easiest way to change the cam on this car. I've heard that you can change to the GMPP 376/480 cam and not have to change your valvesprings too. A cam change is never as simple as "the old days" on these new cars, its just a matter of how bad its going to be.

CWI 05-04-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detroitboy (Post 457617)
I would also like to know the easiest way to change the cam on this car. I've heard that you can change to the GMPP 376/480 cam and not have to change your valvesprings too. A cam change is never as simple as "the old days" on these new cars, its just a matter of how bad its going to be.

I'm guessing the 376/480 cam is the "Hot Cam", It does require new springs.

I was just quoted the whole package done by my dealer would run about $3200. That's for the cam, springs, gaskets and labor. They also said that "because the cam is not made specifically for the Camaro it would void the GM warranty."

They said 22 hours labor. Sounds like a lot to me.

ZZcamaro 05-04-2009 11:52 PM

That is nearly 1k more than I woudl expect. Shop around you can get better numbers installed for a better price....I will post my cam info once the buildis comeplete!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by CWIweldace (Post 457984)
I'm guessing the 376/480 cam is the "Hot Cam", It does require new springs.

I was just quoted the whole package done by my dealer would run about $3200. That's for the cam, springs, gaskets and labor. They also said that "because the cam is not made specifically for the Camaro it would void the GM warranty."

They said 22 hours labor. Sounds like a lot to me.

Justin 05-05-2009 01:20 AM

The advantage of doing it at the dealer is that usually it won't void your warranty/is warrantied by GM. In this case, I'd say take it to another shop unless they "make one specifically for the Camaro."

rayhawk 05-05-2009 06:08 AM

The cam can definitely be swapped with the engine in the car, not sure how much work it will be. As for HP levels on stock internals, if you stay N/A, I think you will be pretty safe with full bolt ons, cam, intake, headers, exhaust, tune which should get you around 500 (flywheel)hp, maybe more. With some nice heads I am sure you could see 525 without too much trouble. Personally I would'nt want to extend the rpm range much without moving to forged components, it all just depends what you want to do with the car. Look at the GM performance engines they sell, such as the 515 hp version of the LS3, which has a better (carbureted) manifold, and the hot cam, so if that has the standard cast crank, etc. you know they have tested that combo to live.

Andro 05-05-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayhawk (Post 458491)
The cam can definitely be swapped with the engine in the car, not sure how much work it will be. As for HP levels on stock internals, if you stay N/A, I think you will be pretty safe with full bolt ons, cam, intake, headers, exhaust, tune which should get you around 500 (flywheel)hp, maybe more. With some nice heads I am sure you could see 525 without too much trouble. Personally I would'nt want to extend the rpm range much without moving to forged components, it all just depends what you want to do with the car. Look at the GM performance engines they sell, such as the 515 hp version of the LS3, which has a better (carbureted) manifold, and the hot cam, so if that has the standard cast crank, etc. you know they have tested that combo to live.

+1 On the money :thumbsup:

UsedTaHaveA68 05-05-2009 02:42 PM

The GMPP catalog (http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...09_Catalog.pdf) talks about the components in the LS engines on page 84 of the .pdf file.

Quote:

LS3/L99
Introduced on the 2008 Corvette, the LS3 brought LS base performance to an
unprecedented level: 430 horsepower from 6.2L (376 cubic-inches)—making it
the most powerful base Corvette engine in history. The LS3 block not only has
larger bores than the LS2, but a strengthened casting to support more powerful
6.2L engines. The LS3 is offered in the Pontiac G8 GXP and is also the standard
V-8 engine in the new, 2010 Camaro SS. The L99 version is equipped with GM’s
fuel-saving Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation system and is standard
on 2010 Camaro SS models equipped with an automatic transmission.

Connecting Rods
LS connecting rods are very similar and mostly interchangeable. Most are made
of powdered metal, while the LS7 and LS9 rods are forged titanium. Rods
lengths are similar, too, at 6.098-inch for 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L and 6.2L engines. The
4.8L engine uses 6.275-inch rods and the LS7 uses 6.067-inch rods. Since 2006,
LS rods use bushed small ends. Also, LS6 rods bolts (P/N 11600158) offer a
strength-enhancing upgrade to pre-2000 engines. Finally, the LS7 and LS9 rods
have a slightly different size than other LS rods, requiring a unique bearing
(P/N 89017811).
Pistons
The LS9 is the only production LS engine with forged aluminum pistons; all the
other engines use hypereutectic (cast) aluminum alloy pistons—varied mostly
by diameter to accommodate various bore sizes. LS cast pistons shouldn’t
be used on applications greater than approximately 550 horsepower. The LS7
piston’s inner bracing and larger pin diameter require the use of the matching
LS7 connecting rod. The same is true for LS9 pistons; they require the use of LS9
connecting rods.
Crankshafts
Generally, LS crankshafts are similar in design, with identical 2.10-inch rod and
2.65-inch main journal sizes and a common rear main seal. All production LS
engines use iron crankshafts except the LS7, LS9 and LSA; they use forged
steel cranks (4.00-inch stroke on the LS7; 3.62-inch stroke on the LS9 and LSA).
The crankshaft sensing function of the distributorless ignition system depends
on reading the toothed reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. Early LS engines
mostly used 24-tooth wheels and upgraded a few years ago to 58-tooth (also
known as 58X) wheels. When building an LS engine, it is imperative that the
correct reluctor wheel is used with the compatible crankshaft position sensor
and ignition controller.
The crankshafts are mostly interchangeable, but the snouts on LS7 and LS9
crankshafts are approximately one-inch longer to accommodate their two-stage
oil pumps that work with the engines’ dry-sump oiling systems. These forged
crankshafts can be used on wet-sump engines by using a few specific components
and/or modifications (see page 218).
The easiest way to put a forged stroker crankshaft in your LS engine is using
GM Performance Parts’ new LSX crankshafts, which are available in four stroke
sizes up to 4.125 inches. They feature the standard-length snout and can be
used without modification on most engines. LS7 and LS9 crankshafts can be
used, but require special components and/or modifications to their snouts to
accommodate standard, wet-sump oiling systems.
So everything in an LS3 should hold up to 550 hp.

And you DO NOT have to replace the valve springs. The springs that come in the HOT cam kit are standard LS6 valve springs. The same springs that come stock on the LS3 heads. The HOT cam actually has less lift than the stock camshaft. So your dealer that is selling you the whole kit is ripping you off. Your brand new engine does not need to have the springs/shims replaced. And 3200??? That's robbery. But, if they honor your warranty, it could be worth it.

Crowley 05-05-2009 03:05 PM

Good info above ^^^ .. thanks,

Crowley

Robin Lawrence 05-05-2009 03:07 PM

:D

Robin

detroitboy 05-06-2009 12:42 AM

Wow...for 3200 I can do a lot of replacing of additional things myself further down the road. Thanks to all for the info. Lots of options to consider here, with the first one being that if I void my warranty with the long tube headers and the tune to go along with it most everything after that is a moot point. And thats pretty much a base starting point.

So its pretty much a decision to just add a cat back exhaust and keeping the warranty or going "all in" and tossing the warranty.

Looks like a good option would be to drive it stock for a year to make sure the drivetrain is fine, and just accumulate parts in the meanwhile. When I'm confident the drivetrain has no issues use the winter months to throw in the cam etc. and just do it all myself. Not much else to do for a few weeks mid winter anyhow, and thats what a heated garage is supposed to be used for. Back to basic hotrodding 101 and all the skinned knuckles that go along with it......

CWI 05-07-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 (Post 459459)
The GMPP catalog (http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...09_Catalog.pdf) talks about the components in the LS engines on page 84 of the .pdf file.

So everything in an LS3 should hold up to 550 hp.

And you DO NOT have to replace the valve springs. The springs that come in the HOT cam kit are standard LS6 valve springs. .

First of all you can get the Hot Cam with or without the springs. The Hot Cam does have less lift. Bad is that with less lift there is less spring torque when the valves are closed, therefore the valves may tend to float easier and close slower. I think i would opt for the newer springs to remedy this. Better safe than sorry. And although there is less lift there is longer duration, This extended duration can fatigue the retainers. Some people may have good luck with stock parts but I for one am not going to half ass my work.
And there is no way I am paying The $3200 for a simple cam swap for a mild cam. I can get a more aggressive yet drivable cam and do it my self for a lot less.

UsedTaHaveA68 05-07-2009 08:13 PM

What does the lower lift have to do with torquing the springs? They're going to be at the same installed height anyway. And the lower lift coupled with the longer duration will actually be easier on the springs because the camshaft ramp rate is slower than stock. I understand the springs will be compressed for a longer period of time, but slower compression rates are easier on springs than faster ones because of less heat build up.

Besides, as mentioned previously, the springs that come with the HOT cam are stock LS6 springs. Which just so happen to be the same springs that come in your brand new LS3. Now if you've got 40,000 miles on your car then sure, it's worth the extra $250 for the new springs, but if your car is brand new, IMO you're just wasting money.

Scooter 05-08-2009 06:20 AM

Check out the new Hot Rod mag, for it has several aftermarket CAMS available for the LS3 engine.