Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Australia (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Good news for Aussies Camaro gets nod (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62626)

Dagabond 01-26-2010 06:24 AM

Good news for Aussies Camaro gets nod

Hey guys new member from downunder....was trawling round when the Camaro was first released but lost interest when there was talk down here that the Camaro wasnt coming:cry:...all that changed last week with the VERY good news that we are to get another shot at importing them back here....:thumbup:

Quote:

Right-hand drive Camaro gets nod

Australians will decide their own future with the Chevrolet Camaro after a high-level go-ahead from Detroit.
A right-hand drive version of the Commodore-based coupe is now cleared for takeoff and only needs a money-making plan from Fishermans Bend to make it happen. The worldwide product boss of General Motors, Bob Lutz, confirms the right-side steering plan for the Camaro during a comprehensive new- model update for Australian reporters during the Detroit Motor Show, showing his usual enthusiasm for anything spun from the VE Commodore on the go-faster front.
"I think you can pretty much count on a right-hand-drive Camaro," says Lutz. "The Camaro at some point will be factory right-hand-drive. That is what we are currently looking at ... with a great deal of focus, built in the plant in Canada and shipped to right-hand-drive markets from Canada."
The original GM plan for the Camaro called for right-hand drive and a convertible in 2011, but the extensions from the basic coupe — which was engineered in Australia for North American production and sales — were delayed by the impact of the global financial crisis and last year's GM bankruptcy proceedings.

But the convertible is now back on the map and the Australian import plan is also picking up pace. Even so, the head of GM Holden is sounding a warning. "It's not a done deal yet. We still have to put together a business plan," says Alan Batey, president of Holden, also speaking in Detroit.
Batey is worried that enthusiasm will overtake commonsense on the Camaro and wants to wait until his sales and marketing team is able to complete some serious customer research. He is also worried about the long-term future of a Camaro in Australia, because of unstable exchange rates, and worries about introducing the Chevrolet brand following the failures of Daewoo, Hummer, Saab and Cadillac — which never even get off the launch pad — as brand extensions for Holden.
Batey knows there is a strong call for the Camaro and only has to look at the success of the home-grown Monaro to know a Commodore coupe can work. But he refuses to get carried away. "Let's wait and see. It's early days," he says. "We've had our hand up for this car since we did the engineering work in Australia. It now depends on how quickly we can get it. We've always wanted it. We'll take it, but it depends on how soon it becomes available."
Lutz is, typically, rushing ahead and can see no reason to delay a right-hand drive version of the Camaro. He knows Australia is the key but can see export potential to Britain and South Africa.
"With the currency and so on we now have a golden opportunity to export from the United States, and with the excellence of the product we really should be pushing exports," Lutz says. "Most of the parts are there. All we have to do really is reverse the instrument panel. All of the right-hand drive bits are a given because of the Holden architecture."
http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...amaro_gets_nod

So now its just a matter of sitting back on our hands and waiting another 12 months again...:iono:...good thing I guess is it'll give me time to save a few bucks up and import a 'few' aftermarket parts...

Andrew MacTavish 01-31-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagabond (Post 1417512)
Hey guys new member from downunder....was trawling round when the Camaro was first released but lost interest when there was talk down here that the Camaro wasnt coming:cry:...all that changed last week with the VERY good news that we are to get another shot at importing them back here....:thumbup:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...amaro_gets_nod

So now its just a matter of sitting back on our hands and waiting another 12 months again...:iono:...good thing I guess is it'll give me time to save a few bucks up and import a 'few' aftermarket parts...

G'day Mate!
Great news about the Camaro Coming to OZ! I'm an Aussie living over in the USA, in Seattle Wa. It's Awesome seeing these beast drive around here!! I also have my designs on the site here, (Photoshop/Rendering) Check it out, Some nice work on the site.

Andrew.

Jason 04-19-2010 05:42 AM

There are a few here in NZ, I've only seen one of them, but is is awesome, there is a transformers eddition in a car shop just south of me, it is on trade me at the moment

Wanwo 01-13-2011 05:30 PM

I just wonder about the price. A year ago Holden boss said 'beyond $75,000' which is just over twice the price of the U.S. version.

In comparison the RHD Chrysler 300C's sold here go for just under double their U.S price.

There's no way I would spend this much money on car (even if I had the money), so I'll be waiting-out the second hand market, if I get one at all.

$35K feels about right for me. Could be a long wait. And in the mean time I'll probably buy something sensible like a honda civic and be completely happy with it and forget about owning a camaro.

nbsp 02-09-2011 10:14 PM

@Wanwo - pretty sure the RHD's have been canned, copule months after the last guys post.

BackinBlackSS/RS 02-09-2011 10:23 PM

That is awesome!!! Congrats! Welcome! :wave:

chucka 06-19-2011 11:29 PM

I have seen a converted Camaro locally here in Victoria dont know who did the conversion or how much but it looks great
Has anyone in the land of oz got a first generation beast and on this site??

Thunder Downunder 07-04-2011 04:39 AM

Dude, just picked mine up on Saturday. Black 2010 2SS/RS. It's awesome.

There are a couple of companies in Oz doing the conversions - Performax in QLD, MCI in VIC and another one in VIC that I can't remember the name of right now.

There is a second hand one at Autostyle.com.au here in SYD.

Have you're cheque book ready!!!

Thunder Downunder 07-06-2011 04:41 PM

The one at autostyle has just been reduced by $10K

BIGGIS 08-01-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder Downunder (Post 3420973)
Dude, just picked mine up on Saturday. Black 2010 2SS/RS. It's awesome.

There are a couple of companies in Oz doing the conversions - Performax in QLD, MCI in VIC and another one in VIC that I can't remember the name of right now.

There is a second hand one at Autostyle.com.au here in SYD.

Have you're cheque book ready!!!

I will post some pics of my 2010 2SS/RS Transformers edition shortly. It is having the ground effects package, exhaust, cold air, dyno being done at present.
Company here in Victoria that converted to RHD was Crossover Car Conversions (Also trading as Mustang Motorsport). Conversion is excellent.
Drove the car as existing LHD, cannot tell it was LHD!

Thunder Downunder 09-18-2011 09:18 PM

HAve not been watching this space of late, but congrats that's awesome. Lovin' it I'm sure!!!!

Had mine tinted at 20% last week, hopefully getting my Pedders lowering springs sometime this week and waiting on my car bra this week also (for the long trips).

Did you get GFX at the same time as the car or have you imported separately?

Looking to get CAI and a Hurst short throw soon.

Thunder Downunder 09-18-2011 09:28 PM

BTW BIGGIS, have compared my conversion (MCI) to the Performax version and I think mine's better - how's your dash texture ie: where the door trim meets the dash you can see the difference between the two.

I find mine is corser grain and shiny compared to the origanal, how's yours match?

BIGGIS 09-18-2011 10:18 PM

Hi TD,

Have seen a performax conversion, yes this is better. Texture match and therefore colour match is difficult as the existing dash is plastic, new dash is fibreglass. My dash was the first of a brand new mould. I just got the car back on Friday and they have fine tuned the existing dash sides to the new dash. They reckon they can improve further when back for the next service. Looks pretty good to me, disfficult task given the lines and shape of the dash.
I just put in a colour coded heritage grill - looks awesome.
The roto-fabcold air also looks impressive, will have to post some pics.

Cheers

Thunder Downunder 09-23-2011 10:55 PM

Yeah look forward to seeing pics.

Springs haven't arrived - another week to wait!