Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   subframe bushings/diff bushings ??'s (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319204)

cybergrayls3 09-21-2013 09:44 AM

subframe bushings/diff bushings ??'s

Hey guys i have some questions regarding subframe bushings vs bushing inserts. How are the inserts compared to just replacing the bushings? Do they work the same as polyurethane bushings? Just easier to install? I'm debating what direction to go...I was thinking polyurethane sub frame bushings/diff bushings and the hotchkis chassis brace..but if these inserts will do the same thing then I will go this route along with the hotchkis max chassis brace. Im assuming i would need the bushings regardless because originally i just wanted to install the brace and call it a day..but my last two trips to the drag strip ive experienced some terrible wheel hop and need to get this under control. So if you guys can give me some advice on which direction to go it would be much appreciated.

Supercharged SS 09-21-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 (Post 7023557)
Hey guys i have some questions regarding subframe bushings vs bushing inserts. How are the inserts compared to just replacing the bushings? Do they work the same as polyurethane bushings? Just easier to install? I'm debating what direction to go...I was thinking polyurethane sub frame bushings/diff bushings and the hotchkis chassis brace..but if these inserts will do the same thing then I will go this route along with the hotchkis max chassis brace. Im assuming i would need the bushings regardless because originally i just wanted to install the brace and call it a day..but my last two trips to the drag strip ive experienced some terrible wheel hop and need to get this under control. So if you guys can give me some advice on which direction to go it would be much appreciated.

Try some aftermarket trailing arms first. They do wonders for wheel hop.

But if you're going to do bushings, I'd only want to do it once, and would go with something solid, like the pfadt.

Synner 09-21-2013 11:10 AM

Trailing arms, not LCA. And the full cradle bushing is better than an insert, especially if you drag a lot.

Supercharged SS 09-21-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 7023684)
Trailing arms, not LCA. And the full cradle bushing is better than an insert, especially if you drag a lot.

Yeah, that's what I meant.:facepalm: My lca's are still stock.

Try the trailing arms first. Cheap and an easy install.

urr2slo 09-21-2013 12:11 PM

I have seen some of the inserts squeeze out under hard usage, I would do solid bushings. I installed all the bushings Energy Suspensions makes for the 5th gen, front to back, ride quality was still good, axle hop gone, handling greatly improved. I do more road course driving than drag racing but on occasion will drag. After about 50k my wheel hop started to return but the problem was a weak shock. Replaced them and its been all good again. I've noticed people with heavier than stock wheel/tire combo's, tend to have more wheel hop issues, I've seen a lot of '10 and early production '11's have weak rear shocks, not leaking, just getting weak with age. If youre lowered switch to the '12 vert rear shock, slightly shorter and stiffer dampening or the 1LE units.

TBone 09-21-2013 12:34 PM

I would start here.

As others have said with your HP/TQ I would go with a solid bushing, either poly or actual solid like Phadt. I would also mention that you get what you pay for.

Trailing arms will also help but diff bushings will not with wheel hop.

Of course your best cure for wheel hop is your right foot. When you start to feel it get out of the gas.

T.

cybergrayls3 09-21-2013 04:59 PM

hey guys thanks for the responses..as soon as i would get some wheel hop i would quickly get out of the gas..it was only hopping in 1st gear...but i feel like obviously getting out of the gas and feathering the throttle was hurting my 60' times. My best 60' was 1.97 and a 12.59@115 in the 1/4 mile...this is terrible! now granted im a terrible driver and i do believe the car has more potential then that but wheel hopping and spinning tires is definitely not the direction i need to be heading if i want to improve my 1/4 times..if i can get my 60 foot down to the the low 1.8 range im hoping for some 12.2's in cooler weather..maybe even some 1.7's if i can get some 17 inch drag radials on it in cooler weather with maybe a really low 12 or high 11?? not sure as i dont have much experience with the 5th gen..my 4th gen would go 11.90's in 95 degree heat @113 but that was a stalled auto...running 1.6 60' times...only making 351rwhp. On a 100 shot it would go 11.6x@119 with a 1.8 60'. Now i have my 5th gen...making more power then my 4th gen and cant get it down faster then a 12.59 @115...pretty sad. Granted this was only me second time at the track with this car so im sure theres room for improvement. Any advice besides much more practice? Im assuming the bushings and tires would make a big difference. Im launching the car at about 3800 and riding the clutch out to try and keep wheel spin/wheel hop under control..this was on bridgestone runflats also so not the best tire for racing but i get them for free so i can lay two strips down any road i want and not worry about it costing me any tire money haha..any other opinions??

SPCBA 09-22-2013 10:17 AM

Full bushings man! Subframe and cradle will help with the wheel hop as well as a good alignment. Bushings bushings bushings they really do make a difference. Go full retard you wont regret it . Inserts are for the street guys with stock power in my opinion . Full bushings replacement is for the guys who want to solve the issues with stock suspension

cybergrayls3 09-22-2013 04:52 PM

haha okay..im gonna go ahead and order the bushings and some trailing arms and go from there..thanks for the help!

JusticePete 09-23-2013 10:40 AM

All bushings are not created equal.

User / Owner Video

PEDDERS

Putnam Park Danny Popp driving the Pedderised L/28.

Any questions?

BMR Sales 09-23-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybergrayls3 (Post 7026733)
haha okay..im gonna go ahead and order the bushings and some trailing arms and go from there..thanks for the help!

Since you are mainly concerned with drag racing and will be racing the car a bit the full rear cradle bushing will definitely be a better option than the inserts. If you decide to order the trailing arms make sure you order the outer trailing arm bushings (BK006) at the same time. The outer trailing arm bushings (BK006) are cheap and will help out quite a bit with the wheel hop plus you will already be down there messing around so it would be as good as time as any to install them.

JDP Sales 09-24-2013 11:45 AM

For what you do with the car, I would definitely suggest solid or at least the full replacement bushings in the subframe. While you are in there be sure to take care of the upper control arm bushings as they are much easier to get to with the cradle down.

From there, I'd suggest a good set of trailing arms and toe rods. Pfadt and Spohn make some great pieces. Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions or for pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007