Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   5th Track Weekend in my 1LE w/CTS-V Brakes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353000)

Dropspeed 04-14-2014 09:04 PM

5th Track Weekend in my 1LE w/CTS-V Brakes

8 Attachment(s)
I ran my 5th track weekend in my 1LE this past weekend at Gingerman raceway in South Haven, MI. I am still wiped out so I will post the bullet points.
  • I ran a new PB in the 1LE of 1:44.41 That is faster than a ZL1 and GT500 Automobile Magazine test with a pro hot shoe and we are all on the same tires!
  1. Me: 1LE: 1:44.41
  2. 2012 ZL1: 1:44.53
  3. 2013 GT500: 1.45.21
It is not as fast as the 1:42.05 Mark Stielow laid down in a ZL1 during a Hot Rod Magazine test....but I will best that at a later time!

Current Performance Mods:
  • Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
  • Pedders 220032 and 220033 Sport Ryder Springs
  • Pedders Rear Camber bolts
  • CTS-V 6-piston front calipers, 2 Piece rotors. OEM Brembo/Ferodo Brake Pads, Stop-Tech 660 Brake Fluid. DIY Brake ducts.
  • 285/30/20 and 305/30/20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G2 Tires.
  • -1.6 front Camber, -0.6 rear Camber
  • Removed my strut tower brace
All of the above has been added/changed since I ran the car stock last year to the 1:47.34 bone stock last summer

Brakes: Worked as expected..I was able to brake later as expected. Wish the 1LE came stock with these!
Tires: I just wanted to fit the 305 out back to try it.
Alignment: I changed the rear alignment from -1.3 I ran last year after the spring install to the -.6 to stand them up a bit and try to get a little more rotation from the back. I was very happy with how they wore and was getting even temps across the tire.

I wore/rounded the outer edge of the left front tire. Gingerman is very hard on tires and brakes. Because I wanted even wear and didnt want to cut my weekend short I swapped front rims and ran the tires backwards part of the second day. It worked :)

Did the 305 cause the car to push more or do I need more camber (or both) ???? I am sure the 305 induces under-steer, but I had the same issues with the front tire outer edges last year....I am going to try an run -2.0 at the next event and see what happens.

Rear Diff: one of my biggest issues is the rear diff opening up on track and spinning the inside rear tire. Once the tire starts to spin the clutches in the diff cannot grab it until you lift. When having fun or a "battle" on track I didn't want to lift and have a friend tag me mid-corner so I would stay in it once it broke loose and leave a single black streak and a smoke screen so he could see I didn't have traction. Some native Americans came out of the woods as they thought I needed help.......Nope just a Torsen Helical diff sooner than later! I will get his in car video later.

Other Highlights:
  • Cold tires bad...(see video and pictures)
  • Todd Naperalski had the Total Performance Racing (TPR) #39 GTS Camaro SS there doing some testing. I went out behind him once......Yeah, mmmmm the car weighs 3425 with driver, it's on race rubber, has real areo, real suspension....I was there about a 1/4 lap before he was gone. I believe he said he has run 1:36s there.

Little spin on track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxbJ6sI7MvI

Playing on the wet track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1DV...ature=youtu.be

1LE vs 6.0L (swapped) C5 on race tires.

Video from Vette before he past me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=7qYSQpSh7Hk

Video from my car after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJOH...ature=youtu.be

I will post more videos later,
Matt

WHAMMO 04-14-2014 09:07 PM

SWEEEEET!!

Novie LE 04-15-2014 05:14 AM

That spin gave me flashbacks to the season opener. Glad nothing seemed to break. Quick question for you though, I have not played with my alignment yet, but what is the factory front camber and what are we able to push and pull our way to?

Dropspeed 04-15-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novie LE (Post 7582098)
That spin gave me flashbacks to the season opener. Glad nothing seemed to break. Quick question for you though, I have not played with my alignment yet, but what is the factory front camber and what are we able to push and pull our way to?

My May 2013 built car front camber was a -1.0 at delivery....Yours should be the same. I heard the early cars had less, but nothing to support that other than hearsay. When still stock I had mine at -1.3/-1.4 and there appeared to be more adjustment available.

-Matt

SVThis 04-15-2014 07:28 AM

It was nice to meet and talk with you Sunday. Sorry I couldn't of stuck around longer, as something unexpected came up.

Dropspeed 04-15-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVThis (Post 7582198)
It was nice to meet and talk with you Sunday. Sorry I couldn't of stuck around longer, as something unexpected came up.

You too, I was going to offer you a ride after lunch (and the car wash) but you were gone.

Your car looked great.

-Matt

Orange Crush 1LE 04-15-2014 12:42 PM

Matt, that's quite impressive especially considering the few mods you've done. Simply awesome, congrats!

I've been bitten by cold tires before as well, I found it nearly impossible to drive a Viper on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in temps below 55 degrees. KRich nearly blew chunks as my passenger when I spun at Buttonwillow during a session in the 40s, LOL.

I've yet to feel the need for a brake upgrade, it may be that I don't have enough experience to know what I'm missing or that my driving style doesn't seem to need them. Thank goodness, as I'm way beyond my mod budget already, LOL. I've taken classes at Ron Fellows, and they preach slow in fast out, so my style is easier than some on brakes. I've been avoiding threshold braking to preserve the tires and brakes and I tend to be smoother and turn faster laps that way. That said, I'll be running Hoosiers this weekend for the first time, and with my aero I may soon find my brakes' limitations. I'm running stock brakes with stainless lines, Motul 600 fluid and Hawk HP+ pads.

summit1le 04-15-2014 02:19 PM

I ran this setup at Sebring this weekend with the Hawk DTC-30 and HP Plus in the back. I swapped my Pads back to the hawk ceramics and could not believe that after one track day the pads have half of there life gone!! I am thinking I need some cooling!!! I tend to brake very late and she is a big girl!!!!

EarlyApex 04-15-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summit1le (Post 7583117)
......I tend to brake very late and she is a big girl!!!!

Now that's funny :thumb:

JDP Sales 04-15-2014 03:25 PM

Congrats on the PB! Glad your "off" wasn't too bad. Good thing you had your new JDP tow hook! :thumb:

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

SteveV 04-15-2014 05:26 PM

Hey Matt. What app is that on your phone? I might want to download that before my next track day.

Fraxum 04-15-2014 05:41 PM

Awesome, what you couldn't do with a little more power and a better diff. About that diff Amazon is having a sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Torsen-Differe...n+differential :thumb:

Also nice to see you were able to make good use of those new brakes and your tow hook. Way to represent! Pedders did have a specific rear sway bar for the 1LE. A shame they are not still around.

Mgizzle 04-15-2014 07:29 PM

Matt, thats an awesome laptime man, crazy fast. Why in the world did u take the strut bar off!?!? U thinking less stiff more grip?

Now about that tow hook.... Where do I get one and send pocs of it mounted. You got a rear one?

So Cal Camaro 04-15-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgizzle (Post 7584007)
Matt, thats an awesome laptime man, crazy fast. Why in the world did u take the strut bar off!?!? U thinking less stiff more grip?

Now about that tow hook.... Where do I get one and send pocs of it mounted. You got a rear one?

JDP Motorsports sells a tow hook, mounts to the bumper support...