Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Engine Alarm!!!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30644)

Stylish 07-03-2009 05:42 AM

Engine Alarm!!!!!

I just had an Engine Alarm ON which is located in the MPH gauge. I have called OnStar to check this problem and they made a car diagnostic. Then they told if I made any fuel refill for my car because the fuel cap is not closed well!! (I don't know what is the relation between the Engine Alarm and the fuel cap).
Anyway they told me I need to check the fuel cap and close it well then they said to drive the car for a day or so to see if the Engine Alarm turn off or not. Then they told if its still ON, I have to take it to my dealer to check the car.
I just want to mention that my Camaro is a 2SS/RS with an Auto Transmission and the mileage is 458!

I am wondering if any one have an idea or similar issue.

Scott@Bjorn3D 07-03-2009 05:47 AM

Engine Alarm is alot like the check engine light. 90% of these case are gas cap not on tight. The system creates a vacumn and if not right the computer detects it and reports the issue.

Stylish 07-03-2009 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 644940)
Engine Alarm is alot like the check engine light. 90% of these case are gas cap not on tight. The system creates a vacumn and if not right the computer detects it and reports the issue.

I didn't know that gas cap might cause this Engine Alarm Light. Thanks for the info.
But the gas cap is well closed, I checked it twice.
Do you have any idea what else it could be? :(

Verio 07-03-2009 06:24 AM

If the gas cap is closed well, and was already closed well... it's time to take it to the dealer and not let people theory craft your problem. There are quite a few VERY knowledgeable people on this board. On the flip side, there are a lot of people who give very BAD advice.

If my engine light was on, I'd be calling to have it picked up on a flat bed truck. It doesn't cost you a dime, and I'm not going to risk engine damage.

Scott@Bjorn3D 07-03-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verio (Post 644970)
If the gas cap is closed well, and was already closed well... it's time to take it to the dealer and not let people theory craft your problem. There are quite a few VERY knowledgeable people on this board. On the flip side, there are a lot of people who give very BAD advice.

If my engine light was on, I'd be calling to have it picked up on a flat bed truck. It doesn't cost you a dime, and I'm not going to risk engine damage.

Trying to figure out if you just slammed me.

radz28 07-03-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 645025)
Trying to figure out if you just slammed me.

:word: Please keep comments respectful.

CamaroScotty 07-03-2009 08:36 AM

Scott is correct.

This happens on just about all GM cars and trucks, and has been for years.

You CAN drive it.

If there is a serious issue that warrant NOT DRIVING, the engine light will FLASH and you should NOT drive your car!

duder4thgen 07-03-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 645156)
Scott is correct.

You CAN drive it.

If there is a serious issue that warrant NOT DRIVING, the engine light will FLASH and you should NOT drive your car!

:word:

To the OP-
Just to add, this isnt just GM vehicles, its across the board for all new vehicles as part of federal emission requirements.

I've personally seen these new 'easy off' gas caps do this every once in a while. Even if it looks like its on perfect sometimes they just arent right, nothings wrong with the cap or the car, just happens. If you havent already, when you have the car off, take the gas cap back off and screw it back on, just to make sure its on there good.

Also, Onstar told you it was the gas cap because your computer is throwing a trouble code specific to the gas cap.

2SSJIM 07-03-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 645156)
Scott is correct.

You CAN drive it.

+1! Happened to my GF truck! Check engine light came on and the gas cap had to be re-tightened but still had to go get the code reset!

Scott@Bjorn3D 07-03-2009 09:23 AM

Yep happened to my Honda and Autozone dude reset it for me for free.

themossman 07-03-2009 10:10 AM

On my M3 I had the light come on (service engine soon) and off intermittently and it was always blamed on the gas cap. Finally after being very insistent the dealer performed more extensive testing and found that it was a bad coil pack. (which was a known issue on the M3 and for which a tech bulletin existed)

My engine was never 'at risk' as there's was another warning indicator that would have lit if it was an 'at risk' issue. I would suggest resetting the gas cap, get 20-30 miles driving done...add some more gas/fill up...ensure gas cap is seated properly...and get another 20-30 miles done. Then, if issue still exists take it to the dealer and have them pull codes and diagnose.

Not sure if that's "bad advice", but that's what I would do based on experience.

carfansince73 07-03-2009 10:38 AM

Look at it this way, it's another reminder for those absent minded people who forget to put their gas caps back on and end up driving around with it rubbing and scratching their paint. :laugh:

Note this was NOT a slam on the OP because his just wasn't tight enough. :)

Camaro_Corvette 07-03-2009 10:51 AM

Common problem. Just didn't put it on tight enough. :thumbsup:

96rss/ls6 07-03-2009 12:14 PM

Hey here is another thing that could be causing it and I had no idea. I thought I knew about all there is to know about these new engines but one of my buddies who is a master tech said when you pump gas , once the pump cuts itself off do not keep pumping that last little bit in because it will mess up the carbon cannister and set off this same light. I had no idea. Maybee this is common knowledge, but ive built many of these engines and never heard anything like this