Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gaming Lounge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Built my new laptop! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149473)

terry_b 05-26-2011 09:54 PM

Built my new laptop!

http://images.logicbuy.com/Pages/Ima...500&height=385

http://cdn.pocket-lint.com/images/yG...0110107-125953

Alienware M17x Soft-Touch, Stealth Black
Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
MOD,DIMM,4GB,1333MHZ,DDR3,2X2G
Alienware M17x 240W A/C Adapter
17.3-inch WideFHD1920 x 1080 60Hz WLED
1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6870M
640GB Raid 0 (2x 320GB 7,200RPM)
Custom Nameplate
AlienFX Color Astral Aqua
Alienware Command Center Software, M17X
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
Wireless 802.11 g/n

DevilsReject97 05-26-2011 10:29 PM

Have you bought it yet? If so, you are going to pay way more than you should for something like that...

If you haven't, check out www.malibal.com

Much better pricing and better parts in my opinion....have several friends who have bought from them...

Kyle2k 05-26-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 (Post 3269117)
Have you bought it yet? If so, you are going to pay way more than you should for something like that...

Much better pricing and better parts in my opinion....have several friends who have bought from them...

Do you know of any companies like this for desktops?

2010 SSRS 05-26-2011 11:51 PM

very cool

GEEo 05-27-2011 12:15 AM

I was thinking between this and the MacBookPro.

The only thing that held me back from alien ware was the thickness and the funky lights. I got the MacBookPro instead. :D

LOVE IT!! didn't regret at all.

Steve Dallas 05-27-2011 12:24 AM

I wouldn't knock stuff by Alienware. You pay more, but the quality is pretty good.

Nevertheless, I'd still get my next laptop through Falcon Northwest. I've bought their desktops, and again...you pay more, but you get the best.

I replaced my old Toshiba laptop recently and got a Macbook Pro 17". Went Mac because I plan to do some iPhone and iPad programming and if I need to I can run Bootcamp to run PC stuff on it as well.

Still, I dream of getting a Falcon Northwest laptop painted IBM just like my PC I got from them :)

Hemlawk 05-27-2011 06:23 AM

beastly laptop!
But I wouldnt go with Alienware. But im sure its a good product. ;)

DoubleARS 05-27-2011 06:32 AM

People want want they want I guess. My wife has a m15x Alienware and I think it is the most ridiculous this. I tease her regularly. They thing weighs 10 lbs!!!! That is not a portable in my view. It is a bunch of gaudy plastic. Did I say ridiculous already? And all the extra bloatware they put on it cripples performance.

Brokinarrow 05-27-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 (Post 3269117)

Dude!! Thanks for posting that link, will definitely be looking there for a new laptop... sad that their Satori model blows my desktop out of the water :laugh:

Rogue Leader 05-27-2011 05:56 PM

I have an Alienware desktop, normally I build myself but at the time there was a rebate and it came out to what it would cost to build on my own.

That said its 6 years old.. time for a new one and being that Alienware is Intel only (and I prefer AMD) and the deals aren't what they were at the time I'll be building myself an AMD 6 core machine very soon!

Hemlawk 05-27-2011 08:55 PM

Nice Rogue Leader. Check out Scott Bjorn's website, it's very informative on hardware.

DevilsReject97 05-27-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 3269326)
Do you know of any companies like this for desktops?

http://www.falcon-nw.com/

Falcon Northwest is one of the best in the business, and unlike Alienware, they are actually worth the money...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Dallas (Post 3269450)
I wouldn't knock stuff by Alienware. You pay more, but the quality is pretty good.

Nevertheless, I'd still get my next laptop through Falcon Northwest. I've bought their desktops, and again...you pay more, but you get the best.

I replaced my old Toshiba laptop recently and got a Macbook Pro 17". Went Mac because I plan to do some iPhone and iPad programming and if I need to I can run Bootcamp to run PC stuff on it as well.

Still, I dream of getting a Falcon Northwest laptop painted IBM just like my PC I got from them :)

I don't knock Alienware, but their stuff is ridiculously overpriced. I've worked with Dell for many years, and I wouldn't buy an Alienware rig with your money. I could build two gaming PC's with similar or better performance compared to the price of one of their rigs...

I absolutely concur on the Falcon Northwest bit....good stuff...

I wouldn't buy a Mac as they simply don't support 90% of the gaming community. If you're playing Facebook, World of Warcraft, and a few Steam games, you are alright.....but most of them don't support Mac....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokinarrow (Post 3270112)
Dude!! Thanks for posting that link, will definitely be looking there for a new laptop... sad that their Satori model blows my desktop out of the water :laugh:

They make good stuff, and you can get it a lot cheaper than you'd expect compared to say a Toshiba/Dell/Sony. These are gaming level laptops, not email checkers. If I wanted a laptop, I'd buy from them.

2ndgenz28 05-27-2011 11:00 PM

Alienware use to be worth till they got to big and then it was just about profits.

like any good tech company, sooner or later they sell out.

Hemlawk 05-28-2011 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 (Post 3273004)
Alienware use to be worth till they got to big and then it was just about profits.

like any good tech company, sooner or later they sell out.

Well, once AW was bought out by DELL, it went down the tubes. They are still decent PC's but overpriced.