Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   House Struck by Lightning (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90966)

SirPhobos1 06-22-2010 09:10 AM

House Struck by Lightning

At 1AM this morning our house was struck by lightning. Everyone was in bed, of course, but as soon as the bolt hit, it sounded like a bomb had gone off. All the smoke alarms started going off. Half of our stuff got fried, despite being on surge protectors.

Looked outside this morning, took a direct hit to the furnace exhaust cap.
The furnace & AC are dead, the garage door opener is dead, one of our refrigerators are dead, and the list goes on. I checked the house for any possible signs of smoke/fire, and we spent the night at my parents' house.

Poor camaro had to spend the night in the rain. It was bad enough i had to manually open the garage door to get her out of there!

Da Hose 06-22-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPhobos1 (Post 2012835)
At 1AM this morning our house was struck by lightning. Everyone was in bed, of course, but as soon as the bolt hit, it sounded like a bomb had gone off. All the smoke alarms started going off. Half of our stuff got fried, despite being on surge protectors.

The furnace & AC are dead, the garage door opener is dead, one of our refrigerators are dead, and the list goes on. I checked the house for any possible signs of smoke/fire, and we spent the night at my parents' house.

Poor camaro had to spend the night in the rain. It was bad enough i had to manually open the garage door to get her out of there!

But house is still there and didn't burn to the ground!!!! be thankful!

guiLT 06-22-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Hose (Post 2012845)

And be thankful if didnt fry your Camaro!

SirPhobos1 06-22-2010 09:18 AM

Oh I am extremely thankful. i'm just trying to make light of the whole incident. The moment it hit, was the weirdest noise and feeling i've ever experienced... Awaiting contractor & insurance assessment.

Fightinfire921 06-22-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Hose (Post 2012845)

Dail 911 next time and have the fire department check the house. Attic fires are common with lightning strikes.

"prima"Donna 06-22-2010 11:47 AM

So sorry for you...the same thing happened to my house during a thunderstorm last year...:yikes:

I was home alone on the computer when all of a sudden I heard a "LOUD" explosion like a bomb hit...:yikes:

I felt 'electrified', and everything in my house shut down...:(

Then, I smelled a 'rubber burning' smell...I was terrified...:yikes:

I went outside and tried to look at my house to see if it was on fire...it wasn't, but I could smell that 'rubber burning' smell outside my house too...

Fortunately for us, most of our appliances are on surge protectors, so we didn't lose any, but it was the scariest experience...:yikes:

I have been terrified of thunder and lightning ever since I was a child, and I still hate them now...:yikes:

Good luck to you, and thank God you and your family AND Camaro are all ok...:thumbsup:

brandotron 06-22-2010 11:57 AM

WOW! Hope you get it all sorted out.

WadeWilson 06-22-2010 11:59 AM

I'm glad you and your family are OK.

BlownSS 06-22-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z (Post 2012860)
Dail 911 next time and have the fire department check the house. Attic fires are common with lightning strikes.

yes!!!! we can come over and look with out thermal imaging camera into your attic and walls and look for a small smoldering fire that is just gonna grow later!

Brokinarrow 06-22-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlownSS (Post 2013521)
yes!!!! we can come over and look with out thermal imaging camera into your attic and walls and look for a small smoldering fire that is just gonna grow later!

mmmm thermal imaging :drool: Wish i had that for paintball games :D

Leolee 06-22-2010 08:33 PM

sorry about that man! last year in august the day i signed the contract to my newly built house i was celebrating with the fam and BAM my house got hit.... brand new garage system burnt... washer, dryer,.... alarm... i mean thats good i didnt have any electronics in the house since it was empty so i feel your pain... idk if thats bad luck for the day i first officialy have my house it gets hit... had to get the siding the wall fixed too..

Leolee 06-22-2010 08:35 PM

oh i also smelled smoke so i called the f.d. and they went in the attic and everything was fine

CaniacFan 06-22-2010 08:42 PM

Glad to hear everyone inside was ok. It happened to us as well a couple years ago. Lost 1/2 the electronics in the house - even though most had surge protectors on and functioning. Scared the be-jesus out of me at the time - the loud crack, the alarms, everything going off at once, smoke.. Thank goodness for homeowner's insurance (and only a $250 deductible).

Oh, glad the Camaro wasn't injured either, a little fresh air is good for it..

formare 06-22-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPhobos1 (Post 2012835)

OUCH - sorry to hear that kind of bad luck.