Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Anyone using this break-in method? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30632)

piam101 07-03-2009 01:11 AM

Anyone using this break-in method?

I found this link a few weeks back while browsing the forums. Thought it was pretty interesting. Was wondering what you all thought about his method?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

DarricSS 07-23-2009 06:34 AM

That's the break-in procedure i choose to do and changed the oil at 250mi. Been taking it easy on the car since then for the drivetrain and brakes though. Will change the oil again at 1500mi then it's off to the track for a baseline 1/4 and have the parts i have stacked in the garage installed.:thumbsup:

A buddy of mine is doing the easy break-in, so it will be interesting to see what worked better when we go to the track in Sept/Oct here in Arizona.:)

This is the same procedure i used on a couple motorcycles i have owned.

My 2003 Kawasaki zx12r Ninja with 177 rwhp ran a 9.98 @ 143 and i got kicked off the track at Firebird raceway for running under 10sec without an NHRA license. :facepalm:

Jozef 07-23-2009 12:42 PM

Very interesting. I like the idea- even though it seemed like the Camaro had no power for the first few hundred miles- probably the ECU retarding what would actually be put out.

I don't necessarily agree that this would work for a vehicle either. Pistons in either a V6 or V8 are substantially larger and heaver. The engines are water cooled instead of air cooled, and they run much lower RPM's. Further, the life expectancy of a motorcycle engine is far less than that of an automobile.

I took it easy for a few hundred miles, and now at 800 am slowly starting to open her up.

Who knows.

Laforce 07-26-2009 08:42 PM

Can any one confirm or bust this for us and the Camaro specifically? It is an interesting consept though, sealing the rings better through hard use and all but will it apply to us?

SoloSK71 07-26-2009 09:05 PM

Yes, it will apply. The camaro will be the 4th vehicle, third sports car I have used this on.

- SK

ALLT4 07-26-2009 09:23 PM

I bought a ZZ383 for my other ride, the one in my avy, tossed it in, performed massive burn out right out of the box, beat it hard to try and break it. Seems to run better every time I drive it now.

I might go a TAD easier on the Camaro if I ever get it but I'm not going to baby it from day one. As soon as it's up to temp, let 'er rip!

Do what you feel comfortable with, myself I feel comfortable with the article posted and agree with the logic. The only things in these motors that need "Broken in" are the rings as stated. They're going to get used to peak pressure as soon and often as possible within reason.

SoloSK71 07-26-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALLT4 (Post 725596)
Do what you feel comfortable with, myself I feel comfortable with the article posted and agree with the logic. The only things in these motors that need "Broken in" are the rings as stated. They're going to get used to peak pressure as soon and often as possible within reason.

Actually there are a couple of other engine things that you may want to consider as well. For the larger metal parts, the heads and block you want to get the car up to operating temperature and hold it there for 2.5 to 3 hours to check for any early failure, mainly from the casting process. Highway driving after your piston (what we all call engine break in) and brake and belt break in runs is a good way to do this. Add in tire break in (pre-warming I think is the term) if you are running certain race/street tires.

None of these are mandatory, they are just something us perfectionist nutters like to do. I keeps us from bugging the rest of you anyway. ;)

- SK