Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Magnetic Ride Control - Marketing Hype or Real Performance Advantage? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177885)

calbert1999 10-21-2011 02:57 PM

Magnetic Ride Control - Marketing Hype or Real Performance Advantage?

I've been doing research to understand the big deal around the latest information with the Camaro ZL1 having Magnetic Ride Control.

I'm not an engineer but my understanding is that the shocks have some kind of special fluid and electronic sensors that allow the vehicles computer to adjust camber to provide a stiffer or less stiff feel based on road conditions.

So, the question is; Considering, this technology has been around for several years in other vehicles since 2002, is it just Marketing Hype because it's going to be in the ZL1 or is it really a true Peformance Advantage? Aren't there more recent and better shock technologies on the market?

For example; Does this avoid the need for any aftermarket coilovers, bushings, control arm upgrades, trailing arms / links or sway bars or will you still require additional suspension upgrades if you want better suspension performance?

Apex Motorsports 10-21-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbert1999 (Post 3912405)
I've been doing research to understand the big deal around the latest information with the Camaro ZL1 having Magnetic Ride Control.

I'm not an engineer but my understanding is that the shocks have some kind of special fluid and electronic sensors that allow the vehicles computer to adjust camber to provide a stiffer or less stiff feel based on road conditions.

So, the question is; Considering, this technology has been around for several years in other vehicles since 2002, is it just Marketing Hype because it's going to be in the ZL1 or is it really a true Peformance Advantage? Aren't there more recent and better shock technologies on the market?

For example; Does this avoid the need for any aftermarket coilovers, bushings, control arm upgrades, trailing arms / links or sway bars or will you still require additional suspension upgrades if you want better suspension performance?

Magnetic Ride Control is an absolutely outstanding factory set up. I like the way this commercial puts it.

That being said, it is not the end all suspension set up. There is plenty of room for improvement if you want/need it. The team at Pfadt is going to be a great resource for the ZL1 community once it hits the street, they have been making Corvettes with Magnetic Ride Control faster for some time now.

hypurone 10-21-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

First off it does not modify the camber/caster or change it in any way. It uses the metallic particles suspended in the shock fluid to effectively change the viscosity and vary the damping rates. This can be done in milliseconds and to infinitely varying degrees. Depending on how well implemented and controlled it can effectively eliminate body roll.

As with anything, you cannot please all of the masses all of the time. Being that is doesn't modify sway bar rates or any other suspension component other than the behavior of the strut (which can still fail/leak) there will always be some "upgrading" going on depending on your needs/wants...

JusticePete 10-22-2011 09:35 AM

The Chevrolet integration of MR into traction control and stability control is nothing short of racket science. It is a very very very good system. Combine that with revised rear bar diameter and location along with revised sub-frame bushes ala the revised bush from the Vert and you have a ZL1 suspension that ran an awesome time at the ring.

Chevrolet is also restricted in some key dimensions. Is there any doubt that the ZL1 would have been faster on the ring if it were significantly lowered? Thanks to assembly line minimum heights and Federal crash test standards it won't roll out of GM as low as we would like to see it. It shouldn't as most buyers would prefer to be able to pull over a curb stone without any damage or navigate speed bumps straight on as well as steeper ramps and driveways. That is why we exist :D

For the most demanding ZL1 owner the aftermarket is where they will hone a sharp knife into a scalpel. The freeze frame is from the Ring video. There are a thousand reasons why this comparison may be inaccurate, but I picked a similar turn, with a similar speed and a similar camera angle. I placed the ZL1 over the Pedders Camaro to get the image scale next to identical. I belive it to be a fair comparative photo. Feel free to disagree.

http://forums.peddersusa.com/imageho...f21e2c4430.jpg

Once again, I am a HUGE fan of the ZL1 and MR system. Chevrolet has designed and built an absolutely amazing machine. MOST ZL1 buyers will be faster behind the wheel with the MR and on-board driver coaching aids. There are a select few skilled drivers that I think will prefer a full Supercar system. That is the luxury of being an aftermarket company. Those few drivers support our business model.

For an even more select few Pedders is proud to have partnered with Lingenfelter Performance Engineering to build our version of the 'Ultimate Camaro' the L/28

http://forums.peddersusa.com/imageho...8b13f5ea84.jpg

Lingenfelter L/28 Camaro

We wanted this to be a full amenity daily driver with a bad attitude on a road course. We think we have it covered from the normally aspirated N/A LS7 to the Pedders Supercars and everything in between.

Lingenfelter L/28 Camaro

• LPE LS7 Engine, 681HP @ 6700 RPM / 588 LB/FT @5600
• LPE Dry Sump Oiling System
• Tremec 6060 6 Speed Manual Transmission
• LPE Dual Disc Clutch and Flywheel
• LPE Clutch Return Spring Kit
• MTI Short Throw Shifter
• LPE Leather Shift Knob
• LPE 9.5” Differential, 373 Ratio with no preload TracRite® GT – Helical Gear Limited Slip
• Driveshaft Shop HD 1400HP Axle Shafts
• LPE HD 2 Piece Driveshaft
• LPE Twin Fuel Pump Module with Electronic Control
• LPE Power Steering Cooler
• Be Cool Radiator
• American Racing Headers
• Custom Side Exit Exhaust with Magnaflow Mufflers
• LPE / Pedders SportsRyder Supercar Coil-over Suspension System, Sway Bars, Complete Bushing Package
• Brembo Brake System. Front 15” 2 Piece Rotor with 6 Piston Caliper, Rear 14” 2 Piece Rotor with 4 Piston caliper
• Forgeline Wheels, 20”X10.5”
• Michelin Tires, 305/35ZR20
• Lingenfelter Signature Body Kit, including front splitter, side skirts, rear diffuser, and rear spoiler
• Specter Werkes Extractor Hood
• Lingenfelter L/28 Graphics
• RPM Six Point Roll Bar
• Corbeau TRS Leather Seats and 5 Point Belts
• Lingenfelter CNC Pedal Pads

How good is the L/28. We'll all know very soon.

Optima Announces Second Half of The Ultimate Street Car Invitational Competitors

http://stblogs.hotrod.com/files/2011...2.24.57-PM.jpg

Optima’s Ultimate Street Car Invitational pits all types of Pro-Touring cars, trucks, and hot rods against each other in autocross, road rally, braking, and hot lap competitions. This is the event’s fourth consecutive running and as usual, it will take place in Pahrump, Nevada at the Spring Mountain Motor Ranch following the SEMA show. This year’s event will be held on November 4th and 5th. The cars entered thus far have earned their spots through various autocross events across the country, but there’s still one spot that has yet to be filled. A team of judges will select one addition entrant from the vehicles on display at this year’s SEMA show at the Las Vegas Convention Center. The latest class of entrants are:

· Jason Childress, ‘69 Ford Mustang

· Mike Copeland, ‘11 L/28

· Matt Farah, ‘98 C5 Chevy Corvette

· Rob Ferreti, ‘01 Chevy Corvette

· Mitch Greenblatt, ‘08 Mercedes CLK63

· Andrew Herold, ‘72 Chevy Camaro

· Scott Hoag, ‘11 Ford Mustang

· Randy Johnson, ‘69 AMX

· Albert Melchior, ’70 Pontiac Formula

· Allan Miller, ‘10 Chevy Camaro

· Carlos Monterrubio, ‘73 Nissan 240Z

· Terry Neuville, ‘68 Chevy Camaro

· Joe Shown, ’90 Corvette ZR1

· Marty Sokulski, ‘68 Dodge Charger

· Filip Trojanek, ‘66 Ford Mustang

· Curt Ukasic, ‘62 Nova Runt

· Mark Wetterau, ‘69 Chevy Camaro

Read more: http://blogs.hotrod.com/optima-annou...#ixzz1anWFu48z

You can see it and 20 something other Pedderised vehicles at SEMA. Be sure to visit the GM, LPE and West Coast Customs booths ;)

JusticePete 10-22-2011 09:42 AM

Short direct answers.

Quote:

The damping changes but no alignment adjustments are made.

Quote:

MR is state-of-the-art. Better is relative. For all driving conditions at all times it is tough to beat the latest greatest MR integration for GM.

Quote:

We feel the ZL1 will still be modified from top to bottom. No matter how good customers always want more.

mtbikerinme83 10-23-2011 07:22 PM

To me the big thing about MR is that you can have a nice daily driver comfortable ride one minute, and with the push a button, have a corner carving, high G pulling, awsome handling suspension the next. It allows you to have the comforable ride for the street and a race car ride (some would describe as stiff or harsh) for the track. Try driving daily down a rough, frost heaved, pot holed, cracked road in a track car with suspension tuned for racing, your back will be begging for mercy! Not so with MR unless you have it in performance mode.

JusticePete 10-23-2011 07:30 PM

I don't think you'll find the ride in 'performance mode'. The OE ride height combined with the wheel and tire package will deliver a civil ride in all the ZL1 MR configurations. It will also deliver more car and performance than any factory built Camaro ever made.

As for comfort in a fully Pedderised track ready Camaro I'll let the owners speak for themselves.

BullF-16 10-23-2011 07:44 PM

So how close will i be to the ZL1 in perfromance when i add the Pedders Justice full kit?

calbert1999 10-23-2011 07:46 PM

@Justicpete; Thanks for responding you've confrmed what I was thinking all along.

My current setup is nice and stiff, and still road worthy for a daily driver, and once I sort out the noisy end-links issues (with the new service pack I just received), I'll be back on track again.

I prefer driving my SS without all the fancy electronic traction controls which allows me to guage how the vehicle perform without intervention and my own driving skills.

My honest opinion is I believe MR is a great option on a vehicle, but there are other areas that will most likely require improvements too.

My next list of upgrades will be bushings, control arms and eventually coilovers. But, I'll do that after I get a few thousand kms. when the new LSX-427 get's installed.

Can't wait for someone to get their hands on the ZL1 to give feedback.

ipimpthisc 10-23-2011 07:57 PM

I love the idea of the new camaro...but for a guy like me who always wants more...too pay for that and then scrap it just improve is not the best thing to do. I know I will want to have a pfadt or pedders set up...and the stock electronics will probably have to scrapped

calbert1999 10-23-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullF-16 (Post 3919516)
So how close will i be to the ZL1 in perfromance when i add the Pedders Justice full kit?

From what I've read, I believe aftermarket will always perform better than what's stock. I don't think you'd put a stock Camaro SS or ZL1 into a professional race.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipimpthisc (Post 3919585)
I love the idea of the new camaro...but for a guy like me who always wants more...too pay for that and then scrap it just improve is not the best thing to do. I know I will want to have a pfadt or pedders set up...and the stock electronics will probably have to scrapped

Yeah. I agree. Wish we didn't have to make all the mods, and the automaker just did it the best way to begin with. I would prefer it that way, however, it may be that a lot of people wouldn't purchase the vehicle if priced out of their range. I'd hope they would met us half way though considering if you really want an Camaro to perform at ultimate levels you have to rip everything out and replace it. starting with the bushings.
Thing is the mojority of sports car owners purchase them for nostalgic reasons, bragging rights, et al. Most just use them to drive to work and pick up groceries. Because of this, the vehicle isn't built to perform at peok levels. And, the real drivers pay the price.
I've done just a handfull of suspension mods to mine and I tell you it's night and day stock vs mods, I can't wait until I do the rest, and as a daily driver my back doesn't hurt one bit. I can't say the same about my pocket though. LOL
These, vehicles are awesome with the right amount of power, and suspension mods to stick to the road.

JusticePete 10-23-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullF-16 (Post 3919516)

May I rephrase that to how close will the ZL1 be to a fully Pedderised Camaro?

:D :chevy: :D

BullF-16 10-23-2011 09:25 PM

So would the Justice kit be considered fully Pedderised.....if so, i found my next series of mods

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 3919908)

Info@PeddersUSA.com 10-23-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 3919908)

Pete, i'll take one of each please. lol

Yes, the Justice Kit would be considered a fully Pedderized Camaro