Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Fix a Flat dried all over my freinds Camaro...... help....... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106886)

PQ 09-20-2010 09:32 PM

Fix a Flat dried all over my freinds Camaro...... help.......

4 Attachment(s)
Ok. A freind of mine had a flat tire/blowout, and tried the GM fix-a-flat on the side of the road at 2 am Labor Day weekend. The Fix-a -flat shot out because the setting was on the wrong dial, and his buddy ended up spraying it on the car.

He ended up having to leave the car for a few weeks and the fix-a-flat dried on the car.

Soooooooooo, he tried mineral spirits, and goof off. What was left after he spent a few hours on it was these pics.

Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachment 165892

Attachment 165893

Attachment 165894

Attachment 165895

Iomcamaro 09-20-2010 09:37 PM

I would try spraying some goo gone or bug and tar remover on there and letting it sit for a while in a shaded area. If this didn't work I would try using a clay bar, and if that didn't work I would resort to trying a low aggressive polish.

CynAgain 09-20-2010 09:38 PM

oh NO! :yikes:

:popcorn:

PQ 09-20-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iomcamaro (Post 2351565)
I would try spraying some goo gone or bug and tar remover on there and letting it sit for a while in a shaded area. If this didn't work I would try using a clay bar, and if that didn't work I would resort to trying a low aggressive polish.

Hmnmmmm, he tried the goof off, which has the same effective ingredients as goo gone.

Clay bar didn't work either. He tried it in one section.

Maybe some rubbing compound?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynAgain (Post 2351570)
oh NO! :yikes:

:popcorn:

Yup. He's very upset about it.

Iomcamaro 09-20-2010 10:12 PM

I wouldn't use pure rubbing compound unless he plans to polish the car to repair the damage that it will do to the finish. I would use a less aggressive polish like meguiar's ultimate compound or Adam's polishes

SSOOCH 09-20-2010 10:14 PM

"a friend of mine" :bellyroll:

Sterling 09-20-2010 10:14 PM

Do you still have any of that stuff you scratched your car up with right before the Fest?
Wait... was that your friend too?

PQ 09-20-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iomcamaro (Post 2351768)
I wouldn't use pure rubbing compound unless he plans to polish the car to repair the damage that it will do to the finish. I would use a less aggressive polish like meguiar's ultimate compound or Adam's polishes

He does have the Adams system. AND the orbital polisher. Just isn't sure that it will remove these spots. These spots are like cement.

Anything stronger than mineral spirits and goof off he can use.

Huggerorange73 09-20-2010 10:17 PM

Try some rubbing compound by hand on a small spot....odds are it'll work.

As long as it's not too aggressive, or not done with a buffer, you'll be able to throw some wax/polish on right after and it'll look as good as new. The only worry you may have is that stuff may have etched the clear....in that case you'll need to water sand and buff the car out.

Iomcamaro 09-20-2010 10:19 PM

I would try Meguiar's ultimate compound before I went straight to the rubbing compound

motorhead 09-20-2010 10:20 PM

That car is cursed. Trade it before it kills you.

Sterling 09-20-2010 10:20 PM

Are you sure your friend sprayed fix a flat?
This looks more like a hot wife incident that he is trying to cover up... we may have to question Bonnie about this...

Huggerorange73 09-20-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iomcamaro (Post 2351804)
I would try Meguiar's ultimate compound before I went straight to the rubbing compound

Over the counter compound sold at Autozone is very mild...I'm not talking aggressive pro stuff here.

But like I said....if the clear is etched, he's going to have to get either more aggressive compound or wet sand & a buff.

3M sells another product called finess it....worth a shot as well.

Milk 1027 09-20-2010 10:23 PM

:rolleyes: