Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   AFM is really holding me back.. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47364)

JonJuice 10-14-2009 01:11 PM

AFM is really holding me back..

from buying an automatic. I don't even know how to drive manual, but i'd rather try and learn then to have AFM. I don't know any tuners in my area. What would you guys suggest?:iono:

Susantroy1 10-14-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJuice (Post 1044113)
from buying an automatic. I don't even know how to drive manual, but i'd rather try and learn then to have AFM. I don't know any tuners in my area. What would you guys suggest?:iono:

Not to be an arss, but If you want an Automatic but not the AFM find a tuner....

IMHO:cool:

POWERFREAK 10-14-2009 01:14 PM

where do you live?

there are also plenty of mail-order tuning options. IMO, w/ an L99/A6 a tune is a MUST.

out of curiosity, what is it about the AFM that you hate so much? If it were my car, I'd have it tuned so it only came on in highway/cruising situations.

JonJuice 10-14-2009 01:18 PM

well i heard that it changes from v8 to v4! lol i dont want to hear that sound. :( like i want it when i want it. yah know ?and i live in south florida.

POWERFREAK 10-14-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJuice (Post 1044140)
well i heard that it changes from v8 to v4! lol i dont want to hear that sound. :( like i want it when i want it. yah know ?and i live in south florida.

are you far from Tampa? (sorry, I don't know my florida geography)...there's a tuner here in Tampa. If not, I'd go with a mail-order tune...you can still have it tuned the way you want it.

Susantroy1 10-14-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POWERFREAK (Post 1044233)
are you far from Tampa? (sorry, I don't know my florida geography)...there's a tuner on the here in Tampa. If not, I'd go with a mail-order tune...you can still have it tuned the way you want it.

PowerFreak, Mind letting me in on that tuner from Tampa? I'll look him up:cool:

POWERFREAK 10-14-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susantroy1 (Post 1044243)
PowerFreak, Mind letting me in on that tuner from Tampa? I'll look him up:cool:

here you go...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=fasterproms

gjordon 10-14-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJuice (Post 1044113)

Unless you make some changes in the exhaust, you'll never know when the AFM is kicking in. I never knew it was even there until I replaced the factory mufflers. I wouldn't let that hold you back if you're more comfortable with an auto. I was comfortable with either, they just happened to have an auto on the lot.. no waiting! :thumbup:

O2BQIK 10-14-2009 01:55 PM

I'm with gjordon, I suspect you won't even notice it. I'd drive a vehicle with AFM (I know the Tahoes have it and I'm sure lots of others do too) and see if it's really even an issue for you. If so, then you could get it tuned.

Of course, if it were me, I'd just get the manual :)

JonJuice 10-14-2009 02:01 PM

is manual really worth it over auto? i havent learned yet.

Susantroy1 10-14-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POWERFREAK (Post 1044254)

Ud the man:cool: Thanks

Kris@BMCPerformance 10-14-2009 02:07 PM

Jon, if you really want an auto and no AFM, it is removed simply through a tuner like the Diablo Predator. We are located in south Florida and can get you all squared away when you are ready

gjordon 10-14-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJuice (Post 1044340)
is manual really worth it over auto? i havent learned yet.

To me it's just a personal choice, much like with anything else. I would have been perfectly happy either way. You may want to consider what type of driving you'll be doing.. Learning a manual isn't difficult, but if you'll be in stop and go traffic alot you may want to go the auto route, but that is just my opinion.

The best part about it, it's a Camaro! you can't go wrong!

TJ91 10-14-2009 03:21 PM

Yeah stick can be really annoying in traffic jams, i think in your case, i would go with the auto, and if the afm really actually bothers you, just une it out. Going to learn a manual isnt hard, but clutch dammage is pretty easy as well. i hate traffic jams in my baby. But stick is not hard, especially in this Camaro, it is very easy to drive, unbelievebly easy to drive