Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Camaro Still winning - Mustang sales not enough to sustain Flat Rock plant (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153145)

FINALLYSATISFIED 06-16-2011 08:25 PM

Once Ford regains or attempts to with the No.1 position, you'll see the Z-28 resurface just to keep GM #1. GM isn't going to release all the big guns at first, patience is virtue.

I personally think GM has what it takes to atleast make the Camaro #1 for atleast 5 years consectively...

mikeSS 06-16-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 (Post 3349043)
Once Ford regains or attempts to with the No.1 position, you'll see the Z-28 resurface just to keep GM #1. GM isn't going to release all the big guns at first, patience is virtue.

I personally think GM has what it takes to atleast make the Camaro #1 for atleast 5 years consectively...

honestly put add side the sale numbers, ford has the new 5.0L which is great, and the new Boss. i think ford is on top. and z06s and zr1 do not count in this. because they cost a lot more.

Black5thgen 06-16-2011 09:05 PM

I hope ford gets everything straightened out with the plant. I would hate to see American workers lose their jobs and see another US factory close. My car preference is important to me but so is my national pride and for that I hope everything works out in flat rock.

That being said, where are all the stang humpers that said the mustang would be on top once the 5.0 comes out and people were just waiting in 2010 and that's why the Camaro won the sales title?? It's kind of weird being on this side of the fence. The mustang is the enthusiasts choice and the Camaro is the better car. It's like an opposite of the the late 90's except the cars are much more evenly matched in performance.

Lazerbrainz2k3 06-16-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edz10ss (Post 3348511)
This is such awesome news. Just imagine if chevy actually starts playing Camaro commercials on TV, Mustangs will be done. All I saw every two seconds while I watch Fox ch. 5 is that mustang commercial. I never see a Camaro commercial. I don't like to see someone out of a job though. Everything about the Camaro is better, from looks, handle, speed, and its a CHEVY!

Frankly, wishing for/celebrating the percieved death of a competitor is pretty ignorant. This isn't bin Laden, or the Soviet Union, or Nazi Germany, or something even the least bit truly important. As someone who works in the aerospace industry where the stakes are quite a bit higher than the automotive industry, I don't hope for the end of my competitors - the company I work for wins some, we lose some, but it's the losses which keep us trying hard so that we CAN win as many sales and contracts as we can. Otherwise we just have monopoly which is bad for everyone, or have you forgotten how long Ford was able to punt the ball on the Mustang V6's 210hp engine, well into the time when minivans were making over 300hp? That's what the Camaro would become after half a decade or more of having no competitors - if it survived at all.

Whether or not this news did mean the "Mustang is done," which it doesn't, hoping that it did is pretty much a "fanboy" thing to say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black5thgen (Post 3349196)
That being said, where are all the stang humpers that said the mustang would be on top once the 5.0 comes out and people were just waiting in 2010 and that's why the Camaro won the sales title?? It's kind of weird being on this side of the fence. The mustang is the enthusiasts choice and the Camaro is the better car. It's like an opposite of the the late 90's except the cars are much more evenly matched in performance.

On the Mustang forums, probably, and how many Camaro defenders are there? Probably as few as there are Mustang defenders on Camaro5.

And the Mustang IS the better car in terms of straight-line performance and handling (styling and looks are subjective things, as is brand loyalty). The Camaro is still riding a wave of popularity from its concept debut and Transformers, which just goes to show that hp specs and quarter mile times aren't everything in deciding what car is "best" - not that most of us here would have admitted that a year or two ago when the Camaro was (nearly) undisputed king in ALL categories, before Dodge and Ford re-engined their competitors.

5THGENRS 06-16-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolman (Post 3348771)
We better hope that the mustang doesn't go away. Competition breeds good cars. When the competition goes away so does the quality of the cars left and pretty soon they go too. Our cars will suffer if the mustang goes. Not to mention all the people that will be out of work.

:word:

A few key points:
Like what was said above, if one is gone then what does the other have to base anything that they do off of? Hum we need another model to compete with the gt500 so low and behold the ZL1. A lot of the decisions that are done are based of what the other has done, in the form of what they have done wrong and where the other can make it better, or their not doing this so we will.

I agree with one of the first comment made, bitter sweet is the best way to describe it, but no joke, the mustang needs a new revision bad. It needs a complete new restyle, its got to the point where they all look the same, and throw the solid rear axle away!

Also the comments were made that mustang wont go away and their the only ones that have had uninterrupted production, well maybe thats what has made the challenger, and especially the camaro what they are today! Maybe it took the phasing out to make the camaro bigger and better, and quite possibly its better now then what it ever could had been if it was never phased out and stayed in production. :iono: Just a thought???

BlackenedSS 06-16-2011 09:54 PM

Ford has done this to them selves. The Mustang has gotten too dull. I've never cared for the look but damn they just don't do anything special at all. The F150 Will be next if they don't change something soon.

Come on Ford mix it up a little :chevy:

68RS 06-16-2011 10:02 PM

This is a somewhat cyclical industry. We know that Ford will come out with their redesign in 2014, and when they do, Camaro will be on it's fourth model year with the same design. It is very likely that Ford will once again take a strong lead. I love my Camaro, it is an awesome car. But so is the Mustang. The competition makes them both (and the Challenger) better cars.

They need to get their factory production capabilities worked out, maybe with another Ford model. It wouldn't make sense for Ford to shut down Mustang production. 73K cars is still significant. If they can keep their cost down and make it to 2014, they will be back in the game stronger than ever.

Fraxum 06-16-2011 10:03 PM

I think we should all buy one of each. If my financial advisor would let me that is exactly what I would do. I want to add a Boss to my stable. While I am at it, I also like a car with a GPS and a sunroof. I would pick up a Challenger SRT8 too. Let's keep everybody working!

Black5thgen 06-16-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 (Post 3349218)
On the Mustang forums, probably, and how many Camaro defenders are there? Probably as few as there are Mustang defenders on Camaro5.

I disagree with you. I would bet there are much more mustang humpers here than Camaro humpers on all the mustang sites combined.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 (Post 3349218)
And the Mustang IS the better car in terms of straight-line performance and handling (styling and looks are subjective things, as is brand loyalty). The Camaro is still riding a wave of popularity from its concept debut and Transformers, which just goes to show that hp specs and quarter mile times aren't everything in deciding what car is "best" - not that most of us here would have admitted that a year or two ago when the Camaro was (nearly) undisputed king in ALL categories, before Dodge and Ford re-engined their competitors.

You can't tell me that the hype hasn't died down in over 2 years. That argument holds no water any more. The mass public cars more about looks, quality and image than straight-line performance and handling. That is why the Camaro is out selling the mustang now and the mustang outsold the Camaro in the LS1 days. The mustang is a better performing car, not a better overall car.

PoorMansCamaro 06-16-2011 10:12 PM

I don't know, looks like the mustang did just fine while the camaro was on a 7-8 year hiatus.:iono:

AZCamaroFan 06-16-2011 10:23 PM

yeah i hate to see any jobs jeopardized, but...after the Camaro being gone several years and the mustang declard the ponycar victor...i don't have any sympathy for mustang fans or ford.

2SS BUMBLBE 06-16-2011 11:52 PM

The Ford dealership in town has already sold its allotment of 2012 Bosses and Shelbys. I test drove a 5.0 today. It was a dealer trade because our dealer cannot keep enough. BTW, it sounds like I wish my SS sounded stock. It was pretty quick, handled well, no issues shifting like I have heard about the Camaro, and was an interesting color (lava red). All in all, I thought it was a pretty nice vehicle; I hope they do not die.

kennynobodyrs 06-17-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngeloVEnforcer (Post 3348140)
This Camaro is obviously taken the nation by a storm. Coupled with the Transformers marketing, it is the premier sports car in America at the moment. In actuality, I think the Camaro's 8 year layoff actually helped because its return brought such an uproar of enthusiasts anticipating its return that it launched with a bang. The Mustang has always been around, yes it has been updated, but the Camaro of 2010 revolutionized the sports car.

Everybody sees Mustangs out there, but I still have people staring at my car, and even taking pictures of it. Nobody does that with a Mustang. Why? Because they see the Camaro as "that car in that cool Transformers movie." And that's a good thing. It's got such an aura that whenever I tell people I have a Camaro, they automatically have a connection with it. The Mustang is ingrained into our culture so it will always be there, but the Camaro has taken a leap in its status as not just Chevy's pony car, but America's pony car.

very well put

Wvallediego 06-17-2011 12:32 AM

All this talk about feeling sorry and not wanting to see people loss their jobs really does not matter,,,,,,don't worry. Those people who stop working for ford because is downsizing will start working for Chev because they'll start reving up production.

Hope that does not happen, because WE NEED THE MUSTANG!!!!!!.....WE NEED SOMETHING TO BEAT!!!! THE MUSTANG plays that role!

Schmidty 06-17-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanWiki (Post 3348006)
As much as I'd love to say "Suck it Mustang" -- I honestly can't.. Putting the smack down on a rival car is one thing, but I'm not going to cheer on the possibility of American workers being put in to unemployment just to brag on my own platform's success...

I'd rather they stay open and share the spot light with Mustang, than have even a single worker laid off..

+1

AngeloVEnforcer 06-17-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black5thgen (Post 3349499)
I disagree with you. I would bet there are much more mustang humpers here than Camaro humpers on all the mustang sites combined.

You can't tell me that the hype hasn't died down in over 2 years. That argument holds no water any more. The mass public cars more about looks, quality and image than straight-line performance and handling. That is why the Camaro is out selling the mustang now and the mustang outsold the Camaro in the LS1 days. The mustang is a better performing car, not a better overall car.

The Camaro hype may die down, but, like myself, I had to wait until January 2011 to get my car. I could've gotten something else, but I didn't. When you've got a hot car, you've got 5 years at least to make some serious money off it. Then you go to a re-design, will most likely make those buyers trade in their 3-4 year old Camaros for the new body style. That's what happens in the car business (being a former car salesmen), you get a buyer to love the car they're driving, and they tend to stick with it. I've sold numerous trucks/cars/suvs to the same buyers. They literally bought the same car (maybe different color/options) several times.

CamaroBelarus 06-17-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeSS (Post 3348817)
guess the professional drivers who have tested this many times are wrong and you right. who would have known

Yeah, such as http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests maybe? Or http://www.insideline.com/ford/musta...camaro-ss.html ? Maybe tons of them on youtube proving cars are identical? Even roadandtrack got 1/4 in ss.

Cmon loser, just admit u dont dont have a babe and driving mustang, so il just ingore u, like other trolls out there.

doc7000 06-17-2011 01:45 AM

I think more important then which car is faster is the fact that most of the times the cars are not driven in a way where it makes a difference.

I think we put too much into car rag test when it comes to sells, I bet most people can't tell you the difference between the Mustang and Camaro in any performance area.

In this market what is selling these cars is not bragging rights, instead its style and the Camaro just has more of it. Though you can't go wrong with either car.

CamaroBelarus 06-17-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc7000 (Post 3350077)
I think more important then which car is faster is the fact that most of the times the cars are not driven in a way where it makes a difference.

I think we put too much into car rag test when it comes to sells, I bet most people can't tell you the difference between the Mustang and Camaro in any performance area.

In this market what is selling these cars is not bragging rights, instead its style and the Camaro just has more of it. Though you can't go wrong with either car.

Exactly what im saying. But there is always 1-2 "....", who will say "BUY IT! MUSTANG IS FASTER" and u just have to put his face in the facts that they are identical. Trolls are a disease.

Agent orange 06-17-2011 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpmurr (Post 3348179)
The Mustang is not going anywhere guys. If anything you'll see a new Lincoln Mark after the 2014 redesign to fill the high end market and some of that plants volume.

As for the axle talk just drop it already. It's been proven time after time stock for stock the Mustang handles better than the mediocre setup in the Camaro. I hope the Camaro and Challenger stick around to keep Ford honest and I would hope you all feel the same so GM keeps pushing the Camaro further.

If it wasn't for the success of the 05+ Mustang you all wouldn't even be driving a Camaro.

i agree. if you look at it mustang improved their engine. its more quiker and handles better. is just that the mustang looks small for being a muscle car.

snakekiller 06-17-2011 03:49 AM

the camaro is not the reason why the plant may close.
the reason is the now dead joint venture to build the mazda 6 there, its only logical to see why the mustang has lost sales to the camaro. the car is 7 years old and competing quite well with a relatively new camaro.

Alaskan_SS 06-17-2011 05:14 AM

From the time I could talk I loved the Mustang, and that continues today. I can already tell some people are scratching their heads.....lol. But seriously, I have always loved the Mustang. My first car was a 1965 coupe that at the time I got it had the inline six. My dad (A Huge chevy fan) and I spent a lot of time together and strengthened our bond by putting a 289, full suspension, transmission...etc!!! There is an aura about the Mustang. As I grew up I loved the battle between the Camaro and Mustang. I even have a 1965 coupe now that is in the middle of a restoration.

Here is how I feel about the news with the Ford plant. In 1993 when Chevy restyled the Camaro and Firebird they hit a home run. They were fast, beautiful, and at the time had the best pony car interior. It reignited the ponycar war. The Mustang continued to outsell the Camaro regardless of the performance gap. Why???? Mainly because the Mustang was cheaper. Then when the F-body was canceled, Ford let the Mustang brand become stagnant (except for the 03-04 Cobra). They didn't have to compete with anyone. The interior remained bland, and chassis was terrible.

Now there is competition, and when Ford announced the redesign for the 2010 model, they also released info on the new 5.0 due for 2011. If you search the internet, you will also find articles with reference to Ford execs laying out the plans for the Mustang. First, style update (2010), then new powertrain (5.0), then they will do a complete redesign (2014) that will incorporate the independent rear suspension (and possible ecoboost option). And that the new chief of global opperations said all Ford cars (not trucks) will be required to share a global platform....including the Mustang. An example is turning the Explorer into a cross over, sharing it's platform with the Taurus (Mondeo in Europe). I think the story was in Motor Trend, but can't remember. Ford spent a ton of money developing the 5.0, but shared the expense with the F-150. But now they are spending the money on a complete redesign including chassis updates...including the much debated IRS.

The Mustang is still strong and will continue to be. I hope the workers keep their jobs. Like everyone said, you need more than one car to continue the war.....

I love the pony wars....and I love my Camaro....best car I've ever had. I know Chevy will continue to update the Camaro, and keep this thing interesting at least for a while.

Addition.....I am not defending the Mustang. My Camaro has as my friends put it "Pulled me to the dark side". I guess all the years of my dad's constant Ford bashing, and chevy praising has finally kicked it. But I did finally get a "That's my Boy" from him....haha

CamaroSS426 06-17-2011 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakekiller (Post 3350183)
the camaro is not the reason why the plant may close.
the reason is the now dead joint venture to build the mazda 6 there, its only logical to see why the mustang has lost sales to the camaro. the car is 7 years old and competing quite well with a relatively new camaro.

:word:

Just hoping no jobs are lost!

Lazerbrainz2k3 06-17-2011 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black5thgen (Post 3349499)

No doubt they do care about that, I believe that was a big part of my point in the first place. Doesn't mean that they're not subject to being influenced more by that "image" (ie marketing, hype, etc.) part over comparative quality and looks - Ford has plenty of the former across their product line, and the latter is totally subjective; I for one think the latest refresh looks pretty awesome. Say what you want about anti-GM conspiracies within the automotive press, but when you objectively look at the reasons why most of them call the Mustang the better all-around car, many of them are pretty good ones - the Mustang has a lot going for it.

In my opinion, since there's such parity in terms of quality and "bang for your buck" value, and since looks are a matter of personal tastes, the Camaro's success is due more to those hype and image factors than the rest. That, its 8-year hiatus, and the persistent perception of every third driver having a Mustang anyway, make the Camaro the clear winner. What will be really interesting to see is what happens when both are refreshed in a couple years.

siriusdish 06-17-2011 07:37 AM

hee hee