Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - California (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   San Diego area fish tacos??? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9447)

ShnOmac 11-08-2008 10:56 AM

San Diego area fish tacos???

Yeah i know its a odd post but Im craving fish tacos.... Any recommendations on where to get some good ones?

Any recommendations on good wings?

The_Blur 11-08-2008 10:58 AM

Are you talking about fish tacos or fish tacos? :laugh:

ShnOmac 11-08-2008 11:01 AM

:sm0:

actually the food..........

PsyDoc 11-08-2008 11:08 AM

I always liked...

I always liked Wahoo's Fish Tacos. They are a franchise, but they make some damn good ones. I haven't been back in San Diego in a long time, but I still remember them.

bouncertime 11-08-2008 11:15 AM

Fish tacos, Wahoo's is good and Rubio's is always good. As for wings, good luck. My wife and I lived in Phoenix for 3 years and there are a couple places there that has awesome wings. We used to like Wings and Things, but they now suck. If you find a good place for wings please let me know. I know there are a couple other good places for fish tacos, I will do some research and let you know.

TheClassicCarKid 11-08-2008 11:17 AM

Find a Wahoo's if you can. If not there's always Del Taco/Taco Bell...

bouncertime 11-08-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid (Post 185251)
Find a Wahoo's if you can. If not there's always Del Taco/Taco Bell...

I would chance one of the local Taco Shops or Taco Trucks before I go to Del Taco or Taco Bell. I don't know where you are at in San Diego, but if you want some of the best Mexican food in the city you have to go to El Indio at 3695 India St. You also can't go wrong with heading down to Old Town.

Sizzox 11-08-2008 11:48 AM

wow i have never even heard of a fish taco. I need to get me one of them

ShnOmac 11-08-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sizzox (Post 185269)
wow i have never even heard of a fish taco. I need to get me one of them

Never heard of a fish taco.... HOLY CRAP! Once you have a good fish taco you will be so freckin addicted its crazy!

bouncertime 11-08-2008 12:05 PM

No kidding, the best fish tacos I have ever ate was in Cabo San Lucas right on the beach.

The_Blur 11-08-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shnomac77 (Post 185281)
Never heard of a fish taco.... HOLY CRAP! Once you have a good fish taco you will be so freckin addicted its crazy!

Those of us in the Midwest have poor access to really good seafood at a reasonable cost. That's why we don't have any fish tacos.

Sizzox 11-08-2008 12:18 PM

What is it just like a normal taco but with fish instead of beef?

bouncertime 11-08-2008 12:28 PM

Sorta, the best ones are some type of beer battered white fish wrapped in a corn tortilla with a type of white sauce, cabbage, fresh lime juice and fresh salsa on top.

http://d0.biggestmenu.com/00/00/31/2...b823f79a_m.jpg

Edit: I just looked up the white sauce and it is equal amounts of mayo and plain yogurt.

bouncertime 11-08-2008 02:39 PM

Rubio's Fish Tacos

12 fillets of cod, pollack or a favorite white fish, about 1 1/2 oz each

Beer Batter:
1 cup flour
Garlic powder or ground red pepper or ground black pepper
1 cup beer

White Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain yoghurt

Salsa:
1 clove garlic, peeled & minced
6 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded & diced
1/2 onion, minced
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped, stems removed
2 jalapeno chilies, seeded & chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 head green cabbage, shredded

4 limes, cut into wedges

Oil for deep frying

12 white corn tortillas

Mix salsa ingredients and set aside. Mix white sauce ingredients and set aside.

Mix flour with favorite spices such as garlic powder, red or black ground pepper. Stir the flour mixture into the beer and mix until well blended.

Wash fish by dipping in cold, lightly salted water or water with a little bit of lemon juice added. Be sure fish is completely dry before dipping it into batter.

Put vegetable oil into deep skillet and bring to 375 degrees. Place fish in a single layer -- do not let pieces touch each other. Cook fish until batter is crispy and golden brown.

Heat corn tortillas lightly in a skillet or Mexican comal until they are soft and hot.

To assemble: On each tortilla, layer the following ingredients; fish fillet, white sauce, salsa and cabbage. Top it off with a squeeze of lime. Fold tortilla over to serve. Yields 6 servings.