Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Removing resonator on catback (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306320)

Qui3tStorm 07-07-2013 10:18 PM

Removing resonator on catback

I have the Solo Performance Mach XL system, overall it is not loud enough and I'm running LTs. My thoughts are to remove the resonator with some straights in place. Has anyone done something similar to their aftermarket exhausts? All of my buddies cars are louder, not obnoxious either, nice tones.

LS3 SS 07-07-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui3tStorm (Post 6761553)
I have the Solo Performance Mach XL system, overall it is not loud enough and I'm running LTs. My thoughts are to remove the resonator with some straights in place. Has anyone done something similar to their aftermarket exhausts? All of my buddies cars are louder, not obnoxious either, nice tones.

I did it, worst mistake I ever made regarding my exhaust. It gives the exhaust a hollow raspy sound that is horrid. Now I'm scrapping my entire setup for a SW Retro Chambered.

Qui3tStorm 07-07-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS3 SS (Post 6761559)
I did it, worst mistake I ever made regarding my exhaust. It gives the exhaust a hollow raspy sound that is horrid. Now I'm scrapping my entire setup for a SW Retro Chambered.

What exhaust did you have that you moddifed? I was thinking of going to SW route to match the LTs, but don't really way fork over another G when I have a ample exhaust now.

LS3 SS 07-07-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui3tStorm (Post 6761584)
What exhaust did you have that you moddifed? I was thinking of going to SW route to match the LTs, but don't really way fork over another G when I have a ample exhaust now.

I have/had a Solo Mach X catback. Just like you, it wasn't loud enough. Added Hi flow cats, wasn't loud enough. Added LT's..still wasn't loud enough. I added Electric cutouts, and those were loud, but the exhaust itself wasn't. So I cut the resonators out, and now when my cutouts are closed, the exhaust sounds like crap.

Qui3tStorm 07-07-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS3 SS (Post 6761630)
I have/had a Solo Mach X catback. Just like you, it wasn't loud enough. Added Hi flow cats, wasn't loud enough. Added LT's..still wasn't loud enough. I added Electric cutouts, and those were loud, but the exhaust itself wasn't. So I cut the resonators out, and now when my cutouts are closed, the exhaust sounds like crap.

Damn! Yea even my buddies with catbacks (no LTs) sound more aggressive than my car. SLP, SW ...

LS3 SS 07-07-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui3tStorm (Post 6761676)
Damn! Yea even my buddies with catbacks (no LTs) sound more aggressive than my car. SLP, SW ...

I know what you mean. I have to bite the bullet and scrap my entire setup (sell the cutouts too) and go back to a traditional catback (SW 3'' Retro) just to be happy. It sucks to know I invested that much into my exhaust, but you live and you learn. I also came to the realization that Solo catbacks just aren't "loud". They have a nice low rumble, but they are only loud when you are WOT. Good luck brother in whatever you decide.