Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Edmunds long term testing of 2010 Camaro SS: Also great for the whole family (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75260)

Tran 04-04-2010 03:29 PM

Edmunds long term testing of 2010 Camaro SS: Also great for the whole family

The fellas at Edmunds Inside Line continue their long term testing of a 2010 Camaro SS and their latest update validates the 2010 Camaro as a car that not only serves as a fun and powerful pony car for daddy (or mommy), but also a capable family car when pressed to serve such duty. Following reprinted from Edmunds Inside Line

Quote:

On Saturday I packed the wife and kids into our long-term 2010 Chevy Camaro SS and drove it out to Auto Club Speedway in Fontana to take in the AMA motorcycle races.

It sucked. Badly.

Not the Camaro. The 150 mile round trip in the Camaro was great. The races sucked. 4,000 mph winds delayed the track activities and made spectating quite uncomfortable. We drove over an hour to get there. Sat in the wind for an hour. Watched 15 minutes of practice. Decided it wasn't worth it and got back in the car.

So instead of a fun day at the track I had a fun day behind the wheel of our SS. Before heading home we continued east on I-10 to Redlands, California to one of our favorite Mexican restaurants, Oscar's in downtown Redlands. Don't miss it.

Then we hit the inlaws in San Bernardino. We headed for home late when the traffic was light and I can take advantage of the Camaro's motor and stability.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...mb-717x477.jpg

In total it was a 200+ mile day in our silver muscle car and I really enjoyed it. My kids did too. No complaints from the backseat, even when daddy did a big ol' burnout infront of grandma's house.

Did we all wish the Camaro was a little easier to see out of? Yes, but it rides well, cruises like a sedan on the highway and the front seats are very comfortable.

The more I live with it the more I appreciate the way Chevy has packaged and tuned the Camaro. It does many things very well.

I also appreciate Tivo. The next evening I watched the motorcycle races from Fontana. No wind.

Scott Oldham, Inside Line Editor in Chief

thedonkeyslayer 04-04-2010 03:51 PM

Nice

Revo1 04-04-2010 04:35 PM

Right on, sounds like fun. Camaro really is a good, comfortable long distance ride...

prostock69 04-04-2010 04:52 PM

We have two vehicles: a 2006 Dodge Durango which hubby drives to and from work and our 2010 SS/RS Camaro which is my every day car (on nice days..lol). We've driven it when we go to my parent's house a couple of times which is 2.5 hours away. Would it be better for our two daughters (8 & 7) to be in the Durango with the built in DVD player and leg room? Yes. But, they like the Camaro better because of it's loud exhaust and when Daddy puts his foot in it, they squeal and laugh. All he hears is "Do it again Daddy, do it again"..lol. They can't see out the windows but they don't care. They play their Nintendo DS's or watch a movie on our portable DVD player we pack along. So in the end, we all get to have fun on a otherwise, long and boring trip. :)

caper 04-04-2010 04:58 PM

HA i was goin to head over the races too (first time in 10yrs i didnt) but knew the wind was an issue. too bad maybe i might have run into the writer!

jrkilburn 04-04-2010 05:33 PM

My boys are healthy sized and at 15 and 14 I would have to cut their legs off to fit them in the back seat. I am not super tall at 5'9" and my wife is 5'4", with the two of us comfortable in the front seats there is all of 4" from my seatback to the front of the rear seat.

I certainly did not buy the Camaro to be a family hauler nor will it. I reasonably doubt anyone will ever sit on the nice leather in the back of the car.

Mr. Wyndham 04-04-2010 05:41 PM

When I went on a test drive in this car...the first thing I did before we started it up was tool around the car a bit. Press buttons, move seats, look in the trunk, etc.

And what I wanted to see was just how 'practical' the back seats are. So I sat in front of the wheel, and adjusted everything until I was in a comfortable, but safe position to drive. Then, I folded the seat down, and got in the back. I figure -- if I can't live back there for 1/2 an hour, I can't expect any passengers of mine to do so....

I found myself reasonably comfortable. My hair (not head) was brushing up against the roof liner a bit, and my knees were rubbing against the back of the front seat -- but I wasn't squished or in some contorted position to fit. And after spending a few hours in the back of a civic coupe a few weekends ago...I MUCH prefer the Camaros rear seats.

I'm 5'11", 175lbs, and the Camaro I did this in had a sunroof. ;)

This little 'test' of mine helped me decide that I want to buy this car as a daily-driver.
I'm glad to read this out of Edmunds. :clap:

Angrybird 12 04-04-2010 05:49 PM

Good review, We just got back from a 500 mile round trip to Georgia over the weekend. The 3 of us were plenty comfortable, averaged 29 MPG over the 500 Miles, and didn't hear our back seat passenger whine one time, She had plenty of leg room......(our 2year old Chihuahua)...

boozeitup 04-04-2010 08:30 PM

Love the SS

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostock69 (Post 1676125)
We have two vehicles: a 2006 Dodge Durango which hubby drives to and from work and our 2010 SS/RS Camaro which is my every day car (on nice days..lol). We've driven it when we go to my parent's house a couple of times which is 2.5 hours away. Would it be better for our two daughters (8 & 7) to be in the Durango with the built in DVD player and leg room? Yes. But, they like the Camaro better because of it's loud exhaust and when Daddy puts his foot in it, they squeal and laugh. All he hears is "Do it again Daddy, do it again"..lol. They can't see out the windows but they don't care. They play their Nintendo DS's or watch a movie on our portable DVD player we pack along. So in the end, we all get to have fun on a otherwise, long and boring trip. :)

Went from Stewartstown PA to Albany NY with my 8 and 7 year old in the back playing their DS's and all I can say is WOW this car is incredible. The kids enjoyed it more than our Jeep.:)

nova 04-04-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Did we all wish the Camaro was a little easier to see out of? Yes, but it rides well, cruises like a sedan on the highway and the front seats are very comfortable.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, that right there is the reason they'll sell a boatload of 'em to people who would have never taken a second look at them in years past.

I drove a '94 for years. Rode like a pickup truck with broken springs too. A car nobody but an enthusiast could love.

This car is on a whole different planet and has won over everybody I've put in it...

Gunsite 04-04-2010 10:30 PM

Camaro visibility

Reading the comments on this thread, some people, including several who don't own a Camaro, commented on the low roof line and visibility. I ordered my Camaro in June and before I received it in October I actually had dreams about the low roof line and lack of visibility. It really concerned me. Then I took delivery of my car and haven't had a worry since then. As every Camaro owner knows, once you drive the car this stops being a problem very quickly. It's a great car and nitpicking doesn't diminish it.:happyanim:

JHart 04-04-2010 10:56 PM

nice. i've drove this car on the interstate, and it rides truely like a dream, with excellent passing power in 6th gear, i usually never have to downshift unless it's one of them buttholes who speed up when you go to go around them. and i actually love the "chop top" feeling in the car, as my altima is very seeable and you can see alot, it's a good change. i'm 6'3 and my buddies say that they can't see me at all in the car, i like the sneaky factor :) i would be seen, but i got a 5% tint strip across my front windshield making the glass appear even smaller from out of the car. i absolutely love this car

Angrybird 12 04-05-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunsite (Post 1677277)
Reading the comments on this thread, some people, including several who don't own a Camaro, commented on the low roof line and visibility. I ordered my Camaro in June and before I received it in October I actually had dreams about the low roof line and lack of visibility. It really concerned me. Then I took delivery of my car and haven't had a worry since then. As every Camaro owner knows, once you drive the car this stops being a problem very quickly. It's a great car and nitpicking doesn't diminish it.:happyanim:

It's funny about all the comments about visibility in the Camaro. I remember back when there were so many Complaints before the car came out because GM Raised the Roofline on the Production Camaro from the concept.. Just think, If they had gotten their way we would have even LESS visibility!!!

convert 04-05-2010 11:32 AM

I love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything so don't take this as nitpicking, but not everybody is built the same way so I want to put this out there.

I'm a touch under 6' and my hair makes solid contact with the roof. I think I've got 3 things working against me:
1) A lot of my height is in my torso, so I sit taller than other 6 footers.
2) I have the sunroof which apparently decreases clearance inside (not sure how much...)
3) I have the power driver's seat, which is a little bit taller than the non-power passenger seat even when adjusted all the way down.

So what do I do? I found the seat position that works best and then slouch in my seat a little. Problem solved.

My wife likes the heated seats.

My kids like the fact that the car is like their own personal roller coaster. They squeal with delight when I get in the gas even a little bit. They're tall 7 and 9 year olds and fit back there just fine as long as we scoot the front seats forward a bit.

For me and the other adults that have tried to sit back there, the back seat is too cramped for more than a trip around the block. The roofline is just too low to accomodate sitting up straight (most wind up leaning across the back seat).

So if you're considering buying one of these cars, be realistic in your expectations, it's a 2+2, not a 4 seater, and your mileage may vary when it comes to head/leg room.