Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   C&D: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible Review - Short Take Road Test (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126321)

Brianskeet 01-28-2011 12:05 AM

I'm a hard top guy, but the vert looks sharp. C&D still won't give the Camaro a fair shake, but it is there if you look close. Better torsional stiffness than beemer. Top is high quality. Now if they would just get off the blind spot thing.

SZOTSTA24 01-28-2011 12:45 AM

Looks really good. :thumbup:

drummer5679 01-28-2011 01:09 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't care all that much for the convertible? the coupe looks way better in my opinion for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. Although I do admit I enjoy long trips with my ttops off.

Namrepus28 01-28-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummer5679 (Post 2776943)
Am I the only one that doesn't care all that much for the convertible? the coupe looks way better in my opinion for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. Although I do admit I enjoy long trips with my ttops off.

No, you're not the only one. I don't like them either, but keep in mind the convertible threads are going to be mosly filled with convertible fans.

I wanted to read the C&D review, but when every up date on the home page was "convertible this", "convertible that" for about a month, I didn't even bother clicking the links.

Regardless of my personal feelings, it looks like GM did a very nice job and will make a lot of people very very happy. Also, if sales continue to rise (and beat the tar out of the competition) then it can only be a good thing for the future of the Camaro. :D

Blown355 01-28-2011 07:45 AM

"C&D still won't give the Camaro a fair shake, but it is there if you look close. Better torsional stiffness than beemer. Top is high quality. Now if they would just get off the blind spot thing."

That's the same thing I was thinking while reading this. They start out saying, dropping the top fixes the problem. Then they keep bringing it back up. It's like they feel guilty for saying something nice about the car, so they feel compelled to immediately slam it.

Namrepus28 01-28-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blown355 (Post 2777347)
"C&D still won't give the Camaro a fair shake, but it is there if you look close. Better torsional stiffness than beemer. Top is high quality. Now if they would just get off the blind spot thing."

That's the same thing I was thinking while reading this. They start out saying, dropping the top fixes the problem. Then they keep bringing it back up. It's like they feel guilty for saying something nice about the car, so they feel compelled to immediately slam it.

That's C&D in a nutshell. Unless it's a BMW review, don't expect it to be 100% positive.

CUPRA 01-28-2011 08:28 AM

I'm going to have to check one out as soon as Eric Hall gets one at Classic Chevrolet!

It'll be nice to see one close up. I love how it looks with the top down, top up, not so much. Would have looked soooo much better in a hard top. But you can't please everyone!

Still glad I have my 2SS/RS - not sure if I'd have waited that I could justify $5700 more to get the top off. That's an expensive lap dance!

ensign_lee 01-28-2011 08:53 AM

Gosh, that is SO sexy. The aesthetics department at GM really did a great job with a car that look strong and fast, yet retains the attractive curves that make it a camaro...and make it look slightly more feminine (since all cars are girls, remember ;) )

Lazerbrainz2k3 01-28-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrepus28 (Post 2777385)
That's C&D in a nutshell. Unless it's a BMW review, don't expect it to be 100% positive.

Nothing is 100% positive. Even when the first coupe reviews came out and everyone was gushing over it, the weight, blind spot, visibility and other complaints were still there.

I think the review was pretty fair. The negatives they pointed out were all objectively true - yes, it is harder to see out of than the run-of-the-mill teardrop-mobile; yes, there is a performance penalty due to extra weight; yes, it does use up more trunk space (although I never understood why golf bags were the gold standard). But they also give it a coupe nods for the suspension (as well as a favorable comparison to the Main Enemy, Ford), they like the lines it has with the top up. In spite of the BMW love affair, they didn't even contradict Chevy where the Camaro was compared to the 3-series. About the only stand-out negative opinion I saw was calling the steering "lifeless," but compared to some it may be - then again I don't spend my days on a slalom course so it doesn't matter much. About the only target of any real negativity was "Jersey Shore," and of course that's totally deserved. ;)

jroc7 01-28-2011 09:11 AM

Certainly, a more resonable review than the twits at M-T, but one striking similarity - their opinion of how good the car looks with the soft top up. Really? Its not that taught and was he being sarcastic when he said it was a reasonable facsimile of the coupe? The author lost credibility with me there. As for the inevitable loss of performance and practicality with any convertible, the idea of adding almost 250 lbs to an already overweight car is painful to think about. If I want the wind in my hair, I'll jog. If I want the best Camaro possible, I'll stick with the hard top. I can hear the engine just fine with the windows down.

REAPER SS 01-28-2011 09:16 AM

I have never been a convertible fan but the Camaro vert does look pretty nice compared to the other convertibles.Good job GM:thumbsup:

jmaryt 01-28-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 (Post 2777559)
Nothing is 100% positive. Even when the first coupe reviews came out and everyone was gushing over it, the weight, blind spot, visibility and other complaints were still there.

I think the review was pretty fair. The negatives they pointed out were all objectively true - yes, it is harder to see out of than the run-of-the-mill teardrop-mobile; yes, there is a performance penalty due to extra weight; yes, it does use up more trunk space (although I never understood why golf bags were the gold standard). But they also give it a coupe nods for the suspension (as well as a favorable comparison to the Main Enemy, Ford), they like the lines it has with the top up. In spite of the BMW love affair, they didn't even contradict Chevy where the Camaro was compared to the 3-series. About the only stand-out negative opinion I saw was calling the steering "lifeless," but compared to some it may be - then again I don't spend my days on a slalom course so it doesn't matter much. About the only target of any real negativity was "Jersey Shore," and of course that's totally deserved. ;)

"jersey shore" reference makes good copy,however,c&d must believe only "air heads" read their reviews if they insist upon mentioning the show!..just sayin!

Nutbutt 01-29-2011 10:02 AM

Yeah baby, I just can't wait for the vert to arrive and the snow to leave ! :thumbup: