Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Headers/Exhaust dilemma - need help (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417725)

mrshanes 07-28-2015 10:30 AM

Headers/Exhaust dilemma - need help

I'm looking for some info and advice on headers and exhaust. I've already decided I'm going to go with Stainless Works headers. I'm not sure what to do (if anything) about the exhaust. I've read a lot of posts that say the car sounds great with headers and the stock cat-back exhaust. However, most of those posts are early (2011-2012) before there were a lot of cat-back systems available for ZL1. Now there are several systems available and there are more posts about people replacing their exhaust. My thought is I'd like to just do headers for now and see if I like the sound. SW has a connection option for that - factory connection. Now, what if I decide I want to add their retro cat-back exhaust later? Would I need to switch my headers to their performance connection to make it all fit, or could I do the exhaust with a factory connection to mate up with the factory connection on the headers? I don't want to pigeon hole myself with the headers first. Also, if I go factory to factory on the connection (if this is possible), will that hurt performance (I think the factory connections are smaller)?
Thanks

rjs2010SS 07-28-2015 01:13 PM

I did 2" headers and no cats to factory exhaust. I will not waste my money on aftermarket exhaust put that $1000 plus towards other upgrades... it sounds amazing and it is LOUD! I actually put my fuse back in it was so loud(good loud, just did it not to attract cops when I just cruising) and waiting for my mild to wild to come in.

JohnnyC 07-28-2015 01:31 PM

I did kooks 1 7/8 long tubes with cats and it sounds great with factory exhaust. Also is really loud when you get I to it.

Detroit Muscle 07-28-2015 02:56 PM

do headers/high flow cats with an axle back exhaust, its cheaper and sounds great. On mine I have SW Headers/cats, factory resonator, SLP Loudmouth exhaust. Sounds aweosome.

Sales@Phastek 07-28-2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshanes (Post 8556421)
I'm looking for some info and advice on headers and exhaust. I've already decided I'm going to go with Stainless Works headers. I'm not sure what to do (if anything) about the exhaust. I've read a lot of posts that say the car sounds great with headers and the stock cat-back exhaust. However, most of those posts are early (2011-2012) before there were a lot of cat-back systems available for ZL1. Now there are several systems available and there are more posts about people replacing their exhaust. My thought is I'd like to just do headers for now and see if I like the sound. SW has a connection option for that - factory connection. Now, what if I decide I want to add their retro cat-back exhaust later? Would I need to switch my headers to their performance connection to make it all fit, or could I do the exhaust with a factory connection to mate up with the factory connection on the headers? I don't want to pigeon hole myself with the headers first. Also, if I go factory to factory on the connection (if this is possible), will that hurt performance (I think the factory connections are smaller)?
Thanks

mrshanes,

As the other members above stated, I would do the headers first and see how you like it that way. The sound you get out of just the headers and the dual mode exhaust is great on a ZL1. I actually prefer just headers with the dual mode exhaust.

As for the connection question. The SW exhaust usually necks down to the factory connection. The factory clamp is used with most exhaust systems to make the sealing connection between the header and exhaust.

Thank you,
Ricardo

Bigtime53 07-28-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sales@Phastek (Post 8557091)
mrshanes,

As the other members above stated, I would do the headers first and see how you like it that way. The sound you get out of just the headers and the dual mode exhaust is great on a ZL1. I actually prefer just headers with the dual mode exhaust.

As for the connection question. The SW exhaust usually necks down to the factory connection. The factory clamp is used with most exhaust systems to make the sealing connection between the header and exhaust.

Thank you,
Ricardo

There is your answer. This sounds great and this is exactly what I would do.

2013 ZL1 #7860 07-28-2015 04:33 PM

Can't comment on sound yet but I just swapped my entire exhaust system. 2" headers and full 3" exhaust with cats and 3" connections. The stock exhaust sounds great but the 3" looks like it flows a lot better and is much better quality.

Stephen12ZL1 07-28-2015 04:33 PM

Stainless works headers fit great...two sets installed and a big thumbs up!

ZL W0N 07-28-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjs2010SS (Post 8556796)
I did 2" headers and no cats to factory exhaust. I will not waste my money on aftermarket exhaust put that $1000 plus towards other upgrades... it sounds amazing and it is LOUD! I actually put my fuse back in it was so loud(good loud, just did it not to attract cops when I just cruising) and waiting for my mild to wild to come in.

+1

I've heard a few aftermarket catback exhaust systems (Corsa, Billy Boat, Borla) and all of them were just as loud, if not quieter, as the stock catback. I'm getting ready to put on Kooks LT and catless connectors to the factory exhaust. I have my headers in the shop right now being ceramic coated. Save yourself at least $1500 and do the headers first.

mrshanes 07-28-2015 06:27 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like headers and stock exhaust might be the way to go.

gbu27 08-02-2015 11:51 AM

Sorry to hijack, but his question is along the line of what I'm also wondering but I also have wanted to know if long tubes require modifications to the plastic body pan under the motor? I think I want full SW exhaust as long as I don't have to cut into that.

ZO6 Bryan 08-02-2015 01:56 PM

You have to cut it.

mrshanes 08-02-2015 04:03 PM

Mine is a 2014 year model and it doesn't need cut. I believe from 2014 on there is ample room for headers and the pan doesn't need to be cut.

2013 ZL1 #7860 08-02-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshanes (Post 8565325)
Mine is a 2014 year model and it doesn't need cut. I believe from 2014 on there is ample room for headers and the pan doesn't need to be cut.

Correct. Thank the Z/28 for that.

If you don't want to cut a 12-13 pan then take it off completely or buy a 14-15 pan.