Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Nelson Twin Turbo LS3 Engines for Camaro (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14976)

speedster 03-07-2009 12:37 PM

Nelson Twin Turbo LS3 Engines for Camaro

For anyone that is interested - Nelson Racing Engines just posted what I feel is a great deal for a complete drop-in Twin Turbo LS3 engine. It would definitely make the new Camaro scream. After seeing all the post of power adders I figured to post this for anyone looking for a big step up in power. I love power adders, but am always afraid of the bottom end coming unglued. This is a completely new engine build with the best parts.

I am not affiliated with Tom Nelson, but have one of his engines in my Firebird and I can't say enough about the quality and support I received. His stuff is absolutely top notch. So, if you a want some insane streetable power for your new Camaro you might want to take a look.
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=19531

His phone number is 818-998-5593, but be forewarned you will probably have to call a bunch of times before he gets back to you. I used to always try to call and he was never in his office, always out in their shop or on the dyno...

zebra 03-07-2009 01:02 PM

:drool:

1320junkie 03-07-2009 01:11 PM

nice

CamaroSpike23 03-07-2009 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
cool, tho I wonder why they chose to mount the wastegates past a 90* angle from the downpipe. maybe its just for room clearance and whatnot, but I would change that before putting it into my car. dunno, but ive always tried to keep it set up like this.

CamaroSpike23 03-07-2009 02:06 PM

another thing I just noticed, they are using a dual blade throttle body. im suprised they didnt go with a monoblade. in fact, the one they are using looks like a 58mm LT1 throttle body. maybe im just nitpicking, but I woulda gone with something like this instead. http://www.evoperform.com/shop/images/GT5002.jpg

zebra 03-07-2009 02:24 PM

maybe spike should go teach mr nelson a thing or two! :laugh:

CamaroSpike23 03-07-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra (Post 325954)
maybe spike should go teach mr nelson a thing or two! :laugh:

JMO on the matter. cus if im going to spend 20k on a TT motor, there would be some changes to it.

speedster 03-07-2009 04:43 PM

Spike -

Those are good observations and great ideas. I do know that the wastegates are done that way for clearance. When I had Tom do a motor for me before, I brought up some "new" ideas and he incorporated many of them in the build. He gave me good feedback on the ones that weren't such a hot idea.

If you don't mind, I would like to bring the throttle body one up.

Looks like you've been down this path before. :)
Thanks.

CamaroSpike23 03-07-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 326169)
Spike -

Those are good observations and great ideas. I do know that the wastegates are done that way for clearance. When I had Tom do a motor for me before, I brought up some "new" ideas and he incorporated many of them in the build. He gave me good feedback on the ones that weren't such a hot idea.

If you don't mind, I would like to bring the throttle body one up.

Looks like you've been down this path before. :)
Thanks.

by all means pass the info along.

the one thing i can think of as far as the t/b goes is that possibly the dual blade setup allows for better air mixing from each turbo into the intake, but I dont have any airflow data that would substantiate either way, but one would imagine that running a monoblade setup over a dual, split blade setup would prove to be less restrictive.

as for the waste gate routing, the only other option i can think of off hand is to run it in a "Y" fashion right where the downpipe bends down to the turbo. then you could run a shorter oil line (whoopity do...lol), and run the waste gate pretty much straight forward and somewhat parallel to the turbo itself with overall shorter length of tubing for the wastegate as well..

and while im sure this setup is pushing 800hp... ya never know... could be pushing 817hp with a few minor changes...:headbang:

Nexus6 03-07-2009 05:04 PM

Yeah it kind of looks like a stealth ram setup for an L98

CamaroSpike23 03-07-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus6 (Post 326204)
Yeah it kind of looks like a stealth ram setup for an L98

arent sheet metal intakes beautiful?

Ject 03-07-2009 05:16 PM

wow... $20k price tag...

CamaroSpike23 03-07-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ject (Post 326228)
wow... $20k price tag...

on a group (3 or more) purchase.

speedster 03-07-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 326201)
by all means pass the info along.

the one thing i can think of as far as the t/b goes is that possibly the dual blade setup allows for better air mixing from each turbo into the intake, but I dont have any airflow data that would substantiate either way, but one would imagine that running a monoblade setup over a dual, split blade setup would prove to be less restrictive.

as for the waste gate routing, the only other option i can think of off hand is to run it in a "Y" fashion right where the downpipe bends down to the turbo. then you could run a shorter oil line (whoopity do...lol), and run the waste gate pretty much straight forward and somewhat parallel to the turbo itself with overall shorter length of tubing for the wastegate as well..

and while im sure this setup is pushing 800hp... ya never know... could be pushing 817hp with a few minor changes...:headbang:

Thanks spike. Methods and ideas for increased performance from people such as yourself is why these message boards are so great.

I'll be sure to bring it up.

Thank You Again.