Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Separate key and fob (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303538)

pr3dict 06-23-2013 01:35 PM

Separate key and fob

Soooo does GM or an aftermarket company make a key and fob separate from each other? I frequently have to drive places and run in for only a few seconds and would hate to have to turn the car on/off every time I do that. So what I usually do is keep key in ignition and use a quick release key chain and take the fob with me and lock the car...

ALSO, and this is a big one, I am a firefighter and there are many times in the middle of the night that I have to get up and drive to the firehouse (rather quickly) and then park the car and jump on a truck. It kills me to start the car up beat the **** out of it and then turn it off in a matter of 3 minutes. So what I normally do is when I get to my destination I keep the car on and lock it because calls are usually only a matter of 1/2 hour so I'd rather keep my car idling for a half hour then turn it on and off so quick like that. Also a lot of the time someone will take my key from from my locker and turn the car off for me if I'm gone for an extended period of time...

Any suggestions?

RJT Impala 06-23-2013 01:40 PM

when you get to the station, turn the car off, lock it, then use the remote start. It willshut off after 10 minutes and it will remain secure.

pr3dict 06-23-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJT Impala (Post 6704862)
when you get to the station, turn the car off, lock it, then use the remote start. It willshut off after 10 minutes and it will remain secure.

I ordered a m6 no remote start =/

RJT Impala 06-23-2013 01:48 PM

Sorry--I missed that.

pr3dict 06-23-2013 01:49 PM

no biggie. I never wrote it above.

CamaroKid300 06-23-2013 02:46 PM

Well....I'd just say shut the car off...I doubt it will really hurt it.

flyinlow 06-23-2013 04:35 PM

You're over thinking it, turn the car off, you're not going to hurt it. If you were running a turbo you might want to idle it for a bit, but you're not so no harm. Its also illegal in most states to leave a car running unattended with the key in the ignition. Remote start systems are exempted because you still have to put the key in the ignition to move the car.

pr3dict 06-23-2013 04:54 PM

Hah I hope you guys are right. Something about taking a cold engine in the winter from sitting still to high load in a matter of 3 minutes to not moving again (not having the coolant flowing ect...) scares the **** out of me... It reminds me of that radio station that told everyone to throw hot water on their windshields to melt all the ice one winter morning and a bunch of idiots actually did it and cracked their windshields. I feel like that's what I'm doing to my engine.

FenwickHockey65 06-23-2013 05:26 PM

It should be fine.

derklug 06-23-2013 05:32 PM

In the days of carburators, constant cold runs would load up the oil with fuel. Modern engines are not bothered by short cycles since the O2 sensors have heaters to get them online quickly.

Storm T 06-23-2013 05:32 PM

I would be more worried someone would break the window and bye bye Camaro. Wasn't that long ago here in Tulsa that someone broke into a fire station while they were out on a call and stole things and vandalized it.

pr3dict 06-23-2013 05:37 PM

Ok I feel better about it now. Kinda weirdly can't wait until I get it so I can drive it then shut it off real quick. :crazy: lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm T (Post 6705627)
I would be more worried someone would break the window and bye bye Camaro. Wasn't that long ago here in Tulsa that someone broke into a fire station while they were out on a call and stole things and vandalized it.

We have a 24/7 dispatcher that sits in a weird watchtower type looking thing over the parking lot.

http://labelme.csail.mit.edu/Images/...xqoqfbeovq.jpg

^^^ That's what it looks like!

Rockamakis 06-23-2013 05:37 PM

Just take the second set with you.

Trentin24 06-23-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr3dict (Post 6705494)
Hah I hope you guys are right. Something about taking a cold engine in the winter from sitting still to high load in a matter of 3 minutes to not moving again (not having the coolant flowing ect...) scares the **** out of me... It reminds me of that radio station that told everyone to throw hot water on their windshields to melt all the ice one winter morning and a bunch of idiots actually did it and cracked their windshields. I feel like that's what I'm doing to my engine.

I would be more worried about driving my cold 1LE in the winter with those performance tires and crashing.