Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Just a Thought ON FI (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139936)

BlueSteele 04-09-2011 12:18 AM

Just a Thought ON FI

I know there have been many failed attempts trying to get more power out of the 3.6 Camaro. Is it a PCM issue, direct injection issue, or both?

I was thinking, instead of modifying our motor, why not mess with the non-DI motors from the older CTS' ?

You could buy the motor, tear it down, install the DI head gaskets (to handle the boost) and build from there. Then, no DI to deal with and a potentially mod-friendly motor?

Of course, one could argue that if you're going to do a motor swap, drop a V8 in there or put a Nissan Z motor or something else. This is just a random thought to the V6 mod issue. If I had the money I would try it myself.

jagan323 04-09-2011 12:20 AM

what are you talking about? Lol.. there are FI options already...

GretchenGotGrowl 04-09-2011 12:18 PM

DI and FI aren't incompatable. Our high compression ratio does limit our total boost compared to something like a mazda speed 3, but we also have larger displacement to start with. The ECU is different, but it is programable. It seems to me making power isn't the problem any more, it's getting the power to the ground (especially on the A6).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueSteele 04-09-2011 03:56 PM

Cool. Just a late night thought after seeing the problems the guy from Chicago is having with the STS and the dropped Lingenfelter project. I figured the non-DI 3.6 would be easier to play with.

GretchenGotGrowl 04-09-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSteele (Post 3075245)
Cool. Just a late night thought after seeing the problems the guy from Chicago is having with the STS and the dropped Lingenfelter project. I figured the non-DI 3.6 would be easier to play with.

Might be easier, but once we get a good understanding of how this engine really works and the best way to mod it, I think we are going to be very happy with it. I believe DI is the future and just think want an advantage you will have when the V8 versions will have by already having modded a DI V6.

As for a new engine, well if it were me I'd probably drop an 427 ci in there if I was going to go to all that trouble. Put a blower on it and you'd have a beast!:happyanim:

usa1camaro1969 04-09-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 3075467)
As for a new engine, well if it were me I'd probably drop an 427 ci in there if I was going to go to all that trouble. Put a blower on it and you'd have a beast!:happyanim:

I have an aluminum headed 496 in the garage along with a t56 6-spd for when the 3.6 finally craps out. Who needs a blower when nitrous is readily available.

scrming 04-10-2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 (Post 3076062)
I have an aluminum headed 496 in the garage along with a t56 6-spd for when the 3.6 finally craps out. Who needs a blower when nitrous is readily available.

I like nitrous too... BUT, it really isn't practical on the street... and it is illegal to run on the street in most states... So yeah, N2O for a dedicated track car, but for a daily driver or street car, I prefer a turbo or supercharger...

GretchenGotGrowl 04-10-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 (Post 3076062)

Wow, me likey. Although I agree with Scrming on the N02 stuff, if you only want the power at the track that setup will be awesome.