Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Range AFM Disable Reviews / Questions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283175)

SSGUNNER 03-19-2013 10:48 AM

I just did one test with my Onstar app and these are my findings:

It appears that with the range device plugged in and try to update the Onstar app to check tps, oil life, fuel range...etc it receives an error read and doesnt provide data.
Im curious since i can remote start my car from the app and/or my key fob if it would work or not. This will be a test i will not try! Just saying. Anyone wants to do it be my guest. As of right now this is the only flaw i have come accross.

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/4137/s...3031908423.png

cam62 03-19-2013 11:05 AM

Didn't think about that. I don't use onstar so it didn't cross my mind.

I was reading another thread somewhere just recently where anything plugged into your obdii port will interfere with onstar updates.

People in that thread stated they would remove whatever it was they had plugged in for onstar updates.

I have trouble with figuring out how to effectively use the search feature here and can't quickly find that thread.

PalmerGA 03-19-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGUNNER (Post 6304972)
I just did one test with my Onstar app and these are my findings:

It appears that with the range device plugged in and try to update the Onstar app to check tps, oil life, fuel range...etc it receives an error read and doesnt provide data.
Im curious since i can remote start my car from the app and/or my key fob if it would work or not. This will be a test i will not try! Just saying. Anyone wants to do it be my guest. As of right now this is the only flaw i have come accross.

Hmmmm... interesting. I don't have a fancy phone w/ Onstar app, but I have been wondering what will happen when Onstar does their monthly Vehicle Diagnostics Report that they send to me via email. I contacted Onstar by email and asked if the diagnostic reports also go to GM or my dealer. The following is their reply:

"Our records indicate that your are enrolled in the Dealer Maintenance Notification program. Enrollment into this program means that your monthly OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics report is not only e-mailed to you but also to your preferred dealership. If you would like to opt out of this program, please press your blue OnStar button or call us at 1-888-4ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827)."

Now I don't know if the report would show the type of reading error Gunner got or not but, I'm thinking it might. (reporting it to me AND my dealer). The reports are usually dated within the first week of each month. Don't know whether to wait and see what happens, or to "opt out" of that particular Onstar service.

Any thoughts?

latino2SS 03-19-2013 11:28 AM

I just logged into my OnStar account. I was also enrolled in the dealer maintenance notification program. I was able to un-enroll through my account so that the dealer no longer gets updates from OnStar about my car.

After logging in:

Click on blue OnStar Services tab at top
Under Diagnostics, click manage
Uncheck "Enroll in Dealer Maintenance Notification" box
Click Save changes

90503 03-19-2013 11:44 AM

Palmer, wouldn't the same be true of any code-reader or other device? That is, any time the port is unoccupied, On-Star would get it's info...and be a non-issue...

I mean, if you want the ONStar reports, just unplug the thing once a week or whatever...

Adam @ Range 03-19-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6305221)
Palmer, wouldn't the same be true of any code-reader or other device? That is, any time the port is unoccupied, On-Star would get it's info...and be a non-issue...

I mean, if you want the ONStar reports, just unplug the thing once a week or whatever...

That's right. Range is not interrupting the communication at all - it just doesn't like a device being there at all. Onstar essentially asks the OBDII if something is plugged in and it wakes up the Range. We'd love to find a way around this - but we have been dealing with this since 2002 and have not yet found a solution.

Adam

Adam @ Range 03-19-2013 11:54 AM

Just wanted to post the link to buy again. Gotten a lot of questions on that.

http://www.rangetechnology.com/collections/all

Choose Range V8.

Coupon code: CAMARO5.

Thanks again for all the support!! This thread is much friendlier than the last...

Adam

intofx 03-19-2013 12:50 PM

Got mine yesterday and made my 1 hour commute with it this am. The AFM was completely gone. The product works as advertised. As far as adding performance, there is none to speak of except that the power is there when you need it. The dangerous transition hesitation is now gone. It seems my car WILL get out of it's own way in traffic. It's sad that we have to spend $200 to make our vehicles function as they should from the factory. Kudos to Range for making this product!

SSGUNNER 03-19-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latino2SS (Post 6305160)
I just logged into my OnStar account. I was also enrolled in the dealer maintenance notification program. I was able to un-enroll through my account so that the dealer no longer gets updates from OnStar about my car.

After logging in:

Click on blue OnStar Services tab at top
Under Diagnostics, click manage
Uncheck "Enroll in Dealer Maintenance Notification" box
Click Save changes

I just unchecked that.

Forty5th 03-19-2013 01:29 PM

Clock started. Waiting for mine... :popcorn:

nyrfan 03-19-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forty5th (Post 6305679)
Clock started. Waiting for mine... :popcorn:

Me too!

Adam, I just sent you a PM, can you please check I selected the correct unit.

Thanks!

rare991 03-19-2013 01:45 PM

Just ordered.... cant wait to turn this afm off!

PalmerGA 03-19-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 6305221)

I hear ya, but according to the report history dates, since December (when I bought the car) the reports were taken on a date early in each month that span 5 days. Anywhere from the 8th to the 13th of the month. I can't see having to mark my calendar each month to remove the Range device for 5 or 6 (maybe more) days.

I took latino2SS' advice and opted out of the Dealer Maintenance Notification feature. I don't intend for them to do any of the "scheduled" maintenance anyway.

I'll just leave the device in and see what Onstar's April Diagnostic Report looks like, since I do like getting them. If they are inconclusive, like Gunner's ap report was, I may have to come up with another solution. I can alway use the DIC to check the car (as I do fairly often anyway) and just remove the Onstar diagnostics altogether (if possible).

PalmerGA 03-19-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGUNNER (Post 6305675)
I just unchecked that.

Ditto. Thanks latino!

Adam @ Range 03-19-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfan (Post 6305709)
Me too!

Adam, I just sent you a PM, can you please check I selected the correct unit.

Thanks!

Don't worry guys. We assume if you use the CAMARO5 coupon code - that you'd like V8.

I think we're all good. Shipping today.

Adam

D.HOOD 03-19-2013 02:10 PM

Can't wait to get this!! I have a Corsa cat back and my car sounds like it's farting the entire way out of my neighborhood! Thanks for offering a "non warranty voiding" solution! Also, thanks for the fast shipment! Ordered and 20 min later, I have a tracking number. Can't beat that!

90503 03-19-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmerGA (Post 6305739)
I hear ya, but according to the report history dates, since December (when I bought the car) the reports were taken on a date early in each month that span 5 days. Anywhere from the 8th to the 13th of the month. I can't see having to mark my calendar each month to remove the Range device for 5 or 6 (maybe more) days.

I took latino2SS' advice and opted out of the Dealer Maintenance Notification feature. I don't intend for them to do any of the "scheduled" maintenance anyway.

I'll just leave the device in and see what Onstar's April Diagnostic Report looks like, since I do like getting them. If they are inconclusive, like Gunner's ap report was, I may have to come up with another solution. I can alway use the DIC to check the car (as I do fairly often anyway) and just remove the Onstar diagnostics altogether (if possible).

Or, for fun, run without the device for one day, and see if On-Star picks up info for it's report whenever it can...lol..

...just sayin' I'm sure some folks have had their car down for whatever reason...battery...body shop...., whatever for various periods of time, and would still get their data for the month from On-star...dunno...

nyrfan 03-19-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam @ Range (Post 6305786)
Don't worry guys. We assume if you use the CAMARO5 coupon code - that you'd like V8.

I think we're all good. Shipping today.

Adam

I kind of figured that, thanks!

Sent from my 2SS/RS

nyrfan 03-19-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.HOOD (Post 6305829)
Can't wait to get this!! I have a Corsa cat back and my car sounds like it's farting the entire way out of my neighborhood! Thanks for offering a "non warranty voiding" solution! Also, thanks for the fast shipment! Ordered and 20 min later, I have a tracking number. Can't beat that!

I took my Corsa of after only 5 miles because I could not take the AFM sound. So I've had an $1,100 paperweight sitting in my guest room for the least 2 months. I cannot wait to get this and put the Corsa back on.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

Adam @ Range 03-19-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfan (Post 6305889)
I took my Corsa of after only 5 miles because I could not take the AFM sound. So I have an $1,100 paperweight sitting in my guest room for the least 2 months. I cannot wait to get this and put the Corsa back on.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

Nyrfan -
When you feel comfortable, could you put your results up as a review on Amazon. I think we will start the process of working with the exhaust companies soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Range-Technolo...3721359&sr=1-1

Thanks,
Adam

nyrfan 03-19-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam @ Range (Post 6305899)
Nyrfan -
When you feel comfortable, could you put your results up as a review on Amazon. I think we will start the process of working with the exhaust companies soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Range-Technolo...3721359&sr=1-1

Thanks,
Adam

Yep, I will do that!

AKAviking14 03-19-2013 09:22 PM

How long will the CAMARO5 discount last Adam?

TDevilsG 03-19-2013 09:58 PM

Just bought mine. There are certain mods and adjustments you do immediately without hesitation, and this has been one that I've been waiting to do for a long time. Looking forward to trying it out.

SSGUNNER 03-19-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmerGA (Post 6305106)
Hmmmm... interesting. I don't have a fancy phone w/ Onstar app, but I have been wondering what will happen when Onstar does their monthly Vehicle Diagnostics Report that they send to me via email. I contacted Onstar by email and asked if the diagnostic reports also go to GM or my dealer. The following is their reply:

"Our records indicate that your are enrolled in the Dealer Maintenance Notification program. Enrollment into this program means that your monthly OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics report is not only e-mailed to you but also to your preferred dealership. If you would like to opt out of this program, please press your blue OnStar button or call us at 1-888-4ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827)."

Now I don't know if the report would show the type of reading error Gunner got or not but, I'm thinking it might. (reporting it to me AND my dealer). The reports are usually dated within the first week of each month. Don't know whether to wait and see what happens, or to "opt out" of that particular Onstar service.

Any thoughts?

Palmer:

So i unplugged the Range when i arrived home and did the onstar app update and now it reads correctly and provides data correctly. Now i know that it wont get a good read with the range device plugged in. Goo info to know for those you that still have the onstar and the app. I normally check the app everyday i drive her. Maybe i will need to change that. I too will leave the device for the next monthly diagnostics with onstar and see what happens.

cadyshac 03-19-2013 10:19 PM

Adam, any plans to offer different colored LED's with this?