Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Do you think GM missed the ball my making the z/28 a track only car? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285506)

Hylton 03-27-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolFan66 (Post 6346055)
They built the Z/28 just as it should be. If you add all the other crap then it's not a true Z/28..

If anything they left to much in it..

You have the ZL1 if you want the comfort and performance..

If you want the badge buy it and slap it on your car, it will be cheaper in the long run and just as fake if GM put in all the luxury crap..

This!

People need to understand the history of the Z/28. This nameplate lost it's essence 40 years ago and this Camaro Team has put the brand back where it belongs. This car could come with bare floors and they'd sell every one of them.

Michael2000 03-27-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Sun (Post 6345940)
yeah but I think it would be one of those limited cars. people can always add a/c and radio if they really want it

There are no speakers or wiring, except for one speaker required by law for the chimes. Plus they took out all the sound insulation. There's not even a trunk mat or tire inflator.

It's definitely a track car. I do wish they would come out with a version that is a street car that can be taken to the track as is, something more along the lines of my '73 Z/28.

Michael

Fraxum 03-27-2013 09:46 PM

The Z28 is exactly what many interested in perfromance wanted. And exactly like the Boss 302 was.

The LS7 is not to be a mass produced motor like the LS3 is and the LSA could be. it will always be the most exotic LS motor and limited in volume. The Z28 is for the few who know what it is and can afford it.

There are plenty of other Camaros for the rest of us.

Hylton 03-27-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael2000 (Post 6346348)
There are no speakers or wiring, except for one speaker required by law for the chimes. Plus they took out all the sound insulation. There's not even a trunk mat or tire inflator.

It's definitely a track car. I do wish they would come out with a version that is a street car that can be taken to the track as is, something more along the lines of my '73 Z/28.

Michael

They have that already. It's called a 1LE.

Fraxum 03-27-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael2000 (Post 6346348)

Michael

That's the 1LE. A 1SS 1LE for $37K (still an expensive car, I know) is a track ready car that can give you track thrills for cheap. The Z28 is for the serious.

Edit: Oops, Im too slow.

Russo 03-27-2013 09:51 PM

perhaps i'm the most ignorant Chevrolet member here, but I don't think GM purposely limited the production of 60s z28s like they are going to do now..

CamaroTom 03-27-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolFan66 (Post 6346227)
And what are the Z/28 goodies?

The car is what it's supposed to be. All the goodies are in it..

The goodies are the 200 chassis/suspension modifications, LS7, seats, aero parts, rear end...do i need to go on?

With all those mods why strip it down to save 100lbs? Look what they accomplished with the 1LE. They didnt need to strip this car. Atleast make it where you can add what options you want.

Fraxum 03-27-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylton (Post 6346314)
This!

People need to understand the history of the Z/28. This nameplate lost it's essence 40 years ago and this Camaro Team has put the brand back where it belongs. This car could come with bare floors and they'd sell every one of them.

Good point about the console though. Why did they leave that?

Hylton 03-27-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russo (Post 6346393)
perhaps i'm the most ignorant Chevrolet member here, but I don't think GM purposely limited the production of 60s z28s like they are going to do now..

No they didn't but I am sure they have supply limitations.

Hylton 03-27-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraxum (Post 6346406)
Good point about the console though. Why did they leave that?

The black box is under it and the battery cable runs through it. Having said that, they did drop it for the COPO's didn't they?

Bad@ssCamaro 03-27-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccinator (Post 6346401)
The goodies are the 200 chassis/suspension modifications, LS7, seats, aero parts, rear end...do i need to go on?

With all those mods why strip it down to save 100lbs? Look what they accomplished with the 1LE. They didnt need to strip this car. Atleast make it where you can add what options you want.

You should listen to what Hylton, 2nd Chance, Fraxum,Toolfan66, 14 Pilot are saying. They, as well as I, know the history behind the badge (Z/28) and we know that GM did what was right in honoring the return of a legend. In the 6th gen you will most likely get a watered down version of a true streetable racecar(The Z/28)

ToolFan66 03-27-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccinator (Post 6346401)
Atleast make it where you can add what options you want.

Then it would not be a true Z/28...

This is the reason, and be glad you have them the ZL1, and 1LE..

CamaroTom 03-27-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro (Post 6346427)
You should listen to what Hylton, 2nd Chance, Fraxum, 14 Pilot are saying. They, as well as I, now the history behind the badge (Z/28) and we know that GM did what was right in honoring the return of a legend. In the 6th gen you will most likely get a watered down version of a true streetable racecar(The Z/28)

I know the history also! Times have changed! A 100lbs will make all the difference in a 2 ton car? For $65,000 I should be able to buy a car with a radio if I want it.

jkupa10 03-27-2013 10:14 PM

They got it right. The ZL1 is the daily driver that you can take to the track. The Z/28 is the track car you can drive daily.

"...Beyond the monster naturally-aspirated engine, the Z/28 features unique shocks, tires, brakes, suspension tuning, and a comprehensive and strategic lightening that ditches many of the niceties found on "consumer-grade" Camaros in pursuit of maximum performance. Even air conditioning, which most of us now take for granted as standard equipment even in the lowliest econoboxes, is offered only as a stand-alone option in concession to the Z/28's limited dual purpose as a street car. As Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser put it, this is "the fastest road-racing Camaro possible that's still street-legal."..."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2Onh4IMe8

Also read this, you'll understand afterwards: http://www.gm.com/article.content_pa...echnology.html