Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   DIY Rear Tail light Bezel & Tail Light Removal (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189394)

Hellfighter 12-22-2013 01:24 AM

Black always did look good :3, cant wait to paint mine.

RenegadeXR 12-30-2013 04:18 PM

Just curious. What tool do you use to fasten/unscrew the bolts on the outer taillights? Nothing I have can get close to them. Socket wrench with an extender? Normal wrench? Some other tool I may have not heard of?

I currently have a standard socket wrench and it can't reach the bottom bolt.

LiquidDragon 12-30-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenegadeXR (Post 7297039)
Just curious. What tool do you use to fasten/unscrew the bolts on the outer taillights? Nothing I have can get close to them. Socket wrench with an extender? Normal wrench? Some other tool I may have not heard of?

I currently have a standard socket wrench and it can't reach the bottom bolt.

You can get an open end wrench on them if you remove the bulbs. BTW mine were only on finger tight when i removed mine this past weekend.

Mvp_Me 12-30-2013 09:01 PM

I get the two top tabs off but the bottom ones won't come off for the life of me. Ill try again tomorrow. -_-

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

LiquidDragon 12-30-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mvp_Me (Post 7297741)
I get the two top tabs off but the bottom ones won't come off for the life of me. Ill try again tomorrow. -_-

The rubber wedge trick works the best. i also couldn't get the bottoms ones unclipped and ended up just using the rubber wedge to pop them out with no issues.

RenegadeXR 12-31-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidDragon (Post 7297487)
You can get an open end wrench on them if you remove the bulbs. BTW mine were only on finger tight when i removed mine this past weekend.

Thanks. Same here. I had no issue taking the nuts off, but putting them on is taking a while. 2+ hours and counting plus brainstorming to devise some sort of hack to get around the fact that my fingers barely fit. By balling my hand even slightly to hold the nut, I can't come close to fitting it down there. I'm thinking of putting the nut's washer on the edge of a long piece of scotch tape and lowering it down into place, then spinning it just enough to get it partially threaded. Putting that engineering degree to work. :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mvp_Me (Post 7297741)

Search for "body panel removal" on Amazon. I got a very cheap kit for a few bucks with a couple prying tools. These things make removing the bezels insanely easy and won't damage them. You'll be able to hook it right into the crevices where the clips are located and pop them out in about 1 minute per bezel. My bezels were too securely fastened to be removed by hand, and I have no doubt I would've broken them if I tried it.

Brazensol 07-27-2014 06:31 PM

Did the driver side tonight and will finish other side tomorrow. I found the easiest way to get the bezel off was to work it around from the top in one direction ( I went clockwise but doubt it matters). The first one put up a fight and tried the c/w method on the second one and it came right off.

Be very careful with the tabs. I broke one while I was sanding the chrome plating. It didn't take much effort at all to break it so it may have already been damaged.

Also be careful while prying the bezel off so as not to damage the paint on the bumper/surround. Tomorrow I am going to put some tape under the bezel where it meets the bumper/surround just to be on the safe side. I did put a very minor blemish on the bumper/surround today so don't want to take the chance of doing it again. Otherwise this is an easy mod and really makes the car look nice!!!

Forgot to add I am smoking the taillights too!

Mikey D 03-16-2015 11:37 PM

Awesome DIY, thank you. Just installed mine today. I broke 2 of the original bezels, both inner ones. But these are cheap pieces of shit so no worries. I had trouble getting the top plugs back in completely on both sides. Wish we could have the smoked tail lights here.

http://i.imgur.com/QEzIqEo.jpg

Kronix 03-17-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey D (Post 8299297)
Awesome DIY, thank you. Just installed mine today. I broke 2 of the original bezels, both inner ones. But these are cheap pieces of shit so no worries. I had trouble getting the top plugs back in completely on both sides. Wish we could have the smoked tail lights here.

http://i.imgur.com/QEzIqEo.jpg

Looks great man! Glad you guys liked the DIY, appreciate it!