Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Want to upgrade the MyLink from w/o Nav to w/ Nav. Can it be done? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306010)

Ladykiller 07-06-2013 06:31 AM

Want to upgrade the MyLink from w/o Nav to w/ Nav. Can it be done?

So I bought a 2013 ZL1 w/o navigation because I did not think it was worth an $795 upgrade. Now that I got my car, I just can't find a happy spot for my Garmin GPS navigation and I don't care for using the navigation on my phone either. So now I am wishing I had bought the navigation option ..... doh.

So is there any way to upgrade from my current Chevrolet MyLink™1 with 7" diagonal color touch screen to the Chevrolet MyLink™1 with navigation? If so, how much will this cost? And how easy/hard is it to do?

Bargeratt 07-06-2013 06:42 AM

Good question. I did the same thing. Did not think it was something I needed due to not planning on taking the car on far trips but now have used on star to find places more than once. I think I just might keep on star with navi.

cvp33 07-06-2013 07:20 AM

I use the Bluetooth and Google maps from my phone. It interrupts the radio to give directions only, then right back to the music......just like standard OEM NAV would. I really can't justify getting NAV in a car anymore.

Skylane765 07-06-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladykiller (Post 6756048)
So I bought a 2013 ZL1 w/o navigation because I did not think it was worth an $795 upgrade. Now that I got my car, I just can't find a happy spot for my Garmin GPS navigation and I don't care for using the navigation on my phone either. So now I am wishing I had bought the navigation option ..... doh.

So is there any way to upgrade from my current Chevrolet MyLink™1 with 7" diagonal color touch screen to the Chevrolet MyLink™1 with navigation? If so, how much will this cost? And how easy/hard is it to do?

I looked into adding the NAV in my car after I got it because it was on constraint. The NAV is factory install only and not worth tying to convert. I have all the part numbers but you would have to have it all reprogrammed and parts cost are high plus the install is very costly. I waited and got the NAV.

djnice 07-06-2013 12:21 PM

Yes, you can add navigation to the factory system. Here is one company that makes it. http://www.mocar.us/navigation-oe-in...vy-gmc/camaro/

When I looked into it 6 months ago it was around $1500 for the full install. I didn't look hard for a way to buy it without paying someone to install it.
It has been discussed on the forum before and some people have had it done.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 07-06-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladykiller (Post 6756048)

Hello Ladykiller,

Have you had the opportunity to speak with your dealer about you options with upgrading your navigation system? If not, I can investigate that for you more. I would need you to private message me your VIN and your dealer's information.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Skylane765 07-06-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 6756833)
Hello Ladykiller,

Have you had the opportunity to speak with your dealer about you options with upgrading your navigation system? If not, I can investigate that for you more. I would need you to private message me your VIN and your dealer's information.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Yes, I did talk to the dealer 3 of them, and they said it would be a high cost and was factory only. Yes there are many after market NAVs out there that you can upgrade to.

Ladykiller 07-06-2013 03:30 PM

I have not talked to them as of yet, but I will probably get over there some time this week. I'll message you my VIN and dealers info later.

Thanks!

Quote:

Hello Ladykiller,

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Chevrolet Customer Svc 07-06-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladykiller (Post 6757299)
I have not talked to them as of yet, but I will probably get over there some time this week. I'll message you my VIN and dealers info later.

Thanks!

Sounds great Ladykiller, I look forward to your pm.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

The Stig 07-06-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Hello Ladykiller,

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

GM and Chevrolet both will say that it's not possible.

Also - 2SSRS should be coming out with something to do this soon.

;)

SPARTAN sui 07-06-2013 05:18 PM

Have you checked out http://www.proclipusa.com/ ?

Here's my proclip setup. (though I don't think my particular mount is compatible with 2012+ newer Camaros due to the leather trim on the dash.)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...81645906_o.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...00942484_o.jpg

I have the Garmin 50LM that I bought for $100 on sale. Lifetime maps for free and works awesome! The proclip ran me around $60 I believe.

Asanti 07-06-2013 06:30 PM

There are other posts on this subject. I had the aftermarket version professionally installed and couldn't be happier with it. You can find details on my install, who did it, cost, etc. in another post.

AZ2SSRS 07-07-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvp33 (Post 6756096)
I use the Bluetooth and Google maps from my phone. It interrupts the radio to give directions only, then right back to the music......just like standard OEM NAV would. I really can't justify getting NAV in a car anymore.

Ditto. The factory nav will set you back over $700 and you will have to pay GM for future map updates. The recent update for the nav in my wife's 2010 CTS was priced at $150.

Ladykiller 07-09-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 6756829)

Hello Ladykiller,

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Still awaiting your response. I sent you PM's with the required info.