Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tire pressure computer issue (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98471)

UT-Engineer 08-03-2010 09:54 AM

Tire pressure computer issue

I had a nail in my tire about a month ago. The only way i noticed it was when the computer told me i had 25 PSI in the tire, all the others showed 37/38 PSI. The issue I had was... the diagram that pops up in the dispay menu with the car and 4 tires showed the driverside front/left tire blinking (blinking meaning it was the one with low tire pressure). At the time i didnt see the nail, i just went off the diagram. So i put air into the tire based off the dispay picture then relaized i had put air into the wrong tire when it said that one tire now had 60psi and I was still showing the other with 25psi. It was then that i relaized the diagram is upside down. The tires that appear to be the front of the car on the display are actually the back tires on the car and vice versa. Is this a computer programed issue or is this normal? From the diagram image on the dispay menu it appears that the front of the car is facing up and not down, that is why i made the assumption that my front left (driverside) tire had the nail, when it was actually the rear (driverside).:iono: sorry this may sound confusing lol

MIT'13 08-03-2010 10:06 AM

That is definitely not normal my friend. The diagram on the computer SHOULD have each tire on the corner of the actual corner it corresponds with. I got a flat a while back and the computer told me the correct tire that had deflated, on the front left side. Mine had gone down to about 21 PSI, and it was visibly flat from the outside. For future reference, if a tire is really that deflated, you should be able to tell for yourself, so just make sure to do a manual check. Do you have the 20" tires? Also, an analog air pressure gauge is always a good investment, since they're only like 7 bucks.

p3jason 08-03-2010 10:08 AM

Follow the TPMS sensor matching process on page 9-62 of the manual.

skuttduck 08-03-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p3jason (Post 2175436)
Follow the TPMS sensor matching process on page 9-62 of the manual.

Pretty easy to learn. If I may make a suggestion. To have the system learn, let air out of each tire to make it learn.

Also take note that the turn signal for the tire that it wants to learn will be illuminated.

Then when done pump air into each tire.

UT-Engineer 08-03-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIT'13 (Post 2175425)
That is definitely not normal my friend. The diagram on the computer SHOULD have each tire on the corner of the actual corner it corresponds with. I got a flat a while back and the computer told me the correct tire that had deflated, on the front left side. Mine had gone down to about 21 PSI, and it was visibly flat from the outside. For future reference, if a tire is really that deflated, you should be able to tell for yourself, so just make sure to do a manual check. Do you have the 20" tires? Also, an analog air pressure gauge is always a good investment, since they're only like 7 bucks.

I have 19" tires. Yea i did a manual check once i realized it was the rear tire that had the nail in it. I found the nail eventually but still couldnt see a hugh deflation in the tire.

Thanks P3Jason and skuttduck, ill take a look into TPMS sensor matching. Always apprciate the help:bow:

One-Bad-ZL1 02-13-2012 06:01 PM

Hey all, here's one for ya. Only had my 2011 2SS for 2 weeks, still getting to know her. Cold New England weather just introduce me to the TPMS. The car cam with Pirelli P-Zeros and I was always taught to inflate to the recommended pressure on the tire sidewall, not the cars data plate. P-Zeros are 50 PSI max, but it appears the TPMS doesn't issue a warning until a tire is around 32 PSI. I read the manual but there doesn't seem to be a way to tell the car the alert PSI should be higher. Is this something we can set?

The Stig 02-13-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One-Bad-SS (Post 4477935)
Hey all, here's one for ya. Only had my 2011 2SS for 2 weeks, still getting to know her. Cold New England weather just introduce me to the TPMS. The car cam with Pirelli P-Zeros and I was always taught to inflate to the recommended pressure on the tire sidewall, not the cars data plate. P-Zeros are 50 PSI max, but it appears the TPMS doesn't issue a warning until a tire is around 32 PSI. I read the manual but there doesn't seem to be a way to tell the car the alert PSI should be higher. Is this something we can set?

inflate your tires to 36 PSI. Per the owner's manual. Also, P-zeros are SUMMER tires, they are not rated to be driven in temps lower than 40 degrees

clg_98ta 02-13-2012 06:18 PM

Your tires probably got rotated (front to back) at some point