Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Difference in launch modes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9127)

MerlinZero 10-30-2008 10:16 PM

Difference in launch modes

Ok,

I've been reading but i bet i missed it. I understand how the Launch Mode works with the LS3. But can anyone explain how the Launch Mode works in the L99?

Does it work similarly to how the Ferrari 430 works (just for example) to put it into Launch Mode, you hold down on the Down Shift paddle for 2 seconds then the engine will rev to 4,000 before it engages the gear?

Just a thought i was having.

DMX 10-30-2008 10:21 PM

As far as I know Launch Control is only available on the manual.

headpunter 10-30-2008 10:22 PM

there is no launch mode on the l99

with an auto you simply floor the brake, give like 2000 rpm on the gas and then let of the brake.....that is your launch mode....works the same as any other torque converter auto.

with the manual you will push the clutch pedal in, put it in 1st gear, then floor the gas pedal, (it will limit the rpm) and then you dump the clutch and away you go....

Supermans 10-30-2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 176949)
there is no launch mode on the l99

with an auto you simply floor the brake, give like 2000 rpm on the gas and then let of the brake.....that is your launch mode....works the same as any other torque converter auto.

with the manual you will push the clutch pedal in, put it in 1st gear, then floor the gas pedal, (it will limit the rpm) and then you dump the clutch and away you go....

Isn't that going to eat up your brakes real fast though though????

headpunter 10-30-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermans (Post 176996)

not if you let go fast.....=P

Dom 10-30-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermans (Post 176996)

I don't see how a car standing still can eat up the brakes.

MerlinZero 10-30-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom (Post 177000)
I don't see how a car standing still can eat up the brakes.

I think he means from the pressure that is being applied by the gas. Whilst you have full pressure on the brake.

Yeah i do this in my Subaru now, put on the brake, put it up to 3k rpm and then let go... the Brimbo's stand up good to this.

headpunter 10-30-2008 11:38 PM

if the wheel isnt moving you arent hurting the brakes anymore then braking the car into a corner.. mind you that the wheels are rotating more coming from a stop at 60 then they are at launch.

Supermans 10-31-2008 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 177007)
if the wheel isnt moving you arent hurting the brakes anymore then braking the car into a corner.. mind you that the wheels are rotating more coming from a stop at 60 then they are at launch.

Well than I have to ask the opposite then.. Is this hurting the gears at all running at 2000 rpm when not moving during the time of revving and pressing the brake all the way down? Or does it put pressure on any other component like the auto transmission for example or something else for that matter..?

Scott@Bjorn3D 10-31-2008 05:38 AM

We used to call that power braking in the old days. Only one small problem with it though. You will eventualy wear out the engine as the crankshaft ends up putting a sh!t load of pressure on the bearings doing it.

Supermans 10-31-2008 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 177143)
We used to call that power braking in the old days. Only one small problem with it though. You will eventualy wear out the engine as the crankshaft ends up putting a sh!t load of pressure on the bearings doing it.

That's what I was afraid of, and perhaps why it is not a good idea to do with the automatic.. So 0-60 times of 4.9 can only be achieved by doing this method???

Scott@Bjorn3D 10-31-2008 08:50 AM

My understanding is the 0-60 in the Auto was just by stomping on the pedal and they are 4.6 seconds and may get better. I do not think they would get worse.

Evilkosh99 10-31-2008 09:41 AM

Does the launch control feature limit the rpm to the same number every time it is used (for example 2000) or does it limit it to different rpm depending upon sensor inputs - (i.e. suspension mode, tire pressure, miles on the engine, etc.)?

headpunter 10-31-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilkosh99 (Post 177266)
Does the launch control feature limit the rpm to the same number every time it is used (for example 2000) or does it limit it to different rpm depending upon sensor inputs - (i.e. suspension mode, tire pressure, miles on the engine, etc.)?

same number as far asa we know