Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Doug Thorley Shorty Headers - Dyno is In! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79379)

John VS 04-23-2010 05:38 PM

Doug Thorley Shorty Headers - Dyno is In!

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the graph:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1272061051

This actually shows a small drop in HP, but it looks to me as if for some reason the second run ended earlier than the first one, causing the HP peak to be cut off.

The good news is that there is some significant gains in both HP and torque across the rpm range. At 4300 rpm, the headers gave a 13HP increase and about 16.5 torque. The torque gains are even greater lower down. At 3K rpm it looks like the torque numbers went from 185 to 215, for a gain of 30.

The overall before numbers seem in the right range to me, based on other dyno sheets I've seen for the automatic. This was run on a Dynojet, as you can see at the top of the graph.

Also, for those wondering, my car has a full 2.5 inch DT Catback system which was constant for both runs. I have no other mods besides changing the oil (Mobil 1) and the diff. fluid (Amsoil Severe Gear).

If anyone is interested in these, there will be a run of them. Not sure how big it will be at this moment. You can contact Nick @ Doug Thorley 951-733-1744 and put yourself on the list.

I'm picking up the car in the AM. I'll report on the butt dyno feel and sound tomorrow. Maybe even some video if I get back from the Costa Mesa meet early enough.

Update: I've added a link to a new video below.

devildoc 04-23-2010 05:44 PM

Nice very nice! :thumbup:

camarowa 04-23-2010 05:48 PM

very nice numbers. will be interesting to see if you get a CEL. Still on the fence about shorties. will be following this closely.

John VS 04-23-2010 05:49 PM

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more eager I am to go get my car. Can there really be a 100 jump in torque at 2400 RPM? I'm thinking that will be pretty easy to feel.

Quote:

will be interesting to see if you get a CEL.
Interesting isn't the word I'd use, but I see what you're saying. I'm hopeful that the weld-on nature of the part will prevent any leaks that seem to be the cause of the CELs some were getting with the JBAs.

scrming 04-23-2010 05:55 PM

cool stuff...

however... your baseline does seem to be a bit off... especially the low end torque... You mention 185 at 3000 RPM... Here is my 100% stock dyno:

http://www.johnnystacks.com/gallery/d/9387-1/best.jpg

Yes, I know dyno are different, blah, blah, blah... but at 3000 RPM my stock car was well over 200 ft/lbs at 3000 RPM... by 4300 RPM i'm pretty close to peaking which was at 222 ft/lbs...

Again... cool stuff! How's the new sound?

2010 4 DW 04-23-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John VS (Post 1760471)
Here's the graph:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1272061051

This actually shows a small drop in HP, but it looks to me as if for some reason the second run ended earlier than the first one, causing the HP peak to be cut off.

The good news is that there is some significant gains in both HP and torque across the rpm range. At 4300 rpm, the headers gave a 13HP increase and about 16.5 torque. The torque gains are even greater lower down. At 3K rpm it looks like the torque numbers went from 185 to 215, for a gain of 30.

The overall before numbers seem in the right range to me, based on other dyno sheets I've seen for the automatic. This was run on a Dynojet, as you can see at the top of the graph.

Also, for those wondering, my car has a full 2.5 inch DT Catback system which was constant for both runs. I have no other mods besides changing the oil (Mobil 1) and the diff. fluid (Amsoil Severe Gear).

If anyone is interested in these, there will be a run of them. Not sure how big it will be at this moment. You can contact Nick @ Doug Thorley 951-733-1744 and put yourself on the list.

I'm picking up the car in the AM. I'll report on the butt dyno feel and sound tomorrow. Maybe even some video if I get back from the Costa Mesa meet early enough.

The New V6 Camaro is a 3.6L.

DW

John VS 04-23-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

How's the new sound?
Will let you know when I pick it up tomorrow morning. Unfortunately my wife is out of town until late tonight, so I'm stuck.

I agree with you about the dyno. Seems like the torque numbers on the stock run are lower than normal. Not sure why.

BaylorCamaro 04-23-2010 06:41 PM

scrming, just curious what gains did you see with your shorty headers?

scrming 04-23-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce (Post 1760682)
scrming, just curious what gains did you see with your shorty headers?

Not much... Mrray13 showed about 5 rwhp... I seen a small improvement in my 0-60....

BaylorCamaro 04-23-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1760698)
Not much... Mrray13 showed about 5 rwhp... I seen a small improvement in my 0-60....

Even with the Trifecta tune you didn't see much? I mean 5rwhp isn't that bad, but anything below that.. :thumbdown:

scrming 04-23-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce (Post 1760706)
Even with the Trifecta tune you didn't see much? I mean 5rwhp isn't that bad, but anything below that.. :thumbdown:

Yep.... But it sounds so good!!!!! :happyanim: in fact I am sitting on my front porch randomly remote starting my car so I can listen to it!!! :facepalm: (digging this iPad thing.. Lol)

John VS 04-23-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

The New V6 Camaro is a 3.6L
Yes it is.

I don't think it affected the run.

KMPrenger 04-23-2010 08:15 PM

Wow, nice. Those look like fantastic gains....assuming your stock run was correct (which at the point in the RPMs that you measured the gains...it does look correct).

I think it should be noticeable forsure...will be looking forward to your report on feel and the change in sound.

John VS 04-23-2010 09:08 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about what scriming said. He's right that the bottom of the stock run seems low. But I think even if you ignore the stock run below 3K (where it looks noticeably low) and the headers run above 6.5K (where the run seems to have ended a bit early and clipped the peak) you've still got a big chunk of the power band that shows some really nice gains. I'm just eyeballing it, but it looks like about 12HP and 20TQ on average.

Even if you were to drop in scriming's stock run in place of mine (I know you can't really do it, diff. dynos on diff. days with diff. weather, etc....but just for fun) you'd still see some gains. At 4500 RPM I see about 7-8HP and maybe 10TQ. It's more like 15HP and 17TQ gains at 5K. All that to say, I think these probably are showing some pretty nice gains over stock.