Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Sidemarker LED Conversion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91974)

SuperFly03 06-27-2010 01:41 PM

Sidemarker LED Conversion

I've been looking around and I think I want to convert my sidemarkers to white LED's augmented by white LED's on my mirror from showstopper however I don't know where to get the replacement sidemarkers.

I've seen some replacement sidemarkers from AAC but they are amber and red LED strips not white.

See Here: http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...demarkers.aspx

I checked Texas regs and the sidemarkers and turn signals are permitted to be white (except for the turn signals on the rear of the car, no problem there). For those interested I can provide the exact wording. :thumbup:

Anyone have any thoughts?

Maybe I am just not looking in the right place.

Zalirid 06-27-2010 04:50 PM

You may have an issue finding them in white, simply due to the fact that so many states require amber...you may have to find someone to do it custom

SuperFly03 06-27-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalirid (Post 2033116)
You may have an issue finding them in white, simply due to the fact that so many states require amber...you may have to find someone to do it custom

Kind of what I was afraid of.

Wonder if any vendor will pop in and offer :popcorn:

bigsquirrel 06-27-2010 10:37 PM

Where there's a will... If I were you I'd by a single clear marker and see what it would take to get something like this in there. I don't think it would be to difficult.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...-flexible.html

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 06-28-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsquirrel (Post 2034276)
Where there's a will... If I were you I'd by a single clear marker and see what it would take to get something like this in there. I don't think it would be to difficult.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...-flexible.html

Where you been man!!?? LOL...

Hope you make the next track day/cruise.
Ivan

Support@OracleLights.com 06-29-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperFly03 (Post 2032602)
I've been looking around and I think I want to convert my sidemarkers to white LED's augmented by white LED's on my mirror from showstopper however I don't know where to get the replacement sidemarkers.

I've seen some replacement sidemarkers from AAC but they are amber and red LED strips not white.

See Here: http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...demarkers.aspx

I checked Texas regs and the sidemarkers and turn signals are permitted to be white (except for the turn signals on the rear of the car, no problem there). For those interested I can provide the exact wording. :thumbup:

Anyone have any thoughts?

Maybe I am just not looking in the right place.

For anyone interested I CAN custom build these side markers! :thumbup:

SuperFly03 you have a PM!

SuperFly03 06-29-2010 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan@AACstyle.com (Post 2039832)

Responded.

reasonable price too for a 1 off custom part.

Much appreciated.

I've added the exact regs for anyone else who is interested. I know Texas ordered some inordinate amount of Camaro's relative to the entire US so.... enjoy!

Support@OracleLights.com 06-29-2010 12:30 PM

You are welcome! If you need anything else please let me know!

CamaroSkooter 06-29-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperFly03 (Post 2040104)
Responded.

reasonable price too for a 1 off custom part.

Much appreciated.

I've added the exact regs for anyone else who is interested. I know Texas ordered some inordinate amount of Camaro's relative to the entire US so.... enjoy!

And for anyone reading that word document, the part where the regulations allow the sidemarkers to be white is at the very bottom (Sec. 547.332) :thumbsup:

GearHeadPeter 06-29-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan@AACstyle.com (Post 2039832)

Jonathan, I just received my LED P13 DRL/Fog bulbs. Very fast shipping, thanks. I have a question on the LED side markers. I am looking at getting the LED sidemarkers for my 2011, but I want to put a different twist on them as I want them to blink in unison with the front and rear blinkers.

For me it is more of a safety thing as the cars next to you will see the blinking side lights and know that you are changing lanes if you are next to them.

I have done this in the past on 60's muscle cars that I have built and I can wire them to the signal lights in the front and rear from the lead that will cause the dual filament turn signals to blink.

What do you think, is this possible?

Support@OracleLights.com 06-29-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter (Post 2041004)
Jonathan, I just received my LED P13 DRL/Fog bulbs. Very fast shipping, thanks. I have a question on the LED side markers. I am looking at getting the LED sidemarkers for my 2011, but I want to put a different twist on them as I want them to blink in unison with the front and rear blinkers.

For me it is more of a safety thing as the cars next to you will see the blinking side lights and know that you are changing lanes if you are next to them.

I have done this in the past on 60's muscle cars that I have built and I can wire them to the signal lights in the front and rear from the lead that will cause the dual filament turn signals to blink.

That can definitely be done! Like you said; all you will need is a dual intensity circuit and that will allow them to be parking lights/blinkers. The dual intensity circuits are only about $10 so it's a quick fix! Great idea! :thumbup:

wylde1 06-29-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter (Post 2041004)

The side markers don't blink??

Support@OracleLights.com 06-29-2010 04:51 PM

No they are a solid color (just like they come from Chevy) but you can add dual intensity circuits to make them blink.

GearHeadPeter 06-29-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wylde1 (Post 2041469)
The side markers don't blink??

Nope. I am used to a side indicator on my 98 BMW, but the Camaro's side markers do not blink. IMO, this is bad because from the side a driver next to you will not see your blinker as it is housed in the front grill, and on the tail it is also hidden.

But hey, necessity is the mother of invention, and we are always coming up with new ideas like the footwell lighting that a forum member diagramed for us.