Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Camaro Security System? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25574)

eapoll11 06-03-2009 11:28 AM

Camaro Security System?

Can anyone recomend a good security system?

CamaroHutch 06-03-2009 11:28 AM

Trunk Monkey

bossbunny 06-03-2009 11:28 AM

VIPER.
You can even get it with an attachment that you can take with you where ever and it will alert you when something is up with your car.

GothamCamaro 06-03-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgebunny (Post 547394)
VIPER.
You can even get it with an attachment that you can take with you where ever and it will alert you when something is up with your car.

Hey Bunny, I was at their site the other night, didn't see anything for the Camaro 5th Gen. Am I missing something?

bossbunny 06-03-2009 11:35 AM

I don't think they are all car specific.
Oh - looked at the website. gotcha, i see what you are talking about. Thats for the module thing that they ask for they car year. It makes the process easier... But its not necessary.
But I know a guy with a 2010 with Viper, I think you just have to go to the right electronic place and they should know what to do.
This is the system I was talking about.
http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProduc...ItemCode=5702V

pag1164 06-03-2009 11:37 AM

I have a viper on a 2004 chevy express van and a 2002 ford taurus. I don't think the make or model matters. It's a great system.

GothamCamaro 06-03-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgebunny (Post 547421)
I don't think they are all car specific.

This is the system I was talking about.
http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProduc...ItemCode=5702V

Thanks, I'll check it out again. Oh sorry.. I called you Bunny, I just read your Avatar... I will call you Ms Rabbit. :thumbsup::D

eapoll11 06-03-2009 11:38 AM

does it have the tilt security as well for the viper? it looks pretty good

bossbunny 06-03-2009 11:39 AM

I edited my last post.
It explains.

bossbunny 06-03-2009 11:43 AM

This is what it says about them asking for your car & year.

"Many of today's vehicles require an interface module to create a seamless digital connection between your vehicle and the Viper system. Select your vehicle below to see if it needs a module. If your vehicle is not listed in the vehicle selection boxes, then please click the Continue button and talk to your installer about possible interface module requirements."

So its not necessary to know they year & car. It just makes it easier. Talk to someone at Radio Shack or Car Toys or your local alarm/tech shop that does instillations. But the system does work with the vehicle. =]]

bossbunny 06-03-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eapoll11 (Post 547434)
does it have the tilt security as well for the viper? it looks pretty good

Yes it does.
If you go to build your own or to your installer people, you can build your own system to meet your needs.

Mr_Draco 06-03-2009 12:01 PM

Since the Camaro will come factory with remote start do we have to get a system that has remote start too or can we still use the factory system?

Reason I ask is because if you have to get an alarm system with remote start then you will have to carry 3 key fobs with you at all times if you want to use any of the extra features as the LCD 2 way fob in the system you linked only comes with 2 buttons (arm and disarm). Plus after looking at a lot of reviews, the Viper remote start system absolutely s*cks.

Personally I was looking at buying this one. http://www.viper.com/P-3302V/Viper+5...ecurity+System

It does not include the crappy Viper remote start system, the LCD key fob has all 5 buttons so you can use all the extra features without having to carry an additional key fob like you would have to with the 5901, comes with the anti-carjacking technology that the 5901 does not have and is $200 cheaper. The downside that I can see is that it doesn't have the 1 mile range that the 5901 has but this range is based on unobstructed view with the car so if you are indoors or buildings obstruct your line of sight, the range is about the same.

PQ 06-03-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

VIPER.

I've had my car for 2 days now. This feature would have allready run the battery down. :sm0:

Mojave 06-03-2009 12:44 PM

OK, putting on my flame suit. I do not know much about alarm systems so please educate me. Is the security the car comes with not good? Seems like the standard security with the car plus On-Star is a good solution?

Would like to understand what I am getting with Viper versus what is already on the car. Sorry in advance for the dumb question.

mfmjos 06-03-2009 12:48 PM

Doesn't it come with at least a base system?

GothamCamaro 06-03-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfmjos (Post 547675)
Doesn't it come with at least a base system?

The Camaro comes with base security system tied in with the Onstar which is good in my opinion. I want the Viper for detecting when my car is being lifted or moved, that's not something the Camaro security system has.

SS 376 06-03-2009 12:53 PM

I'm waiting for someone to make a pistol joke.

Vash 06-03-2009 01:05 PM

I recommend any DEI product. That's Avital, Hornet, Viper, Clifford. Same factory different name. To keep your GM warranty golden you probably want to stick with a DEI certified installer. And 2 Way with pager. Anything without the pager is basically useless for todays smash and grab.

DEI passlock kit, DEI battery backup siren, DEI battery backup for brain, dual zone sensor etc etc.

There are other brands just that's what I have used since the 90's. I used to use there talking module but too many people mess with your car lol. Kids would hit my car with basketball to make it talk.

2SSJIM 06-03-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroHutch (Post 547391)
Trunk Monkey

:laughabove::laughabove::laughabove:

Nova65 06-03-2009 01:09 PM

the keys are laser cut, so I would imagine that the car is hard to steal, plus if you have the onstar they can track it for you.

kdoske 06-03-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroHutch (Post 547391)
Trunk Monkey

lol

kdoske 06-03-2009 04:13 PM

yeah, alarms are dumb anyway. Unless you get a two way alarm. At least those tell you right away if your vehicle is being stolen. The only problem is the distance is crap.

Gentry78 06-03-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

VIPER.

what she said :D

bossbunny 06-03-2009 08:36 PM

The reason I would get a seperate alarm system besides onstar is alot of people know how to disconnect it. And it basically only helps you in an accident or in finding your car if it's been stolen (if the system hasn't disconnected it already).

AlohaBR 06-03-2009 08:40 PM

Ravelco anti-theft device.
Not an alarm, an advanced kill switch.
Once installed, you pull the plug and the car CANNOT be started.

Mr_Draco 06-04-2009 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlohaBR (Post 549339)
Ravelco anti-theft device.
Not an alarm, an advanced kill switch.
Once installed, you pull the plug and the car CANNOT be started.

And what about everything else in and on the car?

Most of the alarm systems made by DEI come with a solenoid kill switch as well.

Gib 06-04-2009 06:24 AM

The Judge - Anti-Carjack System

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can-Am (Post 547688)
I'm waiting for someone to make a pistol joke.

For your anti-carjacking system, go with The Judge!

Nova65 06-04-2009 09:34 AM

who pays attention to a car alarm when they hear them. Most people ignore them going off in the parking lot. If you could make it sound different by playing La Cucarocha or something, that might get their attention, or they might think its a lunch truck going by....

mikeyp15 06-04-2009 09:36 AM

does the camaro come with a security system?

On Order: CGM 2ss/rs auto

H3LLJumper 06-04-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyp15 (Post 550854)
does the camaro come with a security system?

On Order: CGM 2ss/rs auto

:readthethread:

eddie SS 08-14-2009 03:20 PM

I would recommend viper or clifford. I know that they are made by the same company. I just recently read on there website that their alarm systems CAN be hooked up with the factory installed system to work together. So that would eliminate having to carry multiple key fobs. One 2 way transmitter that controls everything in the car, including the factory remote starter. AWESOME...!!!

patriotpa 08-14-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GothamCamaro (Post 547687)
The Camaro comes with base security system tied in with the Onstar which is good in my opinion. I want the Viper for detecting when my car is being lifted or moved, that's not something the Camaro security system has.

Add a tilt sensor. That way you don't have to hack up your wiring harness installing a redundant alarm. Pretty much anything you want can be added to the GM alarm.

Michael_Js 08-14-2009 04:34 PM

The factory alarm won't care if someone breaks your windows, of jacks your car...Viper looks cool!

Gib 08-14-2009 06:24 PM

Anti-Car Jacking System

For anti-car jacking, I highly reccomend the Tarus Judge!

thepenguinmaster 11-26-2012 04:56 PM

Old thread but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdoske (Post 548357)
yeah, alarms are dumb anyway. Unless you get a two way alarm. At least those tell you right away if your vehicle is being stolen. The only problem is the distance is crap.

Yes, a car alarm is stupid.. but it will prevent this from happening:

http://robertlisiecki.com/images/camaro.jpg

Tilt sensors are a nice thing to have. I don't care if mine goes off 5 times a day, its better then walking out to go to work and seeing this...