Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   SAFETY ALERT...BAD VALVE STEMS From China (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7299)

Angrybird 12 09-30-2008 07:39 PM

SAFETY ALERT...BAD VALVE STEMS From China

Yesterday i went out to my El Camino and I had a tire flat, I got out my compressor and started pumping up the tire, when i was done I took the compressor off and the tire started going down again, this time I put the compressor back on and low and behold the Valve stem just fell right off. I was looking at it this evening when i got home and it said Made in China on it, so I did a google search and found out that there is a major problem with these valve stems from china. I told my Brother about it and he had one come apart while he was on the inerstate, and he almost crashed.
here is an alert , I would advise everyone to check their tire valves tems to see if they were made in china, and if they were go directly to the tire store you got them at and demand a USA replacment stem. I am going as soon as i can and do just that myself.

http://www.newsomelaw.com/resources/...-safety-probe/

The_Blur 09-30-2008 07:41 PM

That's why you don't put communist parts on your car. They suck.

Angrybird 12 09-30-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 142425)
That's why you don't put communist parts on your car. They suck.

I didn't put them on the tire dealer did, I had no Idea they were from China until yesterday.

Mr. Wyndham 09-30-2008 08:03 PM

My tire says it's made in Germany...I really hope the valve stems were, too....checking, now.:yikes:

Angrybird 12 09-30-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aston70 (Post 142437)
Which tire dealer?

one here in johnson city,
I am calling them tomorrow about this.

Angrybird 12 09-30-2008 08:54 PM

on further investigation you cannot tell they are the bad ones without dismounting the tire and looking at the bottom of the valvestem, but if you have had your tires replaced sometime since 2006 you may have them.
here is another link
http://jalopnik.com/5045535/chinese-...ced-since-2006

this is very serious because it could happen with no warning on perfectly good tires. mine have less than 5,000 miles on them. It is not a tire problem but a valve stem problem...

rolnslo 10-01-2008 10:05 AM

I got a recall notice from Discount Tire for these valve stems. Still need to find the time to go get that taken care of...

The_Blur 10-01-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyman 08 (Post 142432)
I didn't put them on the tire dealer did, I had no Idea they were from China until yesterday.

I'm sure you didn't buy them. I'm just saying that communists are bad manufacturers because everyone is replaceable in a communist system.

Txturbo 10-01-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolnslo (Post 142940)
I got a recall notice from Discount Tire for these valve stems. Still need to find the time to go get that taken care of...

I ruined a brand new tire because of the chrome valve stems from Discount tire. I was driving on I-10 between Columbus and Schulenburg on a Sunday afternoon when I noticed something was not right on one of the front tires. I pulled over to see what the problem was and the valve stem was leaking. nearest exit was a couple of miles away so I rushed there and found a store that had air. Filled it back up an rushed to the next exit. Filled it again but didn't make it to the Columbus exit before the air was gone. Had the drive about 5 miles with the flat right front tire in the grass until I made it. The gas station was about to close but I convinced the tire guy to stick a new stem in it before closing. As soon as I got back home I replaced the tire because the rim had worn almost all the way through from the inside of the tire. I've also had two others do the same thing. I quit buying them about 2 years ago.

Angrybird 12 10-01-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 142983)
I'm sure you didn't buy them. I'm just saying that communists are bad manufacturers because everyone is replaceable in a communist system.

Good ol’ China strikes again. Killing their own babies with deliberately contaminated milk, and ours with bad valve stems and toxic toys. Who knows what else is out there that will kill us next..

BTW I called my dealer he assured me that theirs were not those stems, but I am still not sure. I am still having them look at the other 3 on my car, I have never had one fail before. and i talked to a friend of mine here and he has had to replace all 4 of his because of that..he was another lucky one that his failed in his driveway.

stermiester 10-01-2008 05:08 PM

in az i have gone thru bout 3 valve stems on my car in less than a year.... i finally got them replaced with metal ones from enkei rims. the dry heat here makes them crack