Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Convertible Cover (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294313)

GrayFox13 05-08-2013 07:22 PM

Convertible Cover

This is my first Vert so I've got a question and I searched and didn't see this posted.

I've got a '13, less than 2K miles. I've noticed when its windy and the top is down the cover has lifted some in the back while driving. I've stopped and had to tuck it back in. It doesn't happen all the time but so far it's happened 3 times.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so how did you fix it? I'm very good about making sure everything is snug into place before I drive off.

Gio Bella 05-08-2013 07:33 PM

Do you mean the tonneau cover is moving around?
The 2013 should have the new design with the bungee cords attached.
Make sure you read the Tonneau cover instructions in the 2013 manual,
that should help with the moving around.
I have the old style 2011 tonneau cover and the clips that came with it would detach at around 35 mph and I almost lost the cover, but a forum member Bodih designed these great clips that work unbelievable at any speed.
Good luck
Gio

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 05-08-2013 07:42 PM

yes the top will flap in the wind if you don't have the Tonneau cover over it..

why?

air gets trapped underneath and from the sides so it parachutes up..

if you are talking about the Tonneau cover lifting.. I don't have the issue, so I suspect you might not have it tucked correctly, did you tuck the front lip in?

GrayFox13 05-08-2013 07:59 PM

Thanks for letting me know the correct name. :-).

Yes I have the bungees attached in the front, it's the back the lifts up some.

I actually triple check everything before I leave to make sure everything is tucked in, tight and not moveable. It was pretty windy today.

I'll go get the book and double check everything - plus I am doing what the dealer showed me.

HDRDTD 05-08-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayFox13 (Post 6520933)
Thanks for letting me know the correct name. :-).

Yes I have the bungees attached in the front, it's the back the lifts up some.

I actually triple check everything before I leave to make sure everything is tucked in, tight and not moveable. It was pretty windy today.

I'll go get the book and double check everything - plus I am doing what the dealer showed me.

Don't forget to tuck the back edge in under the lip of the trunk as well as tuck the front flap behind the rear seat.

GrayFox13 05-08-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDRDTD (Post 6521004)
Don't forget to tuck the back edge in under the lip of the trunk as well as tuck the front flap behind the rear seat.

Yeah I tuck it all under. I make sure nothing is sticking out and everything is smooth. I tell ya I'm not lying when I check it 3 times before getting in car. My fear is driving and looking back to see it flapping in the wind.

Michael Rophone 05-08-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayFox13 (Post 6520933)

Tuck it in all around, especially under the trunk lid.
It's not in the Owner's Guide, but the tonneau boot is only rated for legal speed limits. :lol:

GrayFox13 05-08-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Rophone (Post 6521038)
Tuck it in all around, especially under the trunk lid.
It's not in the Owner's Guide, but the tonneau boot is only rated for legal speed limits. :lol:

There's such a thing as legal speed limits? Crap. :frusty: :bellyroll:

Ok, under the trunk lid??? That little back flap only goes down so far and this girl here is very very sure that it is tucked in straight down that back slot.

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll try it again and see what happens.

I do appreciate all the information y'all have provided. Oh, and I did look in the book and I'm doing it as it says!!! :biggrin:

steveintulsa 05-08-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayFox13 (Post 6521017)
Yeah I tuck it all under. I make sure nothing is sticking out and everything is smooth. I tell ya I'm not lying when I check it 3 times before getting in car. My fear is driving and looking back to see it flapping in the wind.

Try adding a beach towel on top of your top before putting tonneau cover on. It makes it a little more taut and should cut down on the flapping

GrayFox13 05-08-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveintulsa (Post 6521424)
Try adding a beach towel on top of your top before putting tonneau cover on. It makes it a little more taut and should cut down on the flapping

Cool I will try that. Thanks for that tip.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 05-08-2013 11:22 PM

or don't bother with it at all.. I never do unless I am going for a long drive..

personally I think it is pointless to have to get out of my car to put the damn thing on if I have a power top.. WTH is the point of a power top if I still have to get out to assemble a cover?

bad design.. I stopped using it after a week or so..

Oldag 05-09-2013 11:50 AM

Mine works great. No problems at all. Speeds up to 90 mph (90 in an 85 zone, for those who are counting...).

No quarrels with the design.

markas214 05-09-2013 04:23 PM

I've always thought that the cover could use some extra securing. Time for some improvisation from one of our esteemed peers maybe. They could have engineered some flexible bands under the cloth bottom for stiffness.

GrayFox13 05-10-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE (Post 6521717)
or don't bother with it at all.. I never do unless I am going for a long drive..

personally I think it is pointless to have to get out of my car to put the damn thing on if I have a power top.. WTH is the point of a power top if I still have to get out to assemble a cover?

bad design.. I stopped using it after a week or so..

Well I drove to the store and back without the cover - but all I can think about is dirt and stuff flying into the open areas and have a super dirty trunk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldag (Post 6523145)
Mine works great. No problems at all. Speeds up to 90 mph (90 in an 85 zone, for those who are counting...).

No quarrels with the design.

Is that on a normal non windy day? I can say on this particular day it was pretty windy - more than a normal day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markas214 (Post 6524277)
I've always thought that the cover could use some extra securing. Time for some improvisation from one of our esteemed peers maybe. They could have engineered some flexible bands under the cloth bottom for stiffness.

I didn't understand why the front would be secured but not the back area, but what do I know?