Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Victim of Dealership Mistake.. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310083)

sdmaro 07-29-2013 10:53 PM

Victim of Dealership Mistake..

I recently went to rotate my tires on my LS late in February. Initially, I would feel the car shake at highways speeds really bad and I figured it was the balancing not done or incorrect or maybe the tread was worn uneven. Well today I received a flat tire and to my surprise the tread was completely worn on one side! :mad0260::mad0260: I'm thinking the dealership did not balance or align the tires correctly resulting in me having crappy worn tires. Are they going to replace the tires even at 3 months past due. I had absolutely no issues before the rotation and have been going to this dealership since I bought it here at Ron Baker in San Diego. Below are some pictures of the damage, what do I do?

http://i40.tinypic.com/2vdlog6.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2z4hls7.jpg

Goober 07-29-2013 11:06 PM

:pop2:

JCunningham 07-29-2013 11:15 PM

that had nothing to do with the rotation so being 3000 miles over due will not mater. There is something wrong with the tires or alignment.

Zabo 07-29-2013 11:20 PM

Suck it up, find a new Dealer, and buy new tires. They're going to do everything in their power to put it all on you and being 'past due' on scheduled maint. will put the ball squarely in their court. They aren't obligated to give you new tires even if they cause the issue; it's a wear item and not covered under warranty.

1LT-Fan 07-29-2013 11:21 PM

Was having the same issue on my Cruze had them realign the whole thing, However Warranty covers that sort of thing.

KJS 07-29-2013 11:25 PM

Its not really clear in your intial statement if you specifically asked the dealership do an alignment and/or balancing recently? who did the rotation in February?
If the dealership/service department did all the above in February there's a good chance that something happened since then (or they will say you hit a curb or pothole, etc.) otherwise they would have sold you at least a new set of tires back then. And they are certainly not going to pay for a new tire or set. They will say something happened in the 6 months you were driving the car.
If you noticed something not normal after they did the work, you probably should have gone back to them right away.
BUT that being said you should certainly try to get them to do something for you. If you don't ask, its an automatic NO....

sdmaro 07-29-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJS (Post 6836667)
Its not really clear in your intial statement if you specifically asked the dealership do an alignment and/or balancing recently? who did the rotation in February?
If the dealership/service department did all the above in February there's a good chance that something happened since then (or they will say you hit a curb or pothole, etc.) otherwise they would have sold you at least a new set of tires back then. And they are certainly not going to pay for a new tire or set. They will say something happened in the 6 months you were driving the car.
If you noticed something not normal after they did the work, you probably should have gone back to them right away.
BUT that being said you should certainly try to get them to do something for you. If you don't ask, its an automatic NO....

I did the rotation at the dealership. I would have no awareness of the issue since it was on the inside..?

Obzen 07-29-2013 11:53 PM

All they did was rotate the tires right? If so it looks like you either have a really bad alignment or something is wrong with your suspension. If its alignment then they aren't responsible. If its suspension it may be under warranty but highly unlikely they will cover tires. Tires are wear items which aren't covered under warranty.

Obzen 07-29-2013 11:56 PM

Unless its a defect in the tire but that doesn't look like the case.

sdmaro 07-30-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obzen (Post 6836737)
All they did was rotate the tires right? If so it looks like you either have a really bad alignment or something is wrong with your suspension. If its alignment then they aren't responsible. If its suspension it may be under warranty but highly unlikely they will cover tires. Tires are wear items which aren't covered under warranty.

Yes, i figured they would balance and align them as well. I had no problems with tires, suspension, or improper tread prior to the rotation.

hunter1660 07-30-2013 06:10 AM

You had problems before the rotation...you might not have been aware of it.....if you put a new tire on and don't have the alignment fixed....it'll look like that again in no time....it's way outa alignment.....it'll drive like a new car when it's fixed...tire rotation doesn't cause uneven tire wear...it helps prevent it.....

strych9 07-30-2013 08:47 AM

This thread confuses me. I don't see what the dealer did wrong. :iono:

Believe it or not, a tire can wear in that fashion in very few miles if the alignment is grossly off. That's the case here. No other factor will cause a tire to wear like this. You have way too much negative camber, and/or toe-in.

I would check for bent components. A major pothole or curb shot can can things to bend.

firestone_ss 07-30-2013 10:48 AM

you have a camber problem there,dont know how the dealer would be responsible unless they aligned it, normal maint item, align should be checked at least every 6000 or so unless the roads you drive are in pristine condition. JUst make sure after you have thos tires replaced you do your alignment so your not throwing money away. Good luck