Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   TPMS Question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308248)

Mvp_Me 07-19-2013 11:45 PM

TPMS Question

I bought my LS with aftermarket 18" wheels but the last owner used the same OEM tires on the rim. just yesterday i bought a set of RS 20" rims but they didnt come with the tpms. my question is will the sensors on my 18" wheels work with the 20" wheels?? i hope its a yes because i went to autozone and the sensors were $50 each:mad0260: i can only imagine what the dealer would charge.

joeybsyc 07-19-2013 11:57 PM

Yes they should work fine.

Glen e 07-20-2013 12:25 AM

wheels sensors have nothing to do with wheel diameters - you're good...

Mvp_Me 07-20-2013 01:21 AM

Ok perfect! thanks for the imput.:thumb:

SSMickey 07-20-2013 07:45 AM

If you put each sensor back in the same location on the car you removed it from, you shouldn't even have to re-program.

Mvp_Me 07-20-2013 02:43 PM

^ Thanx, i feel a lot better now that i know all of this.

Norm Peterson 07-20-2013 03:19 PM

It's not like the car stops being drivable if the new wheels don't end up with any sensors at all (or if any of them get damaged during the swap). Black tape or something similar takes care of the light.

Norm

SSMickey 07-20-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 6800876)
It's not like the car stops being drivable if the new wheels don't end up with any sensors at all (or if any of them get damaged during the swap). Black tape or something similar takes care of the light.

Norm

While true, something tells me that the OP would like his car to function correctly and is not the type to hide a fault with tape. Come on now, really?

joeybsyc 07-20-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 6800876)

Norm

Black tape on the dash to "take care" of a light? seriously? Some of the advice I see here makes me laugh.

Ohten 07-20-2013 09:55 PM

If you need a set let me know I have 4 OEM sensors still in the unopened factory bags.

Mvp_Me 07-21-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohten (Post 6802051)
If you need a set let me know I have 4 OEM sensors still in the unopened factory bags.

Alright thanks man. i wont have time to put on the wheels until next week because i have so much things going on but if i need new ones ill send you a PM for sure.
:thumbup:

Norm Peterson 07-21-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSMickey (Post 6802007)
While true, something tells me that the OP would like his car to function correctly and is not the type to hide a fault with tape. Come on now, really?

We never needed this system before, so why do we need to have it now?

Are people that much less observant these days? That much less willing to keep track of their car's condition? And some of those who are the most insistent on retaining it still want to call themselves "car enthusiasts"?

We've got it mainly because of the Ford Explorer/Firestone mess a few years back, and partly because of the introduction of run-flat tires. Do either of those situations apply here? Didn't think so.

Of course it is still up to the OP to make his choice. I was just giving him one more option. You don't have to agree with it, just like I wouldn't ever agree to pay $50 (or whatever) x 4 the next time I do a new set of wheels & tires. 45 years driving without TPMS at all out of 50, and still having two cars that don't have it tells me that you can get away without this system just fine in virtually all "muscle car" cases (SUV's and run-flats I'll give you).

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeybsyc (Post 6802014)
Black tape on the dash to "take care" of a light? seriously? Some of the advice I see here makes me laugh.

Actually, it's a fairly common way of eliminating that needless distraction. Removing the TPMS lamp itself or somehow causing it to not work at all actually are illegal (FMVSS something or other). Wait a few years, when the little batteries in the sensors die and you get the dashboard lamp lit even when you know for absolute fact that the tires are all properly inflated. Then tell me you'd rather spend a lot of money than just let the light burn out of sight.

Norm

joeybsyc 07-21-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 6802975)
We never needed this system before, so why do we need to have it now?

Are people that much less observant these days? That much less willing to keep track of their car's condition? And some of those who are the most insistent on retaining it still want to call themselves "car enthusiasts"?

We've got it mainly because of the Ford Explorer/Firestone mess a few years back, and partly because of the introduction of run-flat tires. Do either of those situations apply here? Didn't think so.

Of course it is still up to the OP to make his choice. I was just giving him one more option. You don't have to agree with it, just like I wouldn't ever agree to pay $50 (or whatever) x 4 the next time I do a new set of wheels & tires.

Actually, it's a fairly common way of eliminating that needless distraction. Removing the TPMS lamp itself or somehow causing it to not work at all actually are illegal (FMVSS something or other). Wait a few years, when the little batteries in the sensors die and you get the dashboard lamp lit even when you know for absolute fact that the tires are all properly inflated. Then tell me you'd rather spend a lot of money than just let the light burn out of sight.

Norm

No, actually....you CAN'T just put black tape over the light like it was an '85 Citation... even if you did think that would be an acceptable "fix". In addition to the illuminated light on the dash, the Driver Information Center will chime and flash a message every few minutes, informing the driver that there is a problem with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Unless maybe the OP could just tape off the entire dashboard and drive by feel?:bonk:

Norm Peterson 07-21-2013 09:29 AM

You're telling me you can't 'reset' the DIC somehow? I thought there was a 'set/clear' button, know I've seen it in the Owner Manuals.

If you can't, that's a bit of a rip, as I think the Mustang used to chime and set a message just once if you went more than about 20 miles from the stack of tires that did have the sensors, and the Subie has never done either of those things (just the light). Then again, the situation here is from the same folks who don't provide a means of turning the HSA off as OE, so maybe I need to keep in mind yet another exception for "over-protectiveness".

Norm