Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - Southwest (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New Mexico, window tint law (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53367)

rm1960 11-22-2009 09:53 PM

New Mexico, window tint law

Hi, can someone tell me what the law is in New Mexico regarding the percentage allowed for window tinting? I know in some states you can't tint the driver side window at all. Thanks.:chevy:

jnewberr2ssrs 11-22-2009 10:09 PM

To my knowledge, it's 20% - but it also depends on whether it's a passenger car or SUV

I went with 20% (medium tint)

No matter what you end up going with, make sure it's non metallic due to the fact that the rear defroster also serves as the antenna and a metallic tint will interfere with that.

Maro10SS 11-23-2009 07:45 AM

Believe it's 20%

ZZTOM 11-23-2009 08:02 AM

20% it is.

Ocikat 07-11-2010 10:22 PM

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW MEXICO?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New Mexico, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window. • WindshieldNon-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. • Front Side WindowsMust allow more than 20% of light in. • Back Side WindowsMust allow more than 20% of light in. • Rear WindowMust allow more than 20% of light in. HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NEW MEXICO?
Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
• Front Side WindowsNo reference to reflectivity in the current law. • Back Side WindowsNo reference to reflectivity in the current law. OTHER NEW MEXICO RULES AND REGULATIONS• Restricted ColorsNo colors of tint are explicitly banned. • Side MirrorsDual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted. • Certificate RequirementsManufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film. • Sticker RequirementsThe sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on the driver’s side window. • Medical ExemptionState allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 07-11-2010 11:09 PM

Tint that whole SOB all the way around. Front window too. LMAO.

Everyone tints the crap outta cars around here. I've had 5% and all that crap. It's cool if you never drive in the dark.

I like to see in my car and out of it efficiently. 20% all the way around is about perfect.

-Ivan

BTW....Bryan, hire a damn Tint and Clear Bra guy so we can start getting the HOOK UP!!!

Racer-X 07-12-2010 12:45 AM

I should have some info on that in a week or so.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 07-12-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAS (Post 2086555)
I should have some info on that in a week or so.

Bout time....:D

Lemme know if you need somebody to supply you with the Clear Bra materials.

;)

I have kits for LT's and SS cars. With and Without door trim.

WOOT!
Ivan