Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Thermostat 160 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242626)

BigL11 08-08-2012 01:48 PM

Thermostat 160

What does everyone think about them? Would it be worth it if I have a TVS 2300 on my car?

bmbbl be 08-08-2012 02:06 PM

livernois did my maggie set-up,,,and they put one in.....on the 95 degree days my car runs at 195 all day

JANNETTYRACING 08-08-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbbl be (Post 5411510)
livernois did my maggie set-up,,,and they put one in.....on the 95 degree days my car runs at 195 all day

We can achieve the same results with a factory 186 stat, it is in the Fan settings.

Radiator and fan settings set top Temp, Stat Sets Min Temp.

A lower stat is not recommended in this car for anything other than Racing, as it takes longer to get up to Min Optimum Temp which is set by the Factory engineers at 186.

The faster you can get up to 186 the less wear in your engine.

It is also a little known fact that Oil Additives do not become active until 180 degrees Oil Temp.

Ted.

MA2010SS 08-08-2012 04:34 PM

I have one with my car and in the summer months it's running around 192 ~ 196deg range, I also have the fans turning on a lot sooner than stock settings, winter/colder months it will run around 178 ~ 184deg range

LSR SAL 08-08-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING (Post 5411553)
We can achieve the same results with a factory 186 stat, it is in the Fan settings.

A lower stat is not recommended in this car for anything other than Racing, as it takes longer to get up to Min Optimum Temp which is set by the Factory engineers at 186.

It is also a little known fact that Oil Additives do not become active until 180 degrees Oil Temp.

Ted.

This man is correct!

camslambam 08-08-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbbl be (Post 5411510)

I got factory stat and down here it's always 90+. Car runs 190-195 all day long in 90-100F @80-90% humidity. (I live a block from the ocean).

Higgs Boson 08-08-2012 10:26 PM

ok i have to chime in so take it for what it is worth. I have always thought the same as Ted regarding stats. for the hell of it, I threw a 160 in my camaro on Monday.

before it, I had my fans tuned to come one, one at 192/off at 190 and the second on at 200 and off at 198. you cannot program the fans to come on lower than 190 without a custom operating system. my car would run about 192-196 and right now temps are 104 or so with 50-60% humidity.

with the 160 in, the hottest I have seen so far, even in 104 temps, is 189 unless I am sitting at a light or in traffic it gets to low 190s. it gets to 185-190 just as fast as before. probably because it is hot as balls outside.... what this means is that my fans no longer run all the time. the only time a fan turns on is when I am sitting for an extended period of time. I haven't needed the second fan yet at all.

now, come winter time, we will see if I freeze my nuts off and never regain feeling before I reach my destination or if it the heater works ok....will update at that time. however, it doesn't get outrageously cold here nor does it stay retarded cold for very long at a time, usually it will get back to the 60s or so before cooling off again.

the reason for this observation is because thermostats do not click open and click closed. they open and close gradually. the 160 just begins to open sooner and is open more at 190 than the stock thermostat. I thought it was interesting that my car heated right up and then just doesn't really get into the 190s even when it's very very hot outside.

ymmv.

infernometallicSS 08-08-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING (Post 5411553)

Ted.

This is so true. My tuner advised against doing it also. I was driving around in traffic today in Phoenix and my coolant temp was 196 with the stock t-stat. The ambient temp was 116. My fans are set a bit lower though. As Ted says "it's all in the tune"

Pro Stock John 08-08-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5414104)
before it, I had my fans tuned to come one, one at 192/off at 190 and the second on at 200 and off at 198. you cannot program the fans to come on lower than 190 without a custom operating system. my car would run about 192-196 and right now temps are 104 or so with 50-60% humidity.

with the 160 in, the hottest I have seen so far, even in 104 temps, is 189 unless I am sitting at a light or in traffic it gets to low 190s. it gets to 185-190 just as fast as before. probably because it is hot as balls outside.... what this means is that my fans no longer run all the time. the only time a fan turns on is when I am sitting for an extended period of time. I haven't needed the second fan yet at all.

Interesting. I have custom programming now and I think the lowest I've seen while sitting in the staging lanes at the track is 194F. And my fans come on and off all the time. I'll have to keep this info in mind for the future.

Higgs Boson 08-09-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 5414300)
Interesting. I have custom programming now and I think the lowest I've seen while sitting in the staging lanes at the track is 194F. And my fans come on and off all the time. I'll have to keep this info in mind for the future.

remember, custom operating system is different than a custom tune. it costs even more to change the OS completely, and it can't be done on every car. for example, there is not one available yet for my car, the specific OS from the factory in my 2012 SS must be re-engineered. there are more than one factory OS in the E38s or any other ECM, per model year. so it can take a while to get a custom OS, and you have to request it. so it is best to check if it is available and then "order it" so to speak w/HPtuners or whoever you use.

if you are sitting in the staging lanes, turn car off, hood up and push it! this is where an electric water pump or manual control of your fans is great. you can turn them on while the engine is off. this will help your ECTs but also your IATs.

JANNETTYRACING 08-09-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5414104)
ok i have to chime in so take it for what it is worth. I have always thought the same as Ted regarding stats. for the hell of it, I threw a 160 in my camaro on Monday.

now, come winter time, we will see if I freeze my nuts off and never regain feeling before I reach my destination or if it the heater works ok....will update at that time. however, it doesn't get outrageously cold here nor does it stay retarded cold for very long at a time, usually it will get back to the 60s or so before cooling off again.

the reason for this observation is because thermostats do not click open and click closed. they open and close gradually. the 160 just begins to open sooner and is open more at 190 than the stock thermostat. I thought it was interesting that my car heated right up and then just doesn't really get into the 190s even when it's very very hot outside.

ymmv.

I see you mentioned separate fan settings for each this would not be a Gen5 ECM

Which means the stock stat was probably a 192 in your car, Correct me If I am wrong.

The Gen5s all have 186 Stats Stock

Ted.

JLE58 08-09-2012 11:09 AM

Yeah I believe the corvette can run separate fan setting but not the Camaro correct?

Higgs Boson 08-09-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING (Post 5416171)
I see you mentioned separate fan settings for each this would not be a Gen5 ECM

Which means the stock stat was probably a 192 in your car, Correct me If I am wrong.

The Gen5s all have 186 Stats Stock

Ted.

Well, I THINK my car is a Gen5 Camaro. lol...

I'll post a pic give me a min.

Higgs Boson 08-09-2012 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright, here is a screenshot. This is modified. Here is what it means.

Fan 1 comes on at "50"
Fan 2 comes on at "90"

Fan 1 turns off at "25"
Fan 2 turns off at "50"

Therefore

Fan 1 turns on at 196 and off at ~193
Fan 2 turns on at ~202 and off at 196

If my car does not see 190 unless I am sitting still, that means my fans are not On at all unless I am sitting still, and even then it is only Fan 1.

Now, if you are saying the Gen5 turns both fans on and off at the same time (meaning you are not saying the controls are not there, they clearly are) then that's fine, but moot, since my point is not about the fans, it's about the thermostat reducing ECTs at least 10 degrees. I can't tell unless I had programmed the fans to stay off until 230 and see where the temps go with the stock stat with no fans. The fans were always working with the stock stat installed helping to keep the car in the mid 190s. Now it stays in the 180s without the fans. I would consider this a meaningful difference.

I will also add that with a custom operating system, the fan vs ect table is rescaled to 160 degrees which means you can get those fans on even before 192! Cool.