Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Anyone notice your 2010 car bogs out in heavy rain? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439948)

Wizzer 02-11-2016 10:37 AM

Anyone notice your 2010 car bogs out in heavy rain?

I have been noticing the last year or so when it rains heavily the car will bog to the point of stalling when in highway use. I had to limp over to the side of the road during a heavy rain storm.

I popped the hood and looked around but nothing was too obvious.

I originally thought the hydro shield on my Injen CAI was faulty and I was sucking in water.

Funny enough when I restarted the car on the side of the road it worked fine 5 minutes later. Ran perfect and when I drove out of the rain storm all was well. Never does it on dry days.

No codes pop it just stalls out.

Hydro shield looks good. No holes and its in good shape.

All I can think is water is getting into a electrical plug in or something.

Anyone have or solve this issue?

Thanks

Amistad2011 02-12-2016 04:52 PM

I instantly think traction control, just a simple guess.

Wizzer 02-12-2016 08:17 PM

Hmmm. That's very interesting. But that would be dangerous. To have a car bog to the point of having to slow down and then turn it off to get it to reset. I'll keep your idea in mind but I am not sure.

Wizzer 02-13-2016 02:48 PM

Yeah I am still leaning towards that. Thx for your input.

Black Knight 02-15-2016 03:01 PM

I think the hydro seal only can take so much . I stay at low rpm during the rain to avoid sucking in air .

Nutbutt 02-16-2016 03:32 PM

This has happened twice to me. It seems like the water is blocking the sock allowing proper air to be supplied to the engine. The engine is stalled on lack of air for combustion. I made sure the sock was good and not leaking into the intake. From the obd data on fuel trims it looks like the engine tried to adjust.

Thor142 02-16-2016 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzer (Post 8897016)
All I can think is water is getting into a electrical plug in or something.

Anyone have or solve this issue?

Thanks

Not on a Camaro but the exact same thing on my bike. Turned out to be a bad electrical connection. If it's electrical. It's a bear to chase down.

Wizzer 02-16-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutbutt (Post 8907724)
This has happened twice to me. It seems like the water is blocking the sock allowing proper air to be supplied to the engine. The engine is stalled on lack of air for combustion. I made sure the sock was good and not leaking into the intake. From the obd data on fuel trims it looks like the engine tried to adjust.

That sounds very likely. All failures were at highway speed and I remember that I got a huge wave of water from a semi that slapped at my windshield and I hit the gas to get around him and it bogged. I almost got hit from behind as I slowed down rapidly by the engine failure.

I can see the water standing on the hydro shield and not being able to suck enough in for combustion.

Thanks for that input.

I guess that's what happens when you mod a car from the original intent.

I will keep the rpms low in the slow lane next rain storm and I will see if I can get through it.

rwi2112 02-17-2016 02:22 AM

LOL

My Baby has 17k miles. I don't drive it in the rain :thumbsup: Good Luck though :lol:

Wizzer 02-18-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwi2112 (Post 8908798)
My Baby has 17k miles. I don't drive it in the rain :thumbsup: Good Luck though :lol:

I hope to get to that stage of my life someday.

It not yet. lol

rwi2112 02-19-2016 01:01 AM

My new Silverado is black so I really don't like to take it out. Thank goodness for the wifes Fusion ;-)

heRS 02-22-2016 12:52 PM

I drive mine in the rain and it's never caused me a problem on a 50 mile round trip commute however I do have a mazda pickup that would stall out and run like hell when it snowed a wet slushy snow. This problem puzzled me and my mechanical type friends for a few winters but it went away when I replaced the distributor last summer. Therefore I am in agreement that it could be an electrical problem.

Wizzer 02-23-2016 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok it pooed out on me again but I was running my app and had the obd dongle beaming live stats to my phone that was mounted on the dash.

I attached the picture of the codes it popped. Ignore the top one... that's a known issue and I am waiting to get that fixed.

I was driving in rain today from Alabama to Florida and I purposely tried to keep the rpms low on cruise control in the slow lane.

The car started to go up the hill and down shifted. bogged out like crazy. The codes say it miss-fired. Only fix is to make sure nobody is behind you. Put it in neutral. Turn it off for 2 seconds and turn it on. Fixed the issue then it bogged again. Slowed down more and re started it. Milked it up the hill and did about 60 till the road dried. Once the rain stopped it ran perfect. Passed perfect. All the power was back.

I think when it started to suck in air on the downshift the hydro-shield on the Ingen was doing its job and it couldn't flow the air into the engine and caused a misfire. The water must have restricted the airflow on the top of the shield. Good news the shield works.

The road was flooded and I actually was trying to baby it driving on the higher parts of the road.

Thoughts?