Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Farewell 296 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39713)

Number 3 08-28-2009 04:09 PM

Farewell 296

1 Attachment(s)
As Featured on the Homepage

Well on Monday at 1:00 PM EST, I will drive 296 for the last time. I received the phone call this week from the staff that manages our QRD Fleet, formerly known as PEP or Product Evaluation Program. The young lady said she wanted to schedule my next vehicle exchange. She was a bit taken back at first when I said 2010. I asked her if her file showed what I was driving now. When she noticed it was a 2010 Camaro, she then understood what I meant.

I am probably not capable of writing how much I have come to love this car, and how sad, even though I knew the time would come, that I have to return this car.

Many of you know my story that started with Number 3, a simple but lovely 1LT with the Connectivity Package and Sunroof. Mrs. Number 3 and I drove that car to California over Christmas to put huge miles on the Captured Test Fleet (CTF) to prepare the cars for ship to commerce (you). I drove that car and loved it and documented it extensively here on Camaro5.

In March, Mrs. Number 3 was assigned 296 as her PEP car. In April, she was let go from GM at about the same time as the wheels were stolen off of Number 3. Long story short, due to the length of time to repair Number 3, the powers that be (and apparently they also like me) 296 was reassigned to my care.

296 is a VR 2SS, LS3 with Sunroof. I have managed to get over 11,000 miles on this car. We just finished a trip to South Carolina in that car, again fully documented here on Camaro5.

This car, along with Number 3, has enabled me to meet many of you on line and in person. Through these cars, I have been able to provide you a taste of what was to come well before the Camaros were available to you. My latest signature is of me taking photos of 296 on a trip to Saugatuk Michigan earlier this year. And I guess I think this is what I tried my best to do, provide photos to satisfy your curiosity and passion before you could actually drive your own new Camaros. I have files full of pictures of floor mats, switches, wiring, glove boxes, reclined seats not to mention hundreds of other pictures of the car. I take a lot of pictures, and I can assure you I have more memory devoted to Camaro photos than all of the other car photos combined. And I have reviewed both cars for you, in detail and as honestly as I could.

So this car has grown on me. I love this car more than any car I have driven. Period. Yes, Corvettes are awesome. Yes the G8 GXP and CTS-Vs are fabulous sedans. But all in, the Camaro just seems to suit me. It fits me just like that favorite pair of jeans. It isn’t a perfect car. Not by a long shot....................but I have found it is perfect for me.

Yes there are faster, lighter and better handling cars. But not many. And not for the price of a Camaro. And none have the balance of style, and looks that can be so beautiful and yet so menacing and purposeful at the same time. You see it and you immediately know what this car is about. In a flash there is history, passion and performance.

So as the CTF runs down, I wish to say farewell to a car that has not just been like a friend, but that has also allowed to make new friends.

Thank you 296. I will miss you very much.

2010 2-Tone 08-28-2009 04:13 PM

:clap::clap:

thecamaroguy 08-28-2009 04:14 PM

Sad day indeed.

KILLER74Z28 08-28-2009 04:15 PM

It will ba a sad day Monday... :cry:

Farewell good friend, farewell… :(

GTAwheelman 08-28-2009 04:15 PM

so you going to buy one now?

ljustin293 08-28-2009 04:15 PM

:cry:

I really hate to see this!!!

Thanks for all that you have helped us out with here on the boards!!!!!

Top Thrill 08-28-2009 04:17 PM

:cry:

I am very sorry for you.

Baughman 08-28-2009 04:18 PM

Thank you! And we will miss 296. Do you plan on possibly purchasing one?

ShnOmac 08-28-2009 04:18 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :drinking:

Hopefully whatever you get next will at least dull the pain a little... :thumbsup:

Thank you for all the time and devotion you have put into this car we all love so much. Thank you for sharing everything with us here on Camaro5!

Number "Z"
You are the man!

LadyinBlue 08-28-2009 04:19 PM

But all in, the Camaro just seems to suit me. It fits me just like that favorite pair of jeans. It isn’t a perfect car. Not by a long shot....................but I have found it is perfect for me.

Perfectly stated, Number 3.

Every time I see my car I think, "!wow!"
Every time I get in my car I think," !wow!"
Every time I drive my car I think, "!wow!"

Thank you so much for everything you've done for this community of Camaro enthusiasts. We appreciate it more than we could ever say. :clap:

Number 3 08-28-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAwheelman (Post 856956)
so you going to buy one now?

Mrs. Number 3 and I are very seriously considering it. Have to clear a couple of motorcycles out of the garage to make room. And make sure a we don't want to wait for the convertible. And decide on what color. Jeez there's like 3 more threads right there.

Know anyone looking for a Ducati 916 or BMW K1200GT? LOL

cab2g 08-28-2009 04:22 PM

sorry, but I'm a n00b, what's your job? You get to test new cars for several months? That's fun!

But sorry you have to leave the car you have grown to love. You should buy one just so you can take it out while not evaluating other cars :)

speedster 08-28-2009 04:22 PM

Hey Number 3 -

Thanks for sharing all of your adventures with 296. There were many times while we we waiting for our cars to get out of Area 51 that your stories were read and we kept the faith. You and Mrs. Number 3 went beyond the norm and made it a point to show prospective Camaro owners what it was like to live the Camaro lifestyle before they could. You gave rides, you answered questions. People were able to take pictures and video.. We'll all miss you with 296, but are sure that you will end up with another great ride soon.

Here's to you sharing 296 with us. :happy0180:

len56 08-28-2009 04:22 PM

awww, hope the next car is even better !

+where the hell can I get your job? (car test driver/evaluator??)