Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Legality of window tint. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58725)

jebckr 12-31-2009 12:42 PM

Legality of window tint.

Ok, the legal limit in Alabama is 35% tint. I really want around 25% tint to match my black camaro. I know that this is "illegal", but I'm wondering how illegal. This is to say, what kind of law is this? Is it strictly enforced or something noone has ever been ticketed for. Any knowledge on the subject would be helpful, thanks.

Downwithopp 12-31-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebckr (Post 1335444)
Ok, the legal limit in Alabama is 35% tint. I really want around 25% tint to match my black camaro. I know that this is "illegal", but I'm wondering how illegal. This is to say, what kind of law is this? Is it strictly enforced or something noone has ever been ticketed for. Any knowledge on the subject would be helpful, thanks.

I'de be willing to bet it has a lot to do with where you live, and what kind of police force you have around you.

I live in a boring town north of San Francisco where 4-5 officers check for speeding people on the side of main roads and will ticket you for going 6 mph over.

Go down the road into San Fran and they don't even take notice of cars going 5-10 over the limit. So I doubt a dark tint would be ticketed either.

After that totally unhelpful few lines of text I wrote I'de personally do the 35% just incase one day a cop is having a bad day and will write you up for anything.

Asylum 12-31-2009 01:46 PM

Your legal limit is 35% and you want 25% tint.
That would make it 10% illegal.

Whats the difference between .1% illegal and 10% illegal? Nothing - Its illegal, otherwise known as 'against the law'. So, ask yourself, do you want to be hassled? Do you want to give them an excuse to stop you? Do you want the risk of being told to fix it or ticket? That's you're decision.

non smartass comment:
You're getting a tint that is deemed illegal, thus you're going to get stopped. When? Who knows. How Often? Not sure.

If you want the illegal tint, be prepared for possible repercussions.

Where I'm from the fact your tint is lower than the legal limit just gave me reasonable grounds to stop you for no other reason what so ever.

p.s., My tints are illegal, 15% all around on a black camaro. Ive yet to be stopped want to know why? I have my windows down while I drive all the time. If I see a red and white in the area and my windows are up, down they come.

Point is > Do what you want, thats what most people end up doing in the end. Just remember, You're asking how illegal is illegal....

Have fun, Play Safe

Genious 12-31-2009 01:58 PM

i have personally never had a vehicle with anything but 20%, and being in the army i have lived and had to work in alot of places, so if you are willing to do it, here is all the help i can give. There are 2 or 3 east coast states where tint at 20% is legal, if your tags are are from one of those states the state you are in has to treat you according to the laws of the state your car is registered in. Being military i can live in any state with tags from any other without haveing to switch, dont know if this helps you any but thats all i have.

jebckr 12-31-2009 02:07 PM

Genious, have you ever been stopped for your tint before? Assuming an officer wouldn't know your states laws.

Genious 12-31-2009 03:23 PM

I have been stopped in maryland, d.c, and n.c for my tint. but i had florida tags so they wanted to ticket me, but i reminded them that i have out of state plates. they dont like it but they have to let you go

Mr CLuTcH 12-31-2009 07:36 PM

My tint is illigal,.....I have 5% limo! Why? Because that's what I WANT on my car and I don't give a damn. This is my lil' philosophy, do what you want, just don't harm others in the process. I like knowing people outside my car can't see in my car. I'm very aware of my surroundings, I live in New Orleans, I need to be, so whenever I know a cop is going to pull next to me, I either 1.slow up and let someone get ahead of me so HE can be next to the next or 2. put both windows down and low my music. Doing these two things has caused me to never be hassled by a cop for my tint. When I first got the tint done I couldn't put the windows down for 3 days or so until the tint fully sets in, so I was riding on faith. lol. Even then, nothing happened. It was funny really, a sheriff pulled next to me in his Expedition, he saw my tint, he didn't care, he actually leaned over looking into my windows and then gave me a thumbs up and then ran the red light himself. I've eased up, MANY cops seen my tint, and I dunno what it is, but they just don't care, I'm not harming anyone. And most importantly, this is the trick dude, listen,....no one else might agree, but I'm telling you, IT WORKS, I've spoken to many cops and they've told me, if you don't want to be hassled by cops for your tint which actually adds a more sexy/mysterious appearance to you car, keep your car SO CLEAN-that if a cop ever pulls you over besides writing you up for a ticket all he can say is "GOD DAAAMNNN! That $hit is clean!". And because it looks SO GOOD,........THAT GOOD, he'll let you off.

The words of one cop who saw my tint at a red light on a bright sunny day "lol don't worry man I'm not gonna pull you over, that looks DAMN GOOD. Looks like it came right from the showroom floor! You just keep taking care of that thing!It's 5th gen".

That's what he said,.....so I listen to him. lol. I clean it everyday and make sure the tires look wet black! Anyway, you're either gonna play by the law and sometimes get screwed in the process or sometimes your gonna slightly bend the law to suit your own needs. For instance I did 110 mph today on my way to work, and surprise surprise, I made it on time. But if I had driven the speed limit,.......60 I definitely would have been late. So like I said, if you want the tint, and that's really really what you want,.....who gives a **** grow some balls and get the tint. Oh,...can't forget, keep 1,000 in a stash "just incase" you were to actually get a ticket one day, tickets here for limo run about 4 to 500 dollars, so I can survive 2 tickets; but it's not like your going to get stopped everyday, just circumstantially, like when a cop just so happens to pull next to you at a light, not on the interstate. Even if a cop told me "ticket or take the tint off".....sorry it looks too damn good, and it makes me very good give me the ticket I got a G.

Heres a pic of mine.........
Before:http://i45.tinypic.com/2a0j703.jpg

AFTER:http://i47.tinypic.com/2hykmee.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2aj4cw5.jpg

Alain 01-01-2010 08:04 PM

get the tint and don't drive like a retard when there are cops around and you'll be fine !!!

take it from me.

SuperTrooper 01-01-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genious (Post 1335950)
I have been stopped in maryland, d.c, and n.c for my tint. but i had florida tags so they wanted to ticket me, but i reminded them that i have out of state plates. they dont like it but they have to let you go

I have charged MANY people for violating the tint laws from the state they live in while driving in NC. Our tint law allows us to write them under our law if they are lower than the allowed light transmittance for their state. I just have a excel document on my laptop in my patrol car to look up each states law to know what it is before I stop them.

TaylorRyanSS 01-01-2010 10:10 PM

Just tint them how you want. If the cop is an douche then he is gonna give you a ticket because he is probably bored and has nothing else to do. I have never been pulled over for tint and I live in so cal, which they are super strict on everything here lol