Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Interior Trim Kit - Another Rip Off In the Great White North (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59302)

Avalnch 01-05-2010 12:48 AM

Interior Trim Kit - Another Rip Off In the Great White North

OK Canuckle Heads. Once again we get shafted by our "friendly" Canadian dealers. I've been eyeing this part for some time at www.gmpartsdirect.com. Go to their website and punch 92241174 in their search.

I'm sure you've all seen it before, but it's always been "unavailable"...until now that is. I received an email from them that this part is now in stock and at their listed, discounted price.

So, I figured what the hell, let's try a local dealer. I called one up and got their parts desk to look up the number. Loh and behold, they have it in their system and can get one in from "the product source" which means which ever company in the US that produces it. "Great", I said, "how much?".

Wait for it......
C$1114!!!! (and change).

What the hell is wrong with Canadian dealers and their parts dept. This item is produced in the US, how much bloody shipping and duty do they pay to get it up here? Have they looked at the exchange rate lately? I'm just completely fed up with our Canadian dealers and their price gouging! I refused to buy all "dealer" added GM accessories from them. Go online and check out the stoopid prices they ask for at the www.gm.ca site and compare them to www.gmpartsdirect.com.

When I ordered the Camaro, the salesman asked why I didn't get the accessories too (coloured engine cover, car cover, cargo net, etc). I told him to give me a discount and he just looked at me like I was speaking Klingon. I told him about the US parts online retailers and he just shrugged his shoulders and blew it off like he was sarcastically wishing me good luck trying to buy that stuff down there.

Makes me madder than hell!!:mad0259:

camarorick 01-05-2010 07:50 AM

The sad part is that someone will pay this....

I had to replace my opti-spark on my LT1 a few years back..... $1100.00 in Canada, and $327 in the U.S. even with duties / shipping / exchange ( which was 24% at the time ), it was still less than half of the Canadian price.

Another example.... I pulled a door panel off the SS to try the ABL extension on the door, and broke several clips. I go over to the dealer, and I'm quoted $10 each.... EACH ( $10 for a little piece of plastic, W.T.F. !!!! ).... Well, I buy them, 'cause I figure new car, and I have no choice..... I started checking online, and find that these clips are used on other GM vehicles, and that I could get a box of 15 pieces for $10..... Brought back the clips to the dealer, told them I bought online for pennies each..... The parts guy smiled, and told me he also buys from the states :sm0:

Send an E-mail, or call Dave @ Newman ( CamaroScotty ) for the trim pieces.... He's Canadian friendly :thumbup:

B.T.W, here are the part numbers for those clips in case anyone needs them. There are two different clips for the door.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EOIBSA:CA:1123

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EOIBSA:CA:1123

djsnoflake 01-05-2010 11:45 AM

Ebay or Camaro Scotty's parts guy are your friends when you are Canadian and looking for car parts

drksthr 01-05-2010 01:10 PM

have you considered shipping it to a UPS store at the border and picking it up there and bringing it over?

CDN SS 01-05-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drksthr (Post 1350393)
have you considered shipping it to a UPS store at the border and picking it up there and bringing it over?

Done this many times, works like a charm. :thumbup:

coolman 01-05-2010 01:26 PM

at least you have cheap drugs.

RickRay 01-05-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian GP (Post 1350449)
Done this many times, works like a charm. :thumbup:

I do it through Freeport Forwarding in Champlain, NY,. 45 Minutes from Montreal. Save a bundle especially when there is free shipping involved.

2010victoryredss_ron 01-05-2010 05:03 PM

drugs for parts,, sounds good....lol

THUMPER20X 01-05-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolman (Post 1350465)
at least you have cheap drugs.

Drugs are partially subsidized through healthcare. Believe me its paid for in the taxes. And not all, a friend of the family has some bad spinal cancer. He takes pills 20 days on and 10 off. Each pill is.......................300dollars. $6000.00 a month. no BS.

Indpowr 01-05-2010 06:08 PM

We sell to Canada... :)

You just have to pay duites and taxes...

djsnoflake 01-06-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indpowr (Post 1351438)
We sell to Canada... :)

You just have to pay duites and taxes...

I thought you didn't get charged duty on car parts due to the NAFTA

Octaneman 01-06-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsnoflake (Post 1352871)

You should NOT have to pay duties on items made in USA, Mexico and other free trading pardners.:)

The vendor needs to supply Nafta paperwork, or at minimum a low value nafta they just sign.

If they do not, the freight companies like UPS, FEDEX, etc will automatically charge you the duty as they are not going to do your paperwork for you, :mad0260:

If anyone needs a low value NAFTA certicate, good for up to 1600.00 I believe, you should be able to get it of Canada's Nafta website, or PM me with a fax number and I can forward you a blank certificate.

We try to be competiive on most parts, but in some cases you can't beat some of the deals out there, you might as well put the change in your pocket:thumbup:

LOWDOWN 01-06-2010 09:59 AM

Be VERY careful who you order from, and get a FIRM quote on shipping/handling charges to your intended destination. Some companies offer lowlow price$...and gouge the hell outta ya with excessive shipping/handling charges...

GM Canada MSRP dealer prices are set by GM Canada. Ask your local dealer, through your salesperson or other contact, for "trade" pricing. They just might...

THUMPER20X 01-06-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsnoflake (Post 1352871)

LOL Thats for corporations. As standard in canada if you are an individual you get fisted, to take up the financial slack that companies have free trade.