Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Trade my zl1 for a c7 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324637)

11B250 12-02-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08vette (Post 7164886)
the Zl1 is awesome but to 99% of the population it is just a camaro, which isn't a bad thing, but I am sure Zl1 owners dont want to hear that. their is something iconic about a corvette

That's very true, and it's one of the hardest reasons I'm having a hard time letting go of my corvette even though it's 10 years old.

to most people, it's a camaro. but I drive a corvette.

Their opinions can kiss my butt, but it's still there and it annoys me :mad2: lol

but then again like others have mentioned, anyone who knows about cars will know there is something special about this camaro. and the ones that don't understand cars need not apply I suppose.

that being said I have seen over 10 C7s in my area already. I have not seen a single ZL1 since they came out, and I look for these cars. Talk about unique.

as far as being special in 25 years.... well... I don't plan on owning it for more than 8 years, so it doesn't apply to me. imagine the camaro in 8 years from today. what kind of power and other capabilities it will have!

Happy_Dan 12-02-2013 07:10 AM

One other thing from my experience. I hat to stereotype and I have several good Corvette friends, but the Camaro crowd is a much more humble and warm crowd at events. They don't sit at their own cars, they all get together somewhere. At least the one's I hang with.

I loved my Z06's and they felt like they were much more neutral but as I said, I haven't had the ZL1 to a track yet, so I am not sure. But the Camaro people are the best!

08vette 12-04-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy_Dan (Post 7229718)
One other thing from my experience. I hat to stereotype and I have several good Corvette friends, but the Camaro crowd is a much more humble and warm crowd at events. They don't sit at their own cars, they all get together somewhere. At least the one's I hang with.

I loved my Z06's and they felt like they were much more neutral but as I said, I haven't had the ZL1 to a track yet, so I am not sure. But the Camaro people are the best!

i agree most corvette owners are snooty, know it alls, who don't drive their car. and would rather spend 1500 on a new steering wheel than real mods. I love the car but can't stand the owners

08vette 12-04-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snackbar64 (Post 7165054)
That is not true. Most people I encounter can't stop staring at the car. I get neck snapping stares on the highway or when the car is parked. It's really a head turning design and the visual asthetics of performance package of this car sets I apart from anything else. It just looks special.

regular v6 camaros get major looks and stares, but a majority of people think a zl1 is a camaro with some extra ground effects

noxqq 12-04-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08vette (Post 7235531)
i agree most corvette owners are snooty, know it alls, who don't drive their car. and would rather spend 1500 on a new steering wheel than real mods. I love the car but can't stand the owners

First let me say that I like my ZL1 the best of any car that I have ever owned. But, I have owned 5 Corvettes in the past 3 decades.

I remember many years ago asking a girl who I had only known briefly for a date. I picked her up in my Corvette instead of my DD. We hadn't gone 5 miles when she said, "I always thought all Corvette owners were azzholes." To this day, I don't know if she meant that I was an azzhole because I owned a Corvette or that because I wasn't an azzhole, then I shouldn't own a Corvette. :noidea:

hognutz 12-04-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08vette (Post 7235544)
regular v6 camaros get major looks and stares, but a majority of people think a zl1 is a camaro with some extra ground effects

actaully most people do not think this at all. maybe it is the 3-4k piece of carbon fiber in the hood.

most people look at it for a second then say "is the the model with the corvette motor" ha ha.

not realizing the SS has the corvette motor and the Zl1 has the CTS-V motor.

My Z06 did turn mor heads universally though but there are like 6 in my town and I am still the only ZL1 so I feel like more a trophy husband based on exclusivity. ha ha.

Corvette owners always though I was wierd because I drove the piss out of my car by there standards and pushed it hard.

gen=5 12-04-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitri (Post 7119847)
Hey fellas anybody do this jump over to the c7
Your opinions would be great

It does not matter what anyone else thinks,unless your the type of person that lives to only please everyone but yourself..test drive it either you like it or you dont !!!! good luck

ZL1-V 12-04-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08vette (Post 7235544)

I have not had that happen to me yet. The difference I have noticed is it's stance when parked. The front end and the CF hood extraction scoop indicate this ain't no V6 Camaro with a body kit added. The people I encountered and spoken with seem to already know exactly what a ZL1 Camaro is. The SS and even some of the Corvette owners I see while driving usually won't even acknowledge me or try and rev their engines and speed off. There are lots of Vettes and Camaro's where I live.

Whos_Drivin 12-04-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hognutz (Post 7235675)

most people look at it for a second then say "is the the model with the corvette motor" ha ha.

I get the "is that the one with the corvette motor?" all the time.

Then there's my neighbor with a GT500 whos been telling others he thinks mine is just a v6. I've been putting around the neighborhood quietly waiting for his garage queen to make an appearance at the same time I'm heading out. Not sure if he's purposely down playing my car or is just that clueless.

ZL1-V 12-04-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin (Post 7235806)
I get the "is that the one with the corvette motor?" all the time.

Then there's my neighbor with a GT500 whos been telling others he thinks mine is just a v6. I've been putting around the neighborhood quietly waiting for his garage queen to make an appearance at the same time I'm heading out. Not sure if he's purposely down playing my car or is just that clueless.

Possibly a little of both? It sounds as if he might be a "poser"? True gear heads know what each car is including other makes beyond GM and Ford. Just my opinion.

Normagene 12-05-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL1-V (Post 7236883)
Possibly a little of both? It sounds as if he might be a "poser"? True gear heads know what each car is including other makes beyond GM and Ford. Just my opinion.

True! The key word being "gear heads". Your average guy/gal can't tell or even knows there is a difference, its a Camaro. If they put a four banger in one it will be even more people owning them and even more thinking its all the same car. In the Vette world, makes no difference if its a Stingray, Z06, or the mighty ZR1, everyone knows its special, a beast of a machine, and just looks sporty, to some it looks sexy. And they, the novice car folk, know its powerful and fast. I doubt an owner ever hears "is that a four or six cylinder" under the hood???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whos_Drivin 12-05-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL1-V (Post 7236883)

Normally I couldn't care less about if someone thinks I have a Camry, but if he wants to run his mouth I'm not above making him look like a fool. I have a feeling I know more about his car than he does. I'm just waiting for the right moment.

dgerstel 12-05-2013 05:52 PM

Let me begin with, I absolutely love my ZL1, it looks great and is an awsome car, BUT now that I have driven my new C7, the ZL1 is going up for sale. The C7 is quieter, rides better, is more comfortable, has a better sound system, has cooled seats, even more controls than the ZL1, plus a few upgrades that are not available on the ZL1, it is just a great car. It is not the car for everyone, but every time the wife and I head out, we both chose the C7 to go in.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...nyl-159958.jpg

Dale
2014 Corvette
Z51, 3LT, Torch red, red interior, Black Wheels, Red Brake calipers, Auto, Mag ride, performance exhaust, Exposed Carbon fiber roof, Carbon Fiber dash, Black mirrors and spoiler
2013 Camaro ZL1 IOM

Normagene 12-05-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgerstel (Post 7239296)
Let me begin with, I absolutely love my ZL1, it looks great and is an awsome car, BUT now that I have driven my new C7, the ZL1 is going up for sale. The C7 is quieter, rides better, is more comfortable, has a better sound system, has cooled seats, even more controls than the ZL1, plus a few upgrades that are not available on the ZL1, it is just a great car. It is not the car for everyone, but every time the wife and I head out, we both chose the C7 to go in.

Dale
2014 Corvette
Z51, 3LT, Torch red, red interior, Black Wheels, Red Brake calipers, Auto, Mag ride, performance exhaust, Exposed Carbon fiber roof, Carbon Fiber dash, Black mirrors and spoiler
2013 Camaro ZL1 IOM

Great look'n ride. I was reading the top portion while looking at the picture. As I'm reading, simultaneously going on in the back of my mind is; 3LT, T-Red, Adrenaline Red interior, probably Mag & Exhaust, ECF Roof w/Body color matching trim , Carbon Flash hood, but I have to admit I missed the auto, guessed manual. That is one gorgeous sexy sweet ride.

Have you ever tracked the ZL1, and if so do you plan to also track your new Stingray? Love to hear a comparison from somebody who has owned/tracked both.

jessrayo 12-05-2013 06:53 PM

I waited for 3 months to get a build allocation for a C7 from my dealership, then I saw my used ZL1 up for sale. I looked at the bottom line and did a little math and figured I could build an amazing ZL1 for less than the price of my pending C7 as ordered. I heard about the ZL1 run on the ring and figured it would make an acceptable base to build from. I have had a few hiccups along the way and as with building anything....It always costs more than what you planned but I'm fairly certain my ZL1 will outrun that C7 on all but tightest road course and it will whip it in any straight line race. I bought the car to play with at racing venues and I think I have a better racing car dollar for dollar. My resale is crap compared to the C7 but oh well, the smiles when passing EVERYTHING down the back straight are priceless.

Normagene 12-05-2013 07:16 PM

That's the advantage of a Muscle Car over a Sports Car. Sure you can mod the Stingray, but Muscle Cars are designed with mods in mind. Just pump'em up full of steriods and build the massive monster of your dreams. My hubby loves the new Stingray, and I tell him its the perfect car for Old Fart like him!

ZL1Darkone 12-06-2013 06:09 PM

Well, buying a new car, as we all know, is not logical as your value drops the minute you drive it off the lot.
Buying a brand new release compounds this further....
Imagine people paying 65 to 78k + for the new C7 and two years from now you can buy them used for 45k???
We are into supercar ZR1 territory ....no way I would buy a C7 over a Zr1!!

Great car, right now unfortunately, it is a waste of money....

Like the GT500, couldn't find one a year ago for less than 75k...now they are 55k...

JackalopeZL1 12-06-2013 06:15 PM

this is earth shattering news

ZL1Darkone 12-06-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgerstel (Post 7239296)

Dale
2014 Corvette
2013 Camaro ZL1 IOM

How much did it cost you? 65 to 75 k? Because if you paid retail for that around mid 50's Ill eat crow ...because your car is bad ass!

tones2SS 12-06-2013 07:22 PM

Call me crazy, but I like the ZL1 better than the C7.
Don't get me wrong, the C7 is an amazing car and will beat a lot of cars on the road, but I just think the ZL1 looks better.

Whos_Drivin 12-06-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tones2SS (Post 7242614)
Call me crazy, but I like the ZL1 better than the C7.
Don't get me wrong, the C7 is an amazing car and will beat a lot of cars on the road, but I just think the ZL1 looks better.

I'll second that.

serviceguy 12-06-2013 11:02 PM

I'll third that, I like the styling of the ZL1 better.

Hulkamaniac 12-06-2013 11:43 PM

Sold my ZL1 and ordered the C7...

Arctic White, 2LT, Auto, Z51, Magnetic Ride, Black Leather, Performance Exhaust, Clear Tinted Roof, Chrome Rims, Stinger Stripe, Navigation

Why? Looks, speed, handling, mileage, better resale, etc.

Why the hate on Vette owners? :iono: I've seen more car snobs who own Camaros. Especially those who didn't own the 5th Gen.

Normagene 12-07-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingraySteve (Post 7243216)

Arctic White, 2LT, Auto, Z51, Magnetic Ride, Black Leather, Performance Exhaust, Clear Tinted Roof, Chrome Rims, Stinger Stripe, Navigation

Why the hate on Vette owners? :iono: I've seen more car snobs who own Camaros. Especially those who didn't own the 5th Gen.

Congrats! Love the Arctic White, are those the Dual Full Body Stripes? I'm only at the "looking" stage of the game, trying to see in person all my "must see" colors. Still trying to find a white and gray, also two "must see" interior options; the Carbon Fiber dash and the Sueded Micro-fiber. Love those Competition Bucket Seats! Gotta give those a try as well. Don't like the way the entire dash is covered in the 3LT in Kalahari and Brownstone, wish it were done like the Adrenaline Red, which only has some Red trim on the dash. 2LT in either of those three has no color on the dash, so if I go with a Brownstone or Kalahari it will be the 2LT.

Again Congrats! Enjoy and be safe!

ZL1Darkone 12-07-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingraySteve (Post 7243216)

How much did it cost you? I would love to pick one of these up but here in Houston they are 65 to 70K ...so "better resale" isn't going to apply...;)