Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Locked out - Heads up. (my fault) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415415)

BiGBaD 07-08-2015 07:10 PM

Locked out - Heads up. (my fault)

My extra set of keys were in the console. My other in the seat and locked myself out. Four emergency unlock services couldn't get in. (Have AT&T roadside assistance) Told the dispatchers you can't get in with the side airbag thing. But regardless one after another showed up trying to get in by prying the window. No matter how much I stressed it.

Finally I called a locksmith that got it open going down the door. Slim Jim method. Nobody does that anymore around here.

Just a heads up. The window goes down when you open the door. The side airbag method will shatter your window.

I never activated OnStar and you can't without pushing the button inside the car.

Great for security, bad for being locked out.

:gossip:

shibbs 07-08-2015 07:30 PM

You can call Onstar if you subscribe and they'll unlock it remotely.

So Cal Camaro 07-08-2015 07:35 PM

With Onstar and their App, you can lock and unlock from your smartphone...but yeah, I'd have been right there with you on this one, no Onstar for me either...

TommyTheCat 07-08-2015 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibbs (Post 8522865)
You can call Onstar if you subscribe and they'll unlock it remotely.

But they won't help you out if you weren't already subscribed. If you didn't renew it and call from outside the car, they'll say you have to push the button in order to start the membership and won't help you until you do that.

Bizaro 07-08-2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyTheCat (Post 8522874)
But they won't help you out if you weren't already subscribed. If you didn't renew it and call from outside the car, they'll say you have to push the button in order to start the membership and won't help you until you do that.

lmao what a bunch of d***s

BiGBaD 07-08-2015 08:12 PM

Yep... You have to push the button. No help if locked out. lol.

Coop1701 07-08-2015 08:30 PM

I unlock mine from My iPhone all the time.

flyer08 07-08-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizaro (Post 8522906)
lmao what a bunch of d***s

So when I see your car I just pull the vin off the dash and call Onstar?

Most people on here are to cheap and then bitch and complain when something happens because they didn't prepare

SlingShot 07-08-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyer08 (Post 8522975)
So when I see your car I just pull the vin off the dash and call Onstar?

Most people on here are to cheap and then bitch and complain when something happens because they didn't prepare

:word:

On a side note, for the MY16 you won't have to worry about it any more. The key fob doesn't have to leave your pocket, to unlock or start the car. Also as long as the key fob is in the car, you can't accidentally.

shibbs 07-08-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 8523027)
:word:

On a side note, for the MY16 you won't have to worry about it any more. The key fob doesn't have to leave your pocket, to unlock or start the car. Also as long as the key fob is in the car, you can't accidentally.

You say this, but...

I work at BMW and most of our cars have "Comfort Access" which is the keyless proximity fob. Those get lost more often than regular keys because people don't have to pay much attention to them.
Also, the key is only "looked for" by the car when you hit the START button, and not anymore until you start the car again. So theoretically you could drop the key outside the car, get in, start it, and drive over the key and drive 1500 miles away. You'd only know the next morning when the car wouldn't open when you walked up to it.

CCMADONNA 07-08-2015 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop1701 (Post 8522971)

This.

Spec 07-08-2015 10:25 PM

Glad they didn't damage your door seals while trying to pry into your ride like some fools did one time to mine! :emoticon1:

The worst of that happened to me at a Carwash one day. THEY locked the keys in my ride and tried to hack into it without my permission. Tore up the seals real good. Eventually they had to call AAA.

They paid to replace them, and Caliber Collision did a great job installing, but you can imagine the horror, I'm sure.

I'm old school so haven't felt the need for Onstar really, lol. On that day though it would have been Boss.

skipinminn 07-08-2015 10:41 PM

ON STAR saved my ass twice both cars LOL

trodecke 07-08-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop1701 (Post 8522971)

As best I understand it, 2014s and above will have the "Key Fob" commands from the Onstar app for 5 years from date of purchase, even if they don't subscribe to Onstar. I use mine to remotely start my car from the office before heading out for the day. Makes the car nice and cool in those 100+ degree days. :) I did not subscribe to Onstar.