Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Conversation w/ Engineer who developed ZL1 Steering (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297595)

NerdWerx 05-24-2013 07:30 PM

Conversation w/ Engineer who developed ZL1 Steering

I just got home from the local car show here in Southwest Michigan. It's at Lane Automotive, which if you haven't heard of is a big distributor like Summit Racing. Anyway, I had my ZL1 there and shortly before I was getting ready to leave a guy named Kirby came up and started chatting with me. Apparently he was the engineer who designed the steering system in the ZL1. He had a lot of neat information about testing the car and some features that I, personally didn't know about the steering system in the ZL1. I guess that according to each driving mode the PTM is in the steering is also completely changed. For full-on racing the steering has very little assist compared to touring mode. It makes sense but I never really read anywhere where the steering was actually tuned differently for the different PTM modes.

I asked him what he's working on now and, of course, he couldn't say. So I asked him when I would get to see what he's working on now and he said "2016". So, speculation says it *COULD* be a new Camaro. Heck, if he worked on the steering system for the ZL1, what's the chances he'd work on the 6th Gen?

Anyway, Kirby, if you're reading this I really appreciate the conversation and thank you a ton for the info. I really hope anything I said here doesn't get you busted or anything. These are, after all, just my opinions.

URBAN LEGEND 07-13-2013 02:15 PM

Not necessarily a new Camaro. Might be working on improvements on PTM which could show up then.

KKreme15 07-13-2013 02:44 PM

Did you ask him why our power steering goes out sometimes?

zl1bro 07-15-2013 11:49 AM

Is there any written info on the steering changes in the various PTM modes? Curious about the changes from mode to mode. I honestly haven't been able to feel a big change mode to mode when I'm driving..

ZL1-V 07-15-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zl1bro (Post 6780572)
Is there any written info on the steering changes in the various PTM modes? Curious about the changes from mode to mode. I honestly haven't been able to feel a big change mode to mode when I'm driving..

The big change in steering wheel feeling is when the "nannies" are off completely. The wheel becomes a bit more responsive, quicker if you will. Be careful if you have never driven the car with traction control and stability control switched off.

ZEDL1 07-15-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zl1bro (Post 6780572)

One in the series of introductory videos for ZL1 owners that GM produced for us does touch upon this, but without a lot of detail, as I recall.

zl1bro 07-15-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL1-V (Post 6780721)
The big change in steering wheel feeling is when the "nannies" are off completely. The wheel becomes a bit more responsive, quicker if you will. Be careful if you have never driven the car with traction control and stability control switched off.

I have driven in all modes but #5.. Will have to check that out and see what the steering feels like..

URBAN LEGEND 07-15-2013 04:56 PM

I want the heavier PTM 5 steering in PTM 3. Can tuners make this happen?