Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   GM Oil pump fail (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324731)

gr8daneh 10-24-2013 09:21 AM

GM Oil pump fail

Hi guys, finally got bit. Started it up and rolled about 50 feet and got the dreaded "No Oil Pressure" message. Shut it down. I know you've heard this story before. Here is the twist...

This was already a new pump installed when I did my CAM at 10,000 miles. I am now just over 25,000. JDP motorsports suggested the early change as a preventive measure at that time. Little did they know that the GM pumps continue to fail even in the new year models and was not just a bad batch problem. They have fixed 6 other Camaro's already this year apparently.

So the moral to my story and maybe what you readers should take away is don't replace bad with bad. I am going to put a Melling oil pump in this time which is what JDP is using going forward. I am just hoping that there was no damage up top to add to my grief.

That is all! Have a good day.

:violin:

Unobtainium 10-24-2013 09:41 AM

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully no damage!!

briancb1 10-24-2013 12:28 PM

Sorry to hear but wow lack of details.How did it fail?Debris cause a the reliefe plunger to be stuck i assume? No aftermarket pump will fix that unfortunetly as they all are copies of the OE design in that regard.Bad batch? What was bad about them?

jth6373 10-24-2013 12:31 PM

Is it a more aggressive cam which is causing these to break, or is this happening on stock engines as well?

litle88 10-24-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancb1 (Post 7122272)
Sorry to hear but wow lack of details.How did it fail?Debris cause a the reliefe plunger to be stuck i assume? No aftermarket pump will fix that unfortunetly as they all are copies of the OE design in that regard.Bad batch? What was bad about them?

No it is not a copy melling 10296's are of different materials and are blue printed. The plunger sticks or the rotors gall due to two cheap metals in contact with each other.

Ls pumps have sucked since 1997 they are all the same. Except the L99's but the melling a are still an upgrade.

litle88 10-24-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jth6373 (Post 7122287)
Is it a more aggressive cam which is causing these to break, or is this happening on stock engines as well?

Pump failures have absolutely NO correlation with big cams.

gr8daneh 10-24-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancb1 (Post 7122272)

Unknown what the failure mechanism is. The event was just last night. JDP is going to open it up this weekend, but all indicators are debris causing a stuck plunger which is the common failure mode with the GM pumps.

:emoticon1:

gr8daneh 10-29-2013 09:44 AM

Fuuuuuu****K! Just got the verdict. Scored my CAM to sh*t, lifters are bad, check valve completely stuck open on pump = no pressure. Only ran for less than a minute this way. Looks like major dollars for less than 15,000 miles of run time. Can't believe it. :((

vroomapunk 10-29-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8daneh (Post 7137301)
Fuuuuuu****K! Just got the verdict. Scored my CAM to sh*t, lifters are bad, check valve completely stuck open on pump = no pressure. Only ran for less than a minute this way. Looks like major dollars for less than 15,000 miles of run time. Can't believe it. :((

What a nightmare, sorry man, thats awful.

strych9 10-29-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8daneh (Post 7137301)

Question then is: did the cam disintegrate first, introducing metal into the oil and causing the oil pump regulator to stick? Seems to be common, and frankly makes me very nervous, given my setup.

Cam brand? Oil brand?

Sorry for your troubles, OP. Good luck, my friend.

gr8daneh 10-29-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroomapunk (Post 7137327)
What a nightmare, sorry man, thats awful.

Thanks! Appreciate the empathy...

Quote:

Question then is: did the cam disintegrate first, introducing metal into the oil and causing the oil pump regulator to stick? Seems to be common, and frankly makes me very nervous, given my setup.

Cam brand? Oil brand?

Sorry for your troubles, OP. Good luck, my friend.
CAM Is missing a chunk, not sure that happened first. Comp CAM, Mobil synthetic. Thanks for the wishes.

litle88 10-29-2013 05:03 PM

Mobil 1 makes me cringe when guys/gals get aggressive cams

BigRed 10-29-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 7138758)
Mobil 1 makes me cringe when guys/gals get aggressive cams

May I ask why? I'm actually curious due to the fact I'm going in for a Cam install Monday and that's what they said they are going to put in the car.

Irnwkrkev 10-29-2013 06:52 PM

Sounds like another one of the comp cam failures. A chunk of a cam for less then 60 seconds without oil pressure seems like a bit much.

I once had a Dodge Ram with a 318 where the old gasket stuck to the block after changing the oil and filter. With more then 1 minute running driving to an exit with no oil pressure I had the truck towed home, put a new filter and oil, and all's well for 140,000 miles and counting (my brother in-law still has it on the road).

I've got a the factory oil pump in my car with over 30,000 miles since a cam swap (ZR1 cam) with nothing but Mobil 1 0W40. The rev limiter is set at 6,800 rpm and is brought that high pretty frequently with dozens of 1/8 mile passes. Only at my last oil change did I start adding a ZDP additive.

Granted my cam uses stock springs which aren't high pressure but I wonder how many of the oil pump failures posted have been with comp cams?